Author Topic: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?  (Read 56788 times)

0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online ftg

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 498
  • Country: fi
    • ftg's RF hax paeg
just released K5TOOL v1.8 with support for bootloader v5.

https://github.com/qrp73/K5TOOL/releases

Great work!
I'll test this with my V5 radio later today to confirm.
 

Offline eXisten

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 14
  • Country: pl
Yes, Great work!

Now, if I unpacked egzumer_v0.22.bin to egzumer_v0.22.raw (saved exactly like that), can I safely try to upload the software to the device?

If I have copies of my_calibration.bin and my_config.bin, will I be able to revert to the original version in the same way?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 07:10:18 pm by eXisten »
 

Online radiolistener

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5741
  • Country: Earth
Now, if I unpacked egzumer_v0.22.bin to egzumer_v0.22.raw (saved exactly like that), can I safely try to upload the software to the device?

egzumer firmware uses * for version, so there is no need to unpack it, you can flash it as is with command -wrflash.

Unpack is needed for original firmware, because it has version which will not be accepted by bootloader.
You can specify version manually for unpacked firmware image to bypass bootloader version check.
But since original firmware depends on NVR content, you cannot run original firmware v2 on v5.
So, this operation useless with no NVR change.

If I have copies of my_calibration.bin and my_config.bin, will I be able to revert to the original version in the same way?

just run when the radio is powered on:
Code: [Select]
./k5tool -rdee
it will save full eeprom backup to eeprom-0000-2000.raw, save this file if you want to revert all configuration and calibrations back.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 07:24:25 pm by radiolistener »
 
The following users thanked this post: bingo600, eXisten, adisapta

Offline eXisten

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 14
  • Country: pl
Yes! It works!

Thanks for the great work guys!
 

Online radiolistener

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5741
  • Country: Earth
If you want to revert back to the stock v5, here is packed stock firmware v5.00.05:
 
The following users thanked this post: eXisten, Tumsk

Offline eXisten

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 14
  • Country: pl
Once again - many thanks!
 

Offline Tumsk

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: gb
Great work guys, I just received one of the 2nd generation UV5R Plus units with the v5.00.01 bootloader and v5.00.05 factory firmware.
  • It's got a 2024 serial number.
  • It's factory marked as 8w output on the radio label but <= 5W in the manual.
  • A USB-C charging port is present (and there is a reference to an on-screen USB charging icon in the manual, but I do not see it on the LCD).
  • USB-C port does not support USB-C PD charging (or QC3.0), so it still needs a standard dumb USB charge port to charge at c. 4.7W
  • The battery is labelled as 3800mAh but also labelled 15.84Wh (which would make it 2200mAh) so I'm doubtful about real capacity.
  • Factory firmware updater v1.1.12 does not support the radio. Factory CPS 1.0.38 appear to support this radio.

So nothing obvious to suggest any hardware change that would warrant a new major boot/firmware revision.

With the eeprom read and the file stored safely away. Thanks to your hard work, I'll be flashing my favourite firmware tomorrow!  :-+

 

Offline adisapta

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: id
it works !!...

Thanks a lot...appreciate your hard work.... :-+

btw, I've 2nd generation UV5R Plus unit with the v5.00.01 bootloader and v5.00.05 factory firmware with USB charging port
Now have IJV on it...

once again... big thanks... !!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 04:41:19 pm by adisapta »
 

Offline Chris79

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: gb
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2024, 11:53:33 am »
I can confirm it's working fine for me too.

Thanks to all that figured it out.

I flashed F4HWN 3.3 onto my new UV-5R plus this morning using K5Tool v1.8 on my Raspberry Pi 5 and copied all data onto it from another K5 using Chirp.
 

Offline onurhan

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: tr
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2024, 11:10:26 am »
Hi, everyone

Using Flash Mode;
While I'm doing the operation, I get the following error on the command line. Can you help?

Opening COM8
Handshake...
[ERROR] InvalidOperationException: Unexpected response Packet5FlashBeaconAck {
  HdrSize=32
  Version="5.00.01"
  K0=0x02030201
  K1=0x334a530c
  K2=0x0dff434d
  K3=0x00a3006f
}

Using Normal Mode;
k5tool -port COM8 -hello
Opening COM8
Handshake...
   Firmware:         "5.00.03"
   HasCustomAesKey:  0
   IsPasswordLocked: 0
Using ProtocolV2...
Done
« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 11:16:31 am by onurhan »
 

Online radiolistener

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5741
  • Country: Earth
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2024, 11:20:09 am »
Using Flash Mode;
While I'm doing the operation, I get the following error on the command line. Can you help?

Opening COM8
Handshake...
[ERROR] InvalidOperationException: Unexpected response Packet5FlashBeaconAck {
  HdrSize=32
  Version="5.00.01"
  K0=0x02030201
  K1=0x334a530c
  K2=0x0dff434d
  K3=0x00a3006f
}

If you have carefully read the README, to perform the firmware update, you need to put the radio into firmware update mode. This is done by disconnecting the cable, turning off the radio, then turning it on while holding the PTT button. After that, connect the cable and run the update command.

It is also important to note that the firmware update mode is intended only for updating the firmware, all other operations, including reading/writing the EEPROM, should be done in the normal mode.

The firmware update will not work if the radio is powered on in normal mode, in this case, the error will be displayed.

The same, if you attempt to perform any operation other than the firmware update while radio is in firmware update mode, it will result to an error, as in your case. Such operations must be performed when the radio is powered on in normal mode.

Firmware update mode == for firmware opdate command only!

Normal mode == for all other commands
« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 11:31:42 am by radiolistener »
 

Offline onurhan

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: tr
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2024, 11:31:34 am »
Hello;
Yes, the device is in firmware mode. I turn it on by pressing the PTT button, then I plug in the cable and the light on it is constantly on. But I still have the problem I posted.
 

Offline onurhan

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: tr
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2024, 11:32:14 am »
Using Normal Mode (not firmware mode);
k5tool -port COM8 -hello
Opening COM8
Handshake...
   Firmware:         "5.00.03"
   HasCustomAesKey:  0
   IsPasswordLocked: 0
Using ProtocolV2...
Done
 

Online radiolistener

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5741
  • Country: Earth
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2024, 11:33:44 am »
Yes, the device is in firmware mode. I turn it on by pressing the PTT button, then I plug in the cable and the light on it is constantly on. But I still have the problem I posted.

The error you posted indicates that you're attempting to execute a non-firmware update command while the radio is still in firmware update mode. This is not the correct usage.

Using Normal Mode (not firmware mode);
k5tool -port COM8 -hello
Opening COM8
Handshake...
   Firmware:         "5.00.03"
   HasCustomAesKey:  0
   IsPasswordLocked: 0
Using ProtocolV2...
Done

Yes, this is expected behavior for normal mode. hello command is intended just to show the firmware version.

What operation you want to do?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 11:38:39 am by radiolistener »
 

Offline onurhan

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: tr
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2024, 11:37:12 am »
I would be very happy if you could write me exactly how I should do it. Thank you for everything.
 

Online radiolistener

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5741
  • Country: Earth
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2024, 11:44:05 am »
I would be very happy if you could write me exactly how I should do it. Thank you for everything.

Your screenshot shows that you're trying to execute the -hello command while the radio is in firmware update mode. As I mentioned earlier, only the firmware update command can be executed in this mode, all other commands (include -hello) will not work and should not be used in this mode.

This error is expected behavior because you execute -hello command in firmware update mode. This command should be executed in normal mode.

Could you explain what you want to do?


If you want to update firmware, you need to execute -wrflash command, NOT -hello.

For example:
Code: [Select]
k5tool -port COM8 -wrflash <your firmware file>
Replace <your firmware file> with filename of your firmware.

But before firmware update I strongly recommend to backup EEPROM dump, it should be executed in normal mode.

So your steps to update firmware are following:
1) download firmware file which you want to upload. Note that you have v5 boot, so old official firmware will not work. But custom firmware will works.

2) Switch to normal mode: disconnect the cable, power off and then power on the radio, connect the cable again

3) execute EEPROM backup command:
Code: [Select]
k5tool -port COM8 -rdee
it will save eeprom-0000-2000.raw with backup, store this backup file, it may need in future if you want to restore your radio.

4) Switch to firmware update mode: disconnect the cable, power off and then power on the radio with pressed PTT button, connect the cable again

5) execute firmware update command:
Code: [Select]
k5tool -port COM8 -wrflash <your firmware file>

Here is video with manual:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 12:09:43 pm by radiolistener »
 

Offline onurhan

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: tr
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2024, 12:21:56 pm »
That's great. Thank you very much for everything. It worked and I was able to update the firmware.  :) :) :) :) :)
 

Offline edo76mal

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: it
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2024, 10:56:11 am »
Hi.

Is it possible to download from radio the bootloader, writing an extension of K5Tool?
 

Online radiolistener

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5741
  • Country: Earth
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2024, 05:17:05 pm »
Is it possible to download from radio the bootloader, writing an extension of K5Tool?

No, there is no code in bootloader which allows to download firmware from radio to PC.
 

Offline NeilP

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 27
  • Country: england
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2024, 04:45:31 pm »
Is there any news on this ?

I am just waiting my new one to be delivered.  Tracking says it is in the UK, but not seen it yet.

Just trying to see if it is possible to run k5prog and k5tool on my peppermint Linux  laptop ? so far have only found the Windows exe file for k5prog

Could run it on a mac too..but I ty and avoid windows!
 

Online ftg

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 498
  • Country: fi
    • ftg's RF hax paeg
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2024, 08:41:53 am »
Original k5prog was and is linux only, k5prog-win is a separate software.
And K5TOOL worked fine on linux for me.
 

Online radiolistener

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5741
  • Country: Earth
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2024, 01:17:18 am »
and k5tool on my peppermint Linux  laptop ? so far have only found the Windows exe file for k5prog

Could run it on a mac too..but I ty and avoid windows!

Yes you can run it on Linux, on MacOS and on Windows.

.net apps historically is stored in exe files, on linux you can run it with mono.

Just install mono runtime:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt install mono-runtime

K5TOOL includes bash script k5tool to run it on linux and macos. it should works transparently on any system, just use ./k5tool on linux/macos instead of k5tool.exe. In case of need you can put it in the apps folder and run it anywhere with k5tool command.
 

Offline gicko

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: cs
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2025, 11:46:08 pm »
I goted UV K5 With new chip
FW Version: firmware version: '1.02.01' This is not work with egzumer and bricked while flashing.I found fw and recovery.I have problem with calibration.How to fix these.Calibration from my old UV k5 will not work.
Simplex channels RX working.Repeater channels not working.TX is work(Repeater back sound)Have the problem.I Not have the modulation only repeater back
Thanks for answer regards
  firmware version: '1.02.01'
has custom AES key: no
 is in lock screen: no
         challenge: 3E BC 89 5C
 

Online radiolistener

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5741
  • Country: Earth
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2025, 12:43:40 am »
I goted UV K5 With new chip
FW Version: firmware version: '1.02.01' This is not work with egzumer and bricked while flashing.I found fw and recovery.I have problem with calibration.How to fix these.Calibration from my old UV k5 will not work.

Firmware 1.02.01 belongs to the new UV-K5 hardware revision, which uses a different MCU. You can identify these stations by the “v2” mark on the label under the battery.

This version is supported by k5tool, but you can only flash firmware made specifically for UV-K5-v2. Currently, the original factory firmware is the only one known to work.

Flashing any firmware built for the older UV-K5 (non-v2) will brick the radio, since those are not compatible with the new processor.

If your radio is already bricked, you need to restore it using one of the original firmware for this "v2" revision from attachment - use -wrflash command (unzip before flashing).

In this v2 hardware revision, EEPROM writing is blocked, most likely to prevent users from flashing calibration or configuration data from older firmware versions, since the internal data layout has changed.

As far as I know, the v2 revision is only a temporary model, and a v3 version is expected to follow. Because of that, the number of v2 units on the market will likely remain small, so it’s unlikely that many custom firmware projects or mods will appear for it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2025, 12:52:37 am by radiolistener »
 

Offline ermionesrl

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 30
  • Country: it
Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2025, 03:24:31 pm »
Unfortunately I just bought a second K5 and it arrived with V2 hardware...
At least I was lucky with the first :|

However I just found this site:

https://github.com/muzkr/k5_fw1

The firmware in this repository is a port of DualTachyon's code for both V1 & V2 hardwares.

I plan to try it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2025, 03:28:49 pm by ermionesrl »
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->