Author Topic: Signal R-535 Airband  (Read 892 times)

Offline veedub565Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Signal R-535 Airband
« on: May 15, 2021, 07:18:59 am »
I recently got ripped off for a Signal R-535 reciever described as brilliant condition... but actually appears to have been stored outdoors in the garden for 30yrs.

Anyway, it works but I've noticed that if I leave it monitoring a frequency. When I key up the HF rig I get a loud buzzing through the speaker of the airband reciever. None of my other scanners or transceivers do this. I have a pair of amplified speakers in the shack and they don't do it either.

Connecting the metal case of the R-535 to RF ground reduces the buzzing, but doesn't eliminate it entirely.

I'd have thought these recievers would be a bit better shielded than that.

After all the rave reviews I'm not that impressed with this reciever I have to say. It feels quite cheap, more like radio shack own brand £14.99 in 1990 than an expensive quality item. Doesnt help of course that my "brilliant condition" example is actually corroded.

Also, the ticking sound it makes when it scans. Is that normal?

Oh and the on off switch. It clicks when switched on, but then doesn't click when switched off. Is that normal too?

Offline jmh

• Contributor
Re: Signal R-535 Airband
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 08:13:33 am »
Can't answer the screening as when I had mine I wasn't licensed so no tx anywhere. Mine did tick when scanning and the on-off was similar to yours, physical click for on, no click for off.

Offline veedub565Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Signal R-535 Airband
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 08:35:38 am »
Thanks, thats good to know they are all like that with the scan ticking and on off switch. At least I won't be chasing a fault that isn't there. It does seem a bit cheap and poorly designed compared to my Yaesu's of a similar vintage.

That said It does recieve better than the broadband scanner.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf