Here is another one...
The other day I tried to install Python 3.14 or later and pycurl, on a little win7-64 fanless computer. It was to run an automated task.
Now you would think that Python, being basically a script language interpreter, would just need some OS with the usual API for files, comms, etc. No, the installer requires win10! Why??
Here is why:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/rbhd2n/python_39_310_on_windows_7/Developers were lazy and used Win10 only functions to implement some path manipulating functions in python.
Clearly, can be done without using those Win10 functions.
And that guy did exactly that.
The latest that he did is 3.10.1 though. Here are the installers:
https://github.com/NulAsh/cpython/releases/tag/v3.10.1win7-1For 32b Win7: python-3.10.1-win7-202112121259.exe
For 64b Win7: python-3.10.1-win7-amd64-202112121259.exe
And "full" versions you only need if you want to debug python itself.
I did "recently" migrated to Win10. But not just stock one but custom ISO that I made with help of MSMG Toolkit.
It does not have Defender, Updates and MS bloatware like OneDisk and YourPhone.
Now I dread the moment when Steam or Fusion 360 or some other important to me software stops working on Win10.
At work they already gave me Win11 machine that I hate. I can rant for hours about that but the most astonishing:
- I have to wait before typing in my password. Because if I press Ctrl+Alt+Del and start typing immediately, as I used to do, it swallows beginning of my password!
- I have to restart TaskManager every few days because it just stops drawing popup menus and then starts to hang.
And I installed ExplorerPatcher to bring back Win10 style system bar and start menu.
Most importantly, Win10 popup menu for files. So that I can copy file path with one click less, which I do a lot, as a developer.
Fun fact about updates: some Win10 update had a bug in CreateWindow system function. Windows could not create a window, Karl!