Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 479816 times)

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1800 on: March 01, 2022, 02:42:32 pm »
ok, thank you for the explication, so the power supply on the LiteVNA modification is not important to reduce the noise after 400Khz.

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1801 on: March 01, 2022, 03:24:01 pm »
ok, thank you for the explication, so the power supply on the LiteVNA modification is not important to reduce the noise after 400Khz.

Solving the noise Flipper was seeing is very important!  I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.   The modifications you posted are not understood and we chose to solve it a different way to avoid potential problems. 

Did you run the cal as I suggested and prove it to yourself?
Did you run the VNA off an external supply as I suggested, to force the condition and then try to improve it with calibration? 

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1802 on: March 01, 2022, 06:11:40 pm »
Re: Getting started with hardware.  Versions and connection success.
1. Versions
"THIS IS NOT THE LATEST RELEASE AND ONLY SUPPORTS THE V2 PLUS. IT SHOULD BE INSTALLED FIRST!"
I've installed and am running the program. Indicates it is Rev 0.10.
Where is Rev 2.05 & 2.07 as shown in manual?

2. Connection state looking good.
Windows Device manager sees the nanos' connections.  As stated in manual, this install(0.10) links with the v2plus4 but not the original nano. I look forward to comparing results from the two.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1803 on: March 01, 2022, 08:14:23 pm »
1. Versions
"THIS IS NOT THE LATEST RELEASE AND ONLY SUPPORTS THE V2 PLUS. IT SHOULD BE INSTALLED FIRST!"

Windows Device manager sees the nanos' connections.  As stated in manual, this install(0.10) links with the v2plus4 but not the original nano. I look forward to comparing results from the two.

Make sure you select the correct branch.   
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg4021102/#msg4021102

Also
The few people who follow my channel also may have seen the following where I talk about how to install it.
https://youtu.be/scZ3kZ4Q2sQ?t=1045
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 08:17:02 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1804 on: March 01, 2022, 08:26:00 pm »
Re: branch choice on install
I never saw a place to make a choice.  Was this a file selection or installer option?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1805 on: March 01, 2022, 08:37:08 pm »
Re: branch choice on install
I never saw a place to make a choice.  Was this a file selection or installer option?

Press the Main button to show the available branches.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1806 on: March 01, 2022, 08:44:09 pm »
Once you select the correct branch, you need to select the ZIP file

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1807 on: March 01, 2022, 08:45:25 pm »
After selecting the ZIP file, you must download it to your PC.    It will need to be decompressed before it will run. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1808 on: March 01, 2022, 08:50:14 pm »
To save the file to your PC, you will need to select save and then press the OK button.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1809 on: March 01, 2022, 09:01:08 pm »
You will need to decompress the file.  I use 7-zip.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1810 on: March 01, 2022, 09:12:24 pm »
I suggest you also read the following post:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg4021714/#msg4021714

If you are still having problems, provide details and maybe I can walk you through it.   

If you do manage to figure out how to get it running, I am not sure you will get the results you are looking for.  The impedance you are targeting could very well be far below what the NanoVNA can measure.  You will also have to remove the ground loop between the two ports and you will need a way to block the DC.  If you get all of that sorted out, the next problem will be not damaging the VNA when making the measurements!    :-DD   You should be able to get down below 10mOhms.  20kHz or so is doable. 

Out side of Flipper and myself, I am not aware of anyone else attempting to make these measurements (with the NanoVNA).   Let me know how it works out.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 09:13:59 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1811 on: March 01, 2022, 09:16:05 pm »
The modification is suggested by Hugen "

Since LiteVNA is designed to work without a battery installed, it switches to using USB power directly when connected to USB power. When working with the USB power supply, the voltage of the input DC-DC boost power supply is very close to the voltage of the output, resulting in a very narrow PWM pulse bandwidth of the switching power supply, and these pulses may enter the IF, resulting in large measurement noise.
To avoid this interference, the power supply circuit can be modified so that the input to the switching power supply always comes from LiteVNA64 circuits are slightly different, with the following modifications.

LiteVNA64: Remove D1 R7 R1
Please disconnect the battery and USB power connection when modifying the circuit. The battery must be connected after the modification is completed to work properly.

"For me is impossible to make this modification for my sight and some shaking hand"
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 09:25:22 pm by realfran »

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1812 on: March 01, 2022, 09:36:17 pm »
Re: Finding installation files
Thanks for the details.  GitHub is not intuitive.  Installs went fine. Linking successful for both nanoVNA's.
My computer has a 1920x1080 pixel screen.  Your program interface has lots of details. Could you enable a larger(stretchable?) VI window?
Thank you!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1813 on: March 01, 2022, 09:56:16 pm »
Re: Finding installation files
Thanks for the details.  GitHub is not intuitive.  Installs went fine. Linking successful for both nanoVNA's.
My computer has a 1920x1080 pixel screen.  Your program interface has lots of details. Could you enable a larger(stretchable?) VI window?
Thank you!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg3986420/#msg3986420

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1814 on: March 01, 2022, 10:12:23 pm »
My software was released to the public over a year ago.  Most of the basic questions have been asked and answered a few times over.     In the upper right corner, there is a search button.   You can type in what you want to search and the select the search button.   

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1815 on: March 01, 2022, 10:23:56 pm »
Re: VI screen size
I followed link supplied and then followed those links. Reading your replies leads me to think you are aware of the screen real estate issues,  like program's current behavior and do not intend to modify the interface options.  Correct?
I tried all permutations in the compatibility properties as suggested by ALW on 210805 in this thread. One option made window smaller, but nothing increased the window size.

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1816 on: March 01, 2022, 10:39:44 pm »
Re: Adjusting VI window size
I found two references to controlling VI window size programmatically. Perhaps one method will work?
https://lavag.org/topic/8691-how-to-scale-ui-for-different-monitors/

https://labviewwiki.org/wiki/VI_class/Front_Panel_Window.Minimum_Size_property

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1817 on: March 01, 2022, 11:12:10 pm »
Re: VI screen size
I followed link supplied and then followed those links. Reading your replies leads me to think you are aware of the screen real estate issues,  like program's current behavior and do not intend to modify the interface options.  Correct?
I tried all permutations in the compatibility properties as suggested by ALW on 210805 in this thread. One option made window smaller, but nothing increased the window size.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg3813893/#msg3813893

I have no plans to change this.
I didn't realize this was ambiguous statement.  You are correct.   

While I hadn't planned on a PC 101 course,  another options to change the Windows resolution is to right click on the screen and select "display settings".   Press "Identify" then select the monitor you want to change the resolution.  You need to select the box with the number.   Scroll down and select the "Display resolution".  It's a pulldown menu and you will need to press the button.   Change it to 1280 x 720.   

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1818 on: March 01, 2022, 11:26:57 pm »
Re: 1280x720
LCD screens lose sharpness when displayed at something other than their optimum resolution. I thought the links I found would suggest a solution for different screen sizes. Window size does seem to be a recurring issue for users.
Thanks for your efforts.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1819 on: March 01, 2022, 11:59:15 pm »
Re: Adjusting VI window size
I found two references to controlling VI window size programmatically. Perhaps one method will work?
https://lavag.org/topic/8691-how-to-scale-ui-for-different-monitors/

https://labviewwiki.org/wiki/VI_class/Front_Panel_Window.Minimum_Size_property

Re: 1280x720
LCD screens lose sharpness when displayed at something other than their optimum resolution. I thought the links I found would suggest a solution for different screen sizes. Window size does seem to be a recurring issue for users.
Thanks for your efforts.

Indeed.  There's a reason they have a recommended setting and why I buy hardware that suits my needs.     

Quick background.   I was reacquainted with LabView 3 and started using it when 4 was released.  I bought it for my own personal use when 5 was released.  I'm by no means any sort of expert but I'm familiar with it enough to be able to have a discussion.   

I'm certainly open to your ideas about how to improve my software.   NI offers LabView free of charge but I expect you already have it.    I suggest we start with you coding up how you envision my software should work.  Use what version of LabView you are comfortable with.   Then we can go over it.   I've already mentioned some of the problems but I suspect you have ideas on how to solve them.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1820 on: March 02, 2022, 01:11:42 pm »
Using my V2+4, I lowered the supply voltage like we had with the LiteVNA to solve the noise problem.  Even with as low as 4.5,  there was no improvement.   

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1821 on: March 02, 2022, 04:33:04 pm »
Re: VI window size
First impression indicates newer versions of Labview have ability to adjust window size for monitors of different resolution. I don't know whether those functions are available for Labview 5. I'll look into it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1822 on: March 02, 2022, 04:51:40 pm »
Re: VI window size
First impression indicates newer versions of Labview have ability to adjust window size for monitors of different resolution. I don't know whether those functions are available for Labview 5. I'll look into it.

I haven't used LV5 in I would guess 20 years.  For your demo, just use what ever version you have available.

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1823 on: March 02, 2022, 05:15:44 pm »
What version of Labview are you using to create the program?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1824 on: March 02, 2022, 05:24:50 pm »
What version of Labview are you using to create the program?

1. Versions

Make sure you select the correct branch.   
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg4021102/#msg4021102

Of course....
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg4021555/#msg4021555
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 05:26:57 pm by joeqsmith »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf