Author Topic: What are they using on me?  (Read 15770 times)

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
Re: What are they using on me?
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2021, 11:06:10 pm »
The antenna is a great example of the placebo effect.
May damn brain got tricked to!
I put a Discone Antenna infront of my Window for reception only. Often there isnt any SDR Plugged in but when I see them I feel something weird.  :palm:
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2021, 03:48:41 pm »
Back in the 'bad old days' of outdoor antenna T.V. reception I bought an 18AVQ 80 meter through 10 meter ham band vertical antenna and knowing the placebo effect put it as close to a tree as I could in an effort to hide it. (Bad for reception by the way) Within about 1 week a neighbor saw it and told other neighbors about it and I started getting complaints about me interfering with T.V. reception. Here is the kicker, I was getting ready to feed it with an underground run of RG8/u but the cable had not even been purchased and NOTHING was connected to the antenna!! People believe what they want too!! B.T.W., the original poster has asked this question before under other 'handles' and in different forums. Either a troll / clickbait or someone with mental problems!! Is there anything faker than the paranormal investigator show on T.V.??? (Hmmm, Jerry Springer and Televangelists for a start)
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2021, 05:30:12 pm »
Back in the 'bad old days' of outdoor antenna T.V. reception I bought an 18AVQ 80 meter through 10 meter ham band vertical antenna and knowing the placebo effect put it as close to a tree as I could in an effort to hide it. (Bad for reception by the way) Within about 1 week a neighbor saw it and told other neighbors about it and I started getting complaints about me interfering with T.V. reception. Here is the kicker, I was getting ready to feed it with an underground run of RG8/u but the cable had not even been purchased and NOTHING was connected to the antenna!! People believe what they want too!! B.T.W., the original poster has asked this question before under other 'handles' and in different forums. Either a troll / clickbait or someone with mental problems!! Is there anything faker than the paranormal investigator show on T.V.??? (Hmmm, Jerry Springer and Televangelists for a start)

Probably was placebo effect, but also remotely possible that reflections off of your antenna caused ghosts or other interference which was new.  It would be no stranger than long range ducting of vhf signals or other weird things that happen occasionally.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2021, 05:34:40 pm »
Either a troll / clickbait or someone with mental problems!!

And all apparently equally deserving of your disdain?

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2021, 05:46:49 pm »

Probably was placebo effect, but also remotely possible that reflections off of your antenna caused ghosts or other interference which was new.  It would be no stranger than long range ducting of vhf signals or other weird things that happen occasionally.

the ignorant will always talk bullshit. My grandmother decided that I was responsible for her high electric bill because she once saw that I had 2 whole AA battery chargers on at once, the fact that she had 3 freezers that were ancient and inefficient completely eluded the stupid old cow! I was driven to insanity when one of the damn things just ran non stop once it became so worn out that it could not cope at all and was so pleased when the damn thing just broke down. For some reason my grandparents who did large weekly shops felt the need to keep food for up to a decade in these 3 power hogs, but no any small electrical thing I would do was to blame for the bill to the point I was not allowed to leave the kitchen in the evenings and go to my room to do something other than be blasted by the TV because the light bulb in my bedroom was going to cause a surge in the electricity consumption of the house despite a CRT TV + 3 freezers + a fridge freezer.

I'm sure the moment a neighbour saw any imperfection in their TV reception that they conveniently never remembered seeing before they would blame the new mystery antenna. Just think how stupid the average person is, now think that half of them are progressively more stupid than that.

The following users thanked this post: cdev, MK14

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2021, 06:02:07 pm »
Some cellphone network companies resort to building the cell site and erecting the antennae but *NOT* installing the electronics in the cabinets till they are ready to commission the site.  Certified and dated photos of empty equipment cabinets with the antennae feeds hanging loose makes the invariable complaint of various malaises attributed to 4G/5G 'radiation' from local resident nimby groups much easier to get thrown out of court if it even gets that far, as even the dumbest and most prejudiced technophobic judge cant rule that nonexistent equipment was responsible and make it stick!  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:38:13 pm by Ian.M »

The following users thanked this post: amyk, MK14, george.b

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2021, 08:29:24 pm »
Be careful of using statistics to prove things.  You can cite huge numbers of cases where ignorant people blamed the wrong thing and it doesn't prove that other things don't happen.  It is valid to assume that ignorant BS is the likely answer, but it is not an excuse for being closed to other possibilities.

It is also dangerous to use personal history.  Simon, I agree that your grandparents were incorrectly blaming you for their high electric bills.  But your very difficult experience with the grandparents will have a tendency to cause you to discount older folks opinions.  Remember that if you are so lucky to achieve that age.

It is remotely possible that the OP's experience is real.  That his upstairs neighbor is a Howard Hughes like character, technically astute, clinically insane with immense financial resources available.  The advice given by at least a few here is valid.  Get real measurements, or leave the environment.  If neither action gives real data to support the hypothesis then get clinical help for yourself.  Laughing at him, or dismissing his claims as baseless without evidence beyond statistics is not evidence of commitment to truth.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2021, 08:41:57 pm »
Maybe some People dont know that Amateur Radio Hobbist are permit to Transmit with 500W at 2,4Ghz.  :-BROKE
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2021, 08:50:12 pm »
Be careful of using statistics to prove things.  You can cite huge numbers of cases where ignorant people blamed the wrong thing and it doesn't prove that other things don't happen.  It is valid to assume that ignorant BS is the likely answer, but it is not an excuse for being closed to other possibilities.

I didn't use statistics, it was actually a line from a comedy show....., and i bet the guy was talking about half his audience. I am sorry to say that most people are ignorant, it's just a fact, unless every person I meet has a background in electronics they have no right to comment on related matters but plenty do. People are slow to not see their lack of knowledge and very fast to cast judgement based on literally no knowledge or facts (Dunning-Kruger). People do not like to realise they do not understand "stuff" because most people have big ego's which is a polite way of saying they are assholes that don't know that they are assholes.

In the medieval times the ignorant persecuted the knowledgeable for being "witches" under the guidance of the church which wanted to maintain it's power and feared non allied intelligent people, same thing, we just grew out of burning people at the stake. At work i almost feel like this because i am the sole electrically gifted person in a company full of old fashioned mechanical engineers who just want to hit things with hammers and do it like they have for 30 years. The company systems are a joke and 30 years later barely handle the mechanical designs because even though they changed software they made sure it works just the way the old one did because they can't handle the new and unknown. Then i come along and try to do PCB designs under this "system", so on the one hand they don't want to know about my work or discuss how to document it or change systems to deal with it yet when they can't understand it I am hiding information and doing it all wrong..... The world is full of assholes that are thick as shit so yea, if someone decides that their poor TV reception is due to a subtle change in their environment I call them a liar, it's just a fact that there is very little chance that they have an effing clue what they are talking about, people just like to think they understand and will treat those who do like shit because they don't want to have their views challenged.

This is why humanity progresses so slowly, you can't change peoples mind and bring in new ideas, you have to literally wait for them to die out!

Yes I had a bad day at work so forgive me from being triggered by the suggestion that an ignorant twat of a neighbour could know jack shit about TV reception!

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2021, 09:13:04 pm »
The world is full of assholes that are thick as shit so yea, if someone decides that their poor TV reception is due to a subtle change in their environment I call them a liar, it's just a fact that there is very little chance that they have an effing clue what they are talking about, people just like to think they understand and will treat those who do like shit because they don't want to have their views challenged.

Speaking out of ignorance doesn't make someone a liar. But if you respond angrily by assuming they are lying, how do you expect to help relieve their ignorance? Perhaps you should revisit how you challenge other people.

The following users thanked this post: TheUnnamedNewbie, MK14

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2021, 09:16:57 pm »
challenge people? what's the point in bothering? Most people will make up their own minds about stuff as shown in the examples above because it suits them, they want to believe these things even if factually incorrect and won't accept any changes. Your OP it not so weird after all, he came here wanting validation for his opinion and since being told that what he thinks is not so he has not been back! perfectly "normal" human behaviour.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2021, 10:06:22 pm »
challenge people? what's the point in bothering? Most people will make up their own minds about stuff as shown in the examples above because it suits them, they want to believe these things even if factually incorrect and won't accept any changes. Your OP it not so weird after all, he came here wanting validation for his opinion and since being told that what he thinks is not so he has not been back! perfectly "normal" human behaviour.

When you assume that the person talking to you is ignorant, and didn't really see the facts he is reporting you are using statistics.  Not formally, but actually.  And there is nothing wrong with that if used appropriately.  The likelihood of the facts being correct is low enough that maybe it isn't worth your time to respond.  But if the response is that there is no possible way that he is right, you have used those empirical statistics incorrectly.

It is kind of like when someone tells you they tossed a coin on a flat surface and it landed on its edge and you say "No way".  You are likely right, but you are taking your experience over the reporting persons observation.  Which absolutely can be true, regardless of that persons expertise in coin flipping.  He could be lying to you, may have done some hidden trick to make it possible, or it may have been that one in some enormous number chance of the coin ending on its edge or something else altogether.  It takes more than an assertion to determine what really happened.

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2021, 11:12:51 pm »
I'm sure the moment a neighbour saw any imperfection in their TV reception that they conveniently never remembered seeing before they would blame the new mystery antenna. Just think how stupid the average person is, now think that half of them are progressively more stupid than that.

Yeah, it's one thing to be stupid.  It's another thing to not realize you are stupid and should try to pay attention to smarter people rather than those who want to manipulate you.  Even if someone doesn't take the word of smarter people, at least try to understand what they are saying.  Many times it's a matter of drama.  Let's face it, many like drama.
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2021, 11:39:24 pm »
Some times I wonder if some of these trolls are long time duration research projects.  I traced one who plagued my academic employer , as well as half of the  world's technical newsgroups, to a fixed IP assigned to a psych department  at an Ivy League school  of all places. An official  phone call to their  IT resulted in all sorts of hemming and hawing about that email and address,  and attacking me for censorship.    They did NOT want to reveal the owner's name.   That's OK, I started forwarding all the harassment  posts to their IT head.  It stopped eventually.   

I'd name the famous troll but I fear they might pop up again.   Hint:  1 bit PWM Ultraviolet Laser Disk  Video with Fluorescence  / Atomic weight contains four  and nine,  if your a grey beard and want to know whom.

Rule number of troll repulsion, don't name she/he who will NOT be named.

Steve 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 11:44:12 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2021, 11:49:35 pm »
lol its probobly hacked because its a psych department running windows 95

I renember how it was

in a university computer science has decent equipment
computer engineering has some what OK equipment
electrical engineering has shady equipment (old unix stations mixed with some more modern computers, but its maintained by fascist admins so it is OK, they spy on it, frequently wipe it, etc.. usually because they have work with companies that are paranoid about their IP)
physics is all over the place, but usually there is some linux hobbyist around keeping it secure

then you have psychology and linguistics, that is where the malware is, on the legacy 95 machines with crts

what happened is probobly an IT crackdown as a result of persistent badgering

a ivy league university actually puts some money towards ethics (its a good way to fire very high powered near invulnerable very highly paid professors). those guys can have a single lecture 15 minutes a week about cooking waffles without repercussions but you can bust them on ethics violations

with how old that place is they probobly found a old computer behind some drywall running a russian mail server
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 11:58:49 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2021, 03:04:39 pm »
On reflection (especially after the OP's second and final so far post). I suspect they found that video (that shows wi-fi 'seeing people' through walls), and decided to create a troll thread about it. They hoped we would say it 'can't be done', then they would go "Ha ha, it can, see that video, you were all WRONG".

They may have other accounts on this forum, but I removed an earlier post saying whom, as we don't seem to have a moderators discussion section, any more (all threads locked, apparently). So I no longer have a place to easily discuss it (except the report to moderator, facility, or PM'ing a mod/admin).

The video seems to simply shows that some kind of signal, can be reflected back, and somewhat visualized on a screen. It doesn't necessarily mean that practicable/working/affordable units, can be available for people to buy.

If they are available, they probably cost a fortune, and are mainly sold to law enforcement/Police. Not something their neighbor would have, in all likelihood.

Hopefully I'm wrong (troll thread), and they have or are seeking medical treatment, as required.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 03:16:06 pm by MK14 »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2021, 08:00:43 pm »
To be honest when this thread was reported it reminded me of a similar thread we had just weeks ago, neighbour can tell where person is and inflicts pain from a distance by directing some unknown weapon with accuracy. Seemed too similar to be a coincidence not that I have bothered to check it out, what's the point.

The easiest thing is to contact one of us if you think you have something to make us aware of. It has been thoroughly proven that open discussion on the forum about moderation does not end well and there is no guarantee we get notifications of new replies. I suspect there is a bug in SMF because I see this reoccurring pattern that when a thread gets quite long I just stop getting notifications at random.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2021, 08:24:14 pm »
To be honest when this thread was reported it reminded me of a similar thread we had just weeks ago, neighbour can tell where person is and inflicts pain from a distance by directing some unknown weapon with accuracy. Seemed too similar to be a coincidence not that I have bothered to check it out, what's the point.

The easiest thing is to contact one of us if you think you have something to make us aware of. It has been thoroughly proven that open discussion on the forum about moderation does not end well and there is no guarantee we get notifications of new replies. I suspect there is a bug in SMF because I see this reoccurring pattern that when a thread gets quite long I just stop getting notifications at random.

I remember that thread. Something about a suspected Ultrasonic WEAPON, with WEAPON also, being a significant theme in this thread.

That sonic thread, was obvious total nonsense, when I saw it, because there were a number of very serious technical mistakes in the original post (OP). I.e. I knew with almost a certainty, that it had to be a troll thread, right from the start.

The opening post in this thread, has enough technical mistakes (compared to real life), to illustrate that it couldn't be a true story. Unless the person was mentally ill and/or badly mistaken.

I.e. If it had been true and correct, then there were important things (observations) missing from the OP's 'story'. Similarly, it has reports of things, which just don't work that way in practice. Since the OP might be reading this, I'll let them continue to make (apparently) technically inaccurate stories.

As others have said. Even if I'm >95% sure it is probably a troll thread. I'd prefer to suggest the correct course of action (seek medical help, as regards possible mental health issues), than risk alienating a person who really needs help. Just in case, I'm mistaken and there is a real person, with real issues behind the thread.

Anyway, if I'm unsure, as to if it is a troll thread or not, I don't want to jump in and spoil an innocent posters thread, with genuine questions and/or get a bad reputation or even reprimanded by the mods/admins, on this/a forum.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:26:22 pm by MK14 »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2021, 08:26:53 pm »
It could just be that we have been blessed with two people who need medical help and if so hopefully they have sought it. If they are trolling the joke is on them.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2021, 08:28:14 pm »
Simon, I'm sorry to hear that you grew up dealing with that kind of environment. Ouch.

I've had to deal with my share of stuff like that too. Its horrible.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2021, 09:08:20 pm »
   I did the acoustic less then lethal thing as part of a "red team" sort of organization reporting to a defense contractor's VP of sales.
They simply were not skilled at making simple and low cost, so we'd design  it,  and they would convert it to production and market it.
My stuff got handed over to people with Masters and Doctorates, used to doing things the way they were taught. That said there were one or two innovators at the corporate bunch, but I had to meet them after hours at their offices so we could experiment and talk freely.

Getting the non-linear effects needed to "hear voices" requires a real tight beam from an ultrasound array.  It will not go through walls without scattering.     We preferred to work in the hearable audible spectrum.  When I saw the U-beam threads I was laughing for months, and feeling sorry for the folks dealing with Meredith but could not post about what I knew.    Would not dare risk showing some simple improvements that would have made matters far worse in the end if that ever deployed.  No, dear friends of Meredith who might still visit here, it would still not accomplish your power transfer dreams.  Even then, it is patented and not for licensing.

While pirates in a certain ocean region probably hate my former boss to no end, there are limitations on acoustic crowd control and harassment methods. Suffice it to say I know what details to look for that sing out (pun intended) when the real devices are in use.  I almost never see them in the posts by people who think they are under bombardment by these things.  I know how to push people out past a certain critical distance.  However driving some one insane in their apartment is best done with other means, if it should ever be done at all.  Both acoustic and RF have some dead giveaways.

That audio technology became far more useful for warning systems and units for use in natural disasters.  It ended up saving lives, just not in the form it was intended for. 

I also have experience with optical  methodologies, and got told my design for optical was just too clever for use in crowd control, as it targeted the leaders and grabbed pics  while scanning the crowd, and controlling exposure to each individual.  Problem with politics is today's emotional and charisma endowed   rioting protest leader  might be tomorrow's friendly politician so there are de-facto limits on what you can do without usurping democracy. That I agree with. The level between annoyance / disorientation and  and damage in optical is just too damn close to retinal burns for cheap optical to work. Best to warn folks to move off, stay back, stop,  and that is how the US military uses optical today.

As far as physical less then lethal goes, the margin between useful effects and actually producing injury is usually  quite tight.  The unit that is fine  in the hands of a person with training, practice, judgement and accountability, can quickly become an issue in the hands of some one with other motives or poor judgment.  "And rebels have been rebels since I don't know when".

BTW, The superior technical product never took the market share. The other team with the inferior  beam pattern and energy density  had far too many former retired  admirals and generals on their board.

So when I see certain types of posts, I always try to steer folks to mental health professionals. 

At my place of worship I had to deal with one individual who was convinced that only certain individuals were getting a certain enzyme that promoted growth and health.  For the rest of us, it was being removed from food.  Man, for months he begged me to run the test for him, telling me the methodology for running the test  (specialized HPLC columns) had been removed from the market by the "cabal"  Only way he was going away was if I ran "clandestine" tests for him. 

Finally got through to him by asking for his credit card, when it came down to ordering the 900$ per sample test kit.  That actually did it, months of patiently bringing in quotes for the kits and journal articles, as well as explaining all tests I can run are logged.  Then I had to explain the HPLC was not in my "domain".  Come to work with me, I'll log you into the building as a guest,  and you can  order the materials by making a donation thru channels and work with some one.  That did it for the most part.    I finally managed to convince him 1. He needed help, 2. The material was still in food.   To this day I have no idea why a non-scientist selected that obscure enzyme, as I really had to dig into the bio  literature to find what it was.  Turns out a methods patent was issued,  and second sources of the test WERE pulled from the market under threat of litigation.

Lots of folks who have these kind of thoughts really just need to make new friends, and talk through the underlying problems.  Others really do need help and meds.

I don't know what drives the Flat Earthers, though.  Have no idea how to solve that one.

Steve

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:33:19 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2021, 10:05:49 pm »
It has been made very apparent over the last few years that "reality" is the figment of peoples imagination no matter how wild and crazy that reality is.

The following users thanked this post: LaserSteve, MK14

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2021, 11:27:17 pm »
It has been made very apparent over the last few years that "reality" is the figment of peoples imagination no matter how wild and crazy that reality is.

Reality is all relative to some anchor point, and that point is slightly different for everyone. We all perceive the world based on interpreting what our senses detect and interpolating other details, it's hardly surprising that it's a little bit different based on who you ask. I've wondered at times whether what I see as red is what someone else might interpret as blue, there's no way of knowing.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2021, 11:42:12 pm »
When I worked with tunable visible lasers, we had a colorblind FSE in the field who loved playing "Guess that Wavelength" with new users in the field.  As long as he held the remote control.  He could deadpan perfectly  smile when doing it.  You would think he actually knew what color it was.    It was all "GREY" to him.    So for some small subset of sane people, reality will be different but similar.
But one day I had the remote, and caught him. Had worked for a year for him and did not know he was colorblind. He had the "blue/yellow" version, whatever that IS.

Love your post anyways.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 11:45:24 pm by LaserSteve »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2021, 04:54:13 am »

Reality is all relative to some anchor point, and that point is slightly different for everyone. We all perceive the world based on interpreting what our senses detect and interpolating other details, it's hardly surprising that it's a little bit different based on who you ask. I've wondered at times whether what I see as red is what someone else might interpret as blue, there's no way of knowing.

There's a whole sub-branch of philosophy (and to some extent psychology) dedicated to that phenomenon. The internal 'sensation' you experience when seeing red is a "quale", collectively "qualia" (pron.: kwaalia).

Does everybody experience the same quale when seeing red, or do some people experience the quale you experience when seeing blue, or even experience the quale you experience when tasting salt? People with synesthesia are highly sort out by psychologists who study the phenomenon.

If you thought being a volt-nut was a rabbit hole, it's nothing compared to qualia in the hands of a philosophy student.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf