Author Topic: Off the shelf transformer for DC-DC converter, 1W, 100kHz  (Read 678 times)

Offline ivan747Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Off the shelf transformer for DC-DC converter, 1W, 100kHz
« on: May 28, 2022, 07:17:18 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm designing an isolated DC-DC converter circuit, for low volume manufacturing (1k to 5k units). It will step up 5V into +/-10V at 1W. I have some noise requirements to meet, so off-the-shelf DC-DC converter blocks are not an option. Isolation voltage is not super critical, probably won't exceed 60V. I'm having trouble finding transformers like this for my application, so maybe I'm not looking on the right places (maybe there are RF applications for a transformer like this). I saw some audio transformers but they seem too low power. Any hints? Thanks.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Off the shelf transformer for DC-DC converter, 1W, 100kHz
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 07:28:21 pm »
Wurth has a whole range of dc-dc converter transformers. But what makes you think you can design something better compared to off-the-shelve? You'll still need to deal with leakage between primary and secondary and getting rid of switching noise.
A better route is likely to put filtering at the primary and secondary side of an off-the-shelve converter and make sure the HF leakage current can flow from secondary to primary inside a small loop area. There are also shielded DC-DC converters available for noise sensitive applications.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 08:38:23 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf