Author Topic: What are they using on me?  (Read 15769 times)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: What are they using on me?
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2021, 07:55:37 am »
I over react to red so make all of my light a bit bluer which some people find a bit too much. It's not supposed to be colour blindness as such or if it is never been a problem do diagnose but is referred to as "visual stress" or several other names. I have all my glasses tinted blue to counteract it as it makes me tired and I am a colour temperature nerd when it comes to my screens having abandoned those horrible overlay filters.

That thing people go on about with "blue light" from screens that will stop you sleeping is totally not a thing for me as I am less sensitive to blue anyway.

I hear sound differently as well. I am very sensitive to lower frequencies or just struggle to tune them out. Colleagues are not too bothered by the air conditioning at work but I wear noise cancelling headphones. When I do I can actually hear people further away talking better than with the headphones off.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2021, 10:16:15 am »
sounds like another lunatic!

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2021, 10:29:48 am »
There is only one correct answer to this question: get a carbon monoxide detector, now.

Speculations about someone's mental health on the Internet are always fun, but the reality is that this kind of symptom can have a very tangible external cause, one that kills people when left uncorrected.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2021, 05:23:32 pm »
There is only one correct answer to this question: get a carbon monoxide detector, now.

Speculations about someone's mental health on the Internet are always fun, but the reality is that this kind of symptom can have a very tangible external cause, one that kills people when left uncorrected.

Good advice, but there is no such thing as only one correct answer in a case like this.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2021, 07:04:49 pm »
I like the CO detector and I'll add Ergot poisoning / existing meds/ hypertension.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:06:28 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2021, 07:40:16 pm »
I keep meaning to get one. I was allerted to the fact that it would be a good idea when the man came to service the boiler and had to wave his sensor out the window to get it to zero, but at the same time, in the winter I don't want to be spending a fortune on heating.

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2021, 01:18:56 am »
I like the CO detector and I'll add Ergot poisoning / existing meds/ hypertension.

Steve

I've also heard that black mold can cause this type of symptom.   CO is the #1 thing I'd worry about, though.

A CO detector is definitely cheaper than a psychiatrist, an exorcist, or a TSCM sweep. :)  Or a funeral.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2021, 06:15:26 am »
usually having those things will make you calmer in general which is good, if you think some invisible shit is going to kill you all the time its the easy train to lots of bad things.. its not exactly outlandish to buy a few things from home depot, its a known killer

maintaining water quality also, the main reason those things are not common place is because people have wayyyyyy different trust levels of municipal services
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:18:24 am by coppercone2 »

Offline videobruce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2021, 10:58:39 am »
Why is this thread still open? ? ?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2021, 11:30:51 am »
Why is this thread still open? ? ?

Because you don't run this forum apparently.....

The following users thanked this post: hexreader, MK14, james_s, bd139, JohnnyMalaria

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2021, 02:02:39 am »
asergillus fumigatus mold "the most successful fungal pathogen" to humans.. produces abundant respirable ergot alkaloids when it grows on latex paint or vinyl. (for example shower curtains)
This is enough ergot to disturb sleep. Its a good reason why composting operations should always be done far from human habitations. People need sleep. This disturbance also explains the pre-modern science myth that "night soil" fumes were unhealthy.

Steve

I've also heard that black mold can cause this type of symptom.   CO is the #1 thing I'd worry about, though.

A CO detector is definitely cheaper than a psychiatrist, an exorcist, or a TSCM sweep. :)  Or a funeral.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 02:09:41 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2021, 02:19:16 am »
yea do yourself a favor and get glass planes, those shower curtains are RIDICULOUS. Generally creepy and mold grows on them. With the glass ones you can buy those kits that put a rain-x type coating on them also (which will last a while if you apply it carefully and take special care not the hose the glass down with aggressive cleaners)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2021, 03:12:44 am »
yea do yourself a favor and get glass planes, those shower curtains are RIDICULOUS. Generally creepy and mold grows on them. With the glass ones you can buy those kits that put a rain-x type coating on them also (which will last a while if you apply it carefully and take special care not the hose the glass down with aggressive cleaners)

You mean just.. buy some rain-x and apply it?

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2021, 05:27:36 am »
Now I don't think its rain-x, I think its more along the lines of a cheap ceramic coat for your car, the effects are much more permament then rain-x.

the prep kit comes with the standard things you get with ceramic car coat kit.

one is a temporary coating and the other one is a rather permanent coating that takes some skill to apply
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 05:29:54 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2021, 06:21:38 am »

Or keep a spray bottle of bleach handy and apply liberally. I also have a dehumidifier that I use a lot when it's too cold to open the window.

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2021, 12:52:15 pm »
What are they using on me?
« on: March 01, 2021, 10:04:51 pm »

Another easy explanation could be that the TO's calendar has 1 month offset.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2021, 05:31:33 pm »
asergillus fumigatus mold "the most successful fungal pathogen" to humans.. produces abundant respirable ergot alkaloids when it grows on latex paint or vinyl. (for example shower curtains)
This is enough ergot to disturb sleep. Its a good reason why composting operations should always be done far from human habitations. People need sleep. This disturbance also explains the pre-modern science myth that "night soil" fumes were unhealthy.

1) That's Aspergillus.

2) '"the most successful fungal pathogen" to humans'? No, that'll be athlete's foot. Aspergillosis is a pretty rare disease (1 or 2 cases per 100,000 people per annum, mostly in immunocompromised patients), almost everyone has had, knowingly or unknowingly, a case of athlete's foot; that's why you can buy over the counter athlete's foot remedies in any pharmacist, but not ones for aspergillosis.

3) "produces abundant respirable ergot alkaloids"? Erm, no or we'd all start getting ergotism (symptoms: hallucinations, vasoconstriction, nausea, vomiting and many others) as we walked around all the time as A. fumifgatus is ubiquitous, found everywhere. Produces negligible quantities of ergot alkaloids would be closer to the mark.

Most people who suffer any disease due to Aspergillus fumigatus do so because of an allergy to its spores, not due to actual infection or mycotoxicity.

The 'black mould' that grows in bathrooms and the like is usually Stachybotrys chartarum, and very rarely any of the Aspergillus sp..

Aspergillus is one of those things that the Gwyneth Paltrows of this world have latched onto for some unknown reason and, as that type always do, attribute half of humanities troubles to, along with the obligatory conspiracy theory that conventional medicine and the government are wilfully ignoring the 'deadly' risks to all of us. If you don't have AIDs, other acquired or innate immunodeficiency, or are taking immunosuppressive drugs because of a transplant, then Aspergillosis is not something you have to be worried about.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2021, 08:24:13 pm »
did you see the (spoof) video years ago, about the radio controlled sheep dogs in New Zealand?   Some people thought it was real, evidently.

It was really a funny video.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2021, 08:32:21 pm »
When I was a child I had a friend who died of mucormycosis. It was quite the horrible disease, it ate into his brain from his sinuses, blinded him and eventually killed him..

1) That's Aspergillus.

2) '"the most successful fungal pathogen" to humans'? No, that'll be athlete's foot. Aspergillosis is a pretty rare disease (1 or 2 cases per 100,000 people per annum, mostly in immunocompromised patients), almost everyone has had, knowingly or unknowingly, a case of athlete's foot; that's why you can buy over the counter athlete's foot remedies in any pharmacist, but not ones for aspergillosis.

3) "produces abundant respirable ergot alkaloids"? Erm, no or we'd all start getting ergotism (symptoms: hallucinations, vasoconstriction, nausea, vomiting and many others) as we walked around all the time as A. fumifgatus is ubiquitous, found everywhere. Produces negligible quantities of ergot alkaloids would be closer to the mark.

Read this:  [url]https://aem.asm.org/content/71/6/3106.long[/url]

---------------------------------------------
Ergot alkaloids are mycotoxins that interact with several monoamine receptors, negatively affecting cardiovascular, nervous, reproductive, and immune systems of exposed humans and animals. Aspergillus fumigatus, a common airborne fungus and opportunistic human pathogen, can produce ergot alkaloids in broth culture. The objectives of this study were to determine if A. fumigatus accumulates ergot alkaloids in a respirable form in or on its conidia, to quantify ergot alkaloids associated with conidia produced on several different substrates, and to measure relevant physical properties of the conidia. We found at least four ergot alkaloids, fumigaclavine C, festuclavine, fumigaclavine A, and fumigaclavine B (in order of abundance), associated with conidia of A. fumigatus. Under environmentally relevant conditions, the total mass of ergot alkaloids often constituted >1% of the mass of the conidium. Ergot alkaloids were extracted from conidia produced on all media tested, and the greatest quantities were observed when the fungus was cultured on latex paint or cultured maize seedlings. The values for physical properties of conidia likely to affect their respirability (i.e., diameter, mass, and specific gravity) were significantly lower for A. fumigatus than for Aspergillus nidulans, Aspergillus niger, and Stachybotrys chartarum. The demonstration of relatively high concentrations of ergot alkaloids associated with conidia of A. fumigatus presents opportunities for investigations of potential contributions of the toxins to adverse health effects associated with the fungus and to aspects of the biology of the fungus that contribute to its success.

The ergot alkaloids are a complex family of indole-derived alkaloids that have a long history of association with human suffering. The contamination of rye and other grain crops with alkaloid-rich sclerotia of the ergot fungus Claviceps purpurea was responsible for gangrenous and convulsive forms of ergotism known as St. Anthony's fire or holy fire (19). Other ergot alkaloid-producing fungi, such as the closely related Neotyphodium spp. endophytes of forage grasses, negatively affect agriculture by reducing animal productivity and health (2, 22). The ability of different ergot alkaloids to act as partial agonists or antagonists of various serotonin, dopamine, and α-adrenaline receptors results in effects on nervous, circulatory, reproductive, and immune systems, leading to high or low blood pressure, muscle contractions, reduced fertility, disturbances in sleep-wake cycles, lowered immune responses, and, at high doses, hallucinations and gangrene of the extremities (14, 16, 22, 25, 31).

Screening analyses of other fungi for ergot alkaloids have identified several distantly related fungi as potential sources (13, 17, 29). Among these fungi, the best characterized is Aspergillus fumigatus. This fungus was first noted to produce the ergot alkaloid festuclavine and two novel derivatives of festuclavine, fumigaclavine A and fumigaclavine B, in semidefined broth culture (29). Later, Cole et al. (3) described an additional festuclavine derivative, fumigaclavine C, from broth cultures of A. fumigatus originally isolated from moldy silage.

A. fumigatus is associated with several human health issues. It is the most common airborne fungal pathogen of humans (6, 18). It can cause invasive aspergillosis in immunocompromised individuals, and the resulting mortality rate is >50%. In immunocompetent individuals, this fungus can colonize preexisting cavities in the lungs or sinuses without penetrating into tissues, a condition known as aspergilloma or fungus ball (6, 11, 18). A. fumigatus also is associated with air quality issues in indoor environments and near composting facilities (11, 12, 27). The presence of conidia of A. fumigatus and of several other fungi in such environments has been loosely associated with respiratory allergic symptoms and miscellaneous other ailments, but causal associations have not been demonstrated.

Most mycotoxin-producing fungi produce their toxins in the substrate in which they grow, and ingestion of the contaminated substrate is required for intoxication. Although less frequently documented, the presence of mycotoxins in or on conidia of the producing fungus provides the potential for delivery of mycotoxins via the alternate and less voluntary route of inhalation. For example, the black mold fungus Stachybotrys chartarum contains trichothecenes associated with its spores (28).

Our objectives in this study were to determine if conidia of A. fumigatus contain ergot alkaloids in a respirable form, to quantify ergot alkaloids associated with conidia produced on several environmentally relevant substrates, and to measure physical properties of conidia likely to affect their respirability. Detection and quantification of ergot alkaloids associated with conidia are prerequisites for investigations of potential contributions of the alkaloids to adverse human health effects or to other aspects of the biology of the fungus.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Most people who suffer any disease due to Aspergillus fumigatus do so because of an allergy to its spores, not due to actual infection or mycotoxicity.

The 'black mould' that grows in bathrooms and the like is usually Stachybotrys chartarum, and very rarely any of the Aspergillus sp..

Aspergillus is one of those things that the Gwyneth Paltrows of this world have latched onto for some unknown reason and, as that type always do, attribute half of humanities troubles to, along with the obligatory conspiracy theory that conventional medicine and the government are wilfully ignoring the 'deadly' risks to all of us. If you don't have AIDs, other acquired or innate immunodeficiency, or are taking immunosuppressive drugs because of a transplant, then Aspergillosis is not something you have to be worried about.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2021, 08:54:39 pm »
Not true at all, the rate of fungal diseases is rising as the mean temperature gets closer to human body temperature. Which brings me to a fact which I am sure is going to have me lumped in with Gwenneth in your mental categories box.. (I can live with that)

A well known scientist Arturo Casiadevelli, has a thory aboutbody temperature and evolution that brings up some scary questions as temperatures warm. Body heat seems to have been the reason the genus "Mammalia" which includes us, survived the worldwide event that killed off the dinosaurs.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2021, 09:07:42 pm »
If that theory is true, there is a known factor that makes it worse:  Human body temperature is now decreasing at an average rate of 0.03 K (0.05 F deg) per decade.  98.6 deg F was reported way back in 1868, but modern population averages are around 97.9 deg F.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2021, 09:14:38 pm »
My body temperature has been 35.8C for as long i can remember myself, vs 36.6C. Not sure what to make out of that, no one of my family doctors was able to comment.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2021, 09:15:03 pm »
"'Most successful' pathogen" is an attempt at humor. because it means "kills the most people" . And it does.

Not that long ago an elderly British man made the mistake of using some fresh compost on his garden, breathing in too much of it and dying of - you guessed it, aspergillosis not long later. And he was not immunosuppressed, just old.

https://www.aspergillus.org.uk/news_clipplings/gardener-killed-by-fungus-in-his-compost/''Mold kills a lot of people. Medical examiners wont admit it in the death certificates, though.

They dont want to hurt the real estate industry.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2021, 09:25:02 pm »
that's pretty disturbing, I never thought the compost pile can kill you. It is easy for one to get out of hand if its large and you get invaded by wasps. I remember doing some crazy shit with a water pump, extension cords and a barrel of soap water trying to flood some wasps because it invaded the compost pile and would not let me shovel it, it certainly smells worse when you do not maintain it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:26:52 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2021, 09:48:19 pm »
"'Most successful' pathogen" is an attempt at humor. because it means "kills the most people" . And it does.

Not that long ago an elderly British man made the mistake of using some fresh compost on his garden, breathing in too much of it and dying of - you guessed it, aspergillosis not long later. And he was not immunosuppressed, just old.

https://www.aspergillus.org.uk/news_clipplings/gardener-killed-by-fungus-in-his-compost/''Mold kills a lot of people. Medical examiners wont admit it in the death certificates, though.

They dont want to hurt the real estate industry.

Not that long ago = 13 years, long enough for a zygote to turn into a sex-obsessed, hormone riddled teenager. Note the last line "the condition is rare". Thank you for proving my point with the obligatory conspiratorial "they won't admit it...They dont [sic] want to hurt the real estate industry."

Note that the article, which you're using as support, (1) doesn't actually mention aspergillosis, (2) doesn't disclose whether the victim was immunocompromised or not, or had underlying medical conditions that might make him in the small number of people at any real risk from aspergillosis (asthmatics, COPD, CHD, other lung conditions). Pretty scant evidence of it being anything other than what it is, a rare disease only of concern to particular vulnerable individuals.

Actual facts on Aspergillosis from the British Lung Foundation: https://www.blf.org.uk/support-for-you/aspergillosis and the BMJ https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-gb/425.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf