Author Topic: 4 wire measurement (Kelvin clips) - handheld LCR meters  (Read 4653 times)

Offline bozidarmsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
4 wire measurement (Kelvin clips) - handheld LCR meters
« on: December 20, 2016, 09:11:53 am »
Hi to the group,

on some sites  can bee read that DE-5000 LCR meter is capable for 4 wire measurement, in contrary Agilent U1733C not.
Can someone, please, explain why - both LCR meters have the same  3 connections: plus,  minus  and  guard? :-//

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:37:38 am by bozidarms »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: 4 wire measurement (Kelvin clips) - handheld LCR meters
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 07:15:35 pm »
Hi to the group,

on some sites  can bee read that DE-5000 LCR meter is capable for 4 wire measurement, in contrary Agilent U1733C not.
Can someone, please, explain why - both LCR meters have the same  3 connections: plus,  minus  and  guard? :-//

Thanks in advance

On the Der EE, the slots are actually two connections in one. They are a kind of clip, where each side of the clip is a part of the five wire connection (traditional kelvin four wire plus guard). The adapters use a double sided PCB that slides into those slots breaking it down into the individual connecitons.

You can see more in my teardown here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/der-ee-de-5000-unboxing-and-teardown/
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:17:39 pm by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 07:27:29 pm »
Before buying any LCR meter with one of the Cyrustek chipsets, and if the somewhat higher spending is not an issue, I would strongly recommend the Applent AT826. After I purchased one of these for my "basement lab" and showed it to the engineers at work, we meanwhile bought there two more since all the users were really amazed about these instruments. Moreover, the AT826 comes with a set of kelvin clips and a really decent pair of SMD tweezers which already makes the price look much more competitive. At least I never regretted the money spent on that instrument since it's always been a joy to use. Accuracy and measurement ranges are really great.

Cheers,
Thomas

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:52:12 pm »
On the DER DE-5000, when you plug in one of the auxiliary cables into the slots, using the banana jacks only for mechanical support (plastic pins in the mating connector) you have the four wires needed for a Kelvin connection.  The alligator-clip connector connects two wires to each clip at the clip.

Offline bozidarmsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 12:41:08 am »
Thanks for responses, i was just curious.
Besides, decision is already  met before - Agilent,
but this  Applent AT826 seems to be very interesting.
By the way - my "lab" is also in basement :D

Regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf