Author Topic: 6671A power supply slow to current regulate  (Read 1782 times)

Offline m121212Topic starter

6671A power supply slow to current regulate
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:42:49 pm »
Ok, weird thing!  I take an Agilent (or HP or Keysight) 6671A power supply and short circuit the output terminals.  I set the current limit to 2A, and the voltage limit to something, say 5V for example.

When I enable the supply by pressing the Output On/Off button, I expect the supply to quickly go into current limit and regulate to 2A. 

What actually happens is in the attached screenshot!!  Big spike (ok, output caps), but then very slow to regulate down to 2A!  Screenshot attached (I hope).

Maybe it has something to do with the output on/off you ask?  Well, I tried leaving the output on, and using an external switch instead.  Same behavior!
Does it depend on the current?  Same thing for 10A.

By now you're thinking, maybe the supply is busted?  Me too!  So, I went out and bought another 6671A.  Hooked it up, did the test, same BLOODY behavior!

What is going on here?

Offline HalfSpace

• Regular Contributor
Re: 6671A power supply slow to current regulate
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:35:11 pm »
Hi m121212,

Check the remote sensing on the back of the 6671A. It should have wire links between the output terminals and the S+ and S-. It may require remote sensing (4 wire sensing) at the point where measuring the short circuit current too get a faster response in CC mode.

Here is a link to the operation guide. http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5964-8267.pdf

HalfSpace  :)
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf