Author Topic: Absolute Best MultiMeter Test Leads - Very Low Resistance?  (Read 12448 times)

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Absolute Best MultiMeter Test Leads - Very Low Resistance?
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2024, 11:22:24 pm »
I hear they'll also do custom sizes, but not sure if they offer that for single quantity orders, or what it might add to the cost.

They build to order, except for popular stuff that they have on hand so the MOQ is typically 1 and there's no extra cost. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline johansen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2024, 12:37:38 am »
Maybe i got lucky but my UT61E+ measures 0.05 ohms with the leads it came with shorted together.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2024, 01:08:00 am »
Get a YR1035 with axial probes and alligator clamps. It's a cheap, but solid performer in the mOhm (and up to 200 Ohm) range with one caveat: it measures with 1 kHz AC, so results will be off when the measured part has a sufficiently high inductance. It can also measure internal resistance of batteries.

Trying to solve the inherent difficulties of 2-wire low resistance measurement by reducing the resistance of the probes is not going to yield a satisfying result anyway.

The YR1030/1035 are for battery internal resistance and voltage measurement, and thus use an AC measurement technique.

The YR2050 is probably more appropriate, and does a DCR measurement.  Mine outputs about 2V O/C and 90mA shorted.  A pretty good price considering it includes the Kelvin test clips.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2024, 10:30:31 am »
The YR1030/1035 are for battery internal resistance and voltage measurement, and thus use an AC measurement technique.
Yes, I mentioned this. Even though it's primarily for batteries and uses AC voltage, it is still a good milliohmmeter. For parts/circuits whose inductance is insignificant produces very good readings (consistent with the results given by the method of passing a known current and measuring the voltage drop).

The YR2050 is probably more appropriate, and does a DCR measurement.  Mine outputs about 2V O/C and 90mA shorted.  A pretty good price considering it includes the Kelvin test clips.
Thanks for helping me spend another $34. Added to cart!

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2024, 10:38:17 am »
Lol, Jesus!  I was just looking for some suggestions on others opinions regarding the best quality test leads for 2-wire DMM resistance measurements.  I understand that a 4-wire/kelvin milliohm meter would be the best option for low resistance measure but unfortunately that’s not something I’m able to invest in at the moment.

So, if I’ve read correctly the Probe master Spring Loaded Micro-Tip Test Leads (8152) give better resistance reading than probe master 8100 series “softie” (8017s).

I’m mainly using them to take measurements of HVAC Inverter compress windings that have a low OEM specified Resistance range from 0.41- 0.72 ohms depending on the model.

A last! You bother to tell us the resistance range of interest.

Now all you have to do is tell us what resolution and accuracy you need :(

The necessary equipment will be different depending on whether you want to know whether there is continuity,  or to verify that the resistance is within that specified range, or ...

If you think that low resistance leads are important, why don't you just do the cheap and simple thing:  make some from car jumper leads or welding cables? (Other people need not respond!)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: JohanH, Kean, 2N3055

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2024, 01:56:37 pm »
I've heard of 'VOLT-NUTS', but now I realize there are also 'OHM-NUTS' :scared: ;D

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2024, 04:02:53 pm »
Thanks for helping me spend another $34. Added to cart!

The price is great.  I don't think you will regret it!   :-DMM

With the Kelvin clips shorted I was getting about 1.2 mohm reading - but by moving the clips a bit I could get it to read about 600 uohm.

I did not think I had many suitable low value precision resistors, but I found a few and measured them as follows.

Vishay Z201 1 kohm 0.01% = 999.95 ohm
Vishay Z201 100 ohm 0.01% = 99.994 ohm
TE CPF2512 100 ohm 0.1% = 99.976 ohm
Vishay 2512 0.1 ohm 0.1% = 0.10025 ohm
Vishay 2512 0.01 ohm 0.1% = 0.01008 ohm

Ambient temp was about 26C.  Readings were stable to +/-1 LSD.

I'm happy with the above results.  It is late and my 34465A isn't powered on, so I won't dig out my Keysight Kelvin clips for comparison.

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw, shapirus

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2024, 05:51:20 pm »
The application is 410-1000m-ohm

Any 2W meter that has resolution to 1m-ohm, accurate to +/- ~3m-ohm, with just about any leads, should suffice.

If the leads add up to 6m-ohm, that's not gonna make a diff in application.

However, just get a set of leads from any vendor who can list a ohmic spec of the leads, you can then simply offset meter reading accordingly, making the documented reading more accurate.
Or, take the leads you have and have them tested by someone who has a 4W and can read accurate to 1m-ohm.

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2024, 10:42:39 am »
Get a YR1035 with axial probes and alligator clamps. It's a cheap, but solid performer in the mOhm (and up to 200 Ohm) range with one caveat: it measures with 1 kHz AC, so results will be off when the measured part has a sufficiently high inductance. It can also measure internal resistance of batteries.

Or, if you're willing to splash out a tiny bit more, the DE-5000 ordered from Japan via eBay sellers is probably only around twice the cost of the PM probes and does a lot more than just mOhm measurements.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2024, 10:58:34 am »
Or, if you're willing to splash out a tiny bit more, the DE-5000 ordered from Japan via eBay sellers is probably only around twice the cost of the PM probes and does a lot more than just mOhm measurements.
The specs say that it can do 4-wire measurement, but I can't see how: there are just two connectors (save for the capacitor testing terminals). Besides, I don't see that it comes with Kelvin clips.
What am I missing?

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2024, 01:38:51 pm »
The specs say that it can do 4-wire measurement, but I can't see how: there are just two connectors (save for the capacitor testing terminals). Besides, I don't see that it comes with Kelvin clips.
What am I missing?
That DE-5000 is packaged in different ways. Some sellers include accessories and a case, others just sell the meter.
I believe it does 4W using two nanna jacks because the nanna jacks are split?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 01:51:58 pm by Randy222 »

Offline NE666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2024, 07:10:48 pm »

Actually, it looks to be the other way around on mine.  The 4-way test fixture accessories e.g TL-21plug into both the banana jacks and the capacitor slots at the same time.  However, the male bananas are only plastic extrusions and therefore are there only to help physically locate and secure the fixture.  The metal tangs which connect to the capacitor slots are formed from a double sided PCB and handle the 4-wire connection.

The following users thanked this post: shapirus

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2024, 08:08:13 pm »
The DE-5000’s 4 wire leads are very short alligator clips that are 4 wire only up to the clips (my understanding - I don’t actually have a DE-5000). 

There are YouTube’s showing how to replace the alligator clips with actual 4 wire kelvin clips.

Online schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2024, 10:33:01 pm »
…………. will solve your problem, but you haven't explicitly stated the problem and your objectives (including numbers, not adjectives). For an example of how that can be important, see
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/good-questions-pique-our-interest-and-dont-waste-our-time-2/

The attached link should be required reading for anyone asking questions in a web forum, regardless of the topic.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, BILLPOD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2024, 11:38:16 pm »
…………. will solve your problem, but you haven't explicitly stated the problem and your objectives (including numbers, not adjectives). For an example of how that can be important, see
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/good-questions-pique-our-interest-and-dont-waste-our-time-2/

The attached link should be required reading for anyone asking questions in a web forum, regardless of the topic.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2024, 07:44:33 am »
What am I missing?
That DE-5000 is packaged in different ways. Some sellers include accessories and a case, others just sell the meter.

The 4-wire resistance measurement is done via the 5-contact slot above the banana jacks (two force, two sense, and ground), which accessories like the TL-21 plug into.  There are the required four leads going to the alligator clips, the banana jacks are just plastic castings for support.  So you are getting the real deal, it's just better laid out than the usual mass of leads everyone expects.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2024, 06:10:12 pm »

The 4-wire resistance measurement is done via the 5-contact slot above the banana jacks (two force, two sense, and ground), which accessories like the TL-21 plug into.  There are the required four leads going to the alligator clips, the banana jacks are just plastic castings for support.  So you are getting the real deal, it's just better laid out than the usual mass of leads everyone expects.

The banana jack connectors on the DE-5000 have unique split conductor types, we've never seen these before. They have the Force and Sense conductors in the top and bottom on the banana jack.

Anyone know where one can get the split plugs for these unique split banana jacks?

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2024, 06:25:29 pm »

The banana jack connectors on the DE-5000 have unique split conductor types, we've never seen these before. They have the Force and Sense conductors in the top and bottom on the banana jack.

Anyone know where one can get the split plugs for these unique split banana jacks?

Fluke uses this arrangement on their 2x4W probes, but I don't know of an independent source for the plugs themselves. 

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/accessories/test-leads/tl2x4w-ptii
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2024, 08:11:02 pm »

Best,
”Top and bottom” are very ambiguous terms, in that this can mean several different arrangements.

Split banana jacks are common for multimeter plug detection. Those jacks are split lengthwise (along the axis), i.e. two half-moon halves of a cylinder.

Do you mean that, or do you mean split into rings (perpendicular to the axis), like a headphone plug? (That’s how the Fluke ones are, as I understand it.)

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2024, 08:20:25 pm »
Do you mean that, or do you mean split into rings (perpendicular to the axis), like a headphone plug? (That’s how the Fluke ones are, as I understand it.)

The Fluke 2X4W plugs (and jacks) are not axial, they're split down the middle.  On the bench meters this means right and left, but given how the jacks are oriented on the DE-5000 the same arrangement would be top and bottom, meaning as you look at the meter from the front.  Split jacks you can find elswhere, but split plugs I've never seen available.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2024, 10:04:23 pm »

The Fluke 2X4W plugs (and jacks) are not axial, they're split down the middle.  On the bench meters this means right and left, but given how the jacks are oriented on the DE-5000 the same arrangement would be top and bottom, meaning as you look at the meter from the front.  Split jacks you can find elswhere, but split plugs I've never seen available.
Well that’s the thing, on the DE-5000 they are not split into top and bottom, it’s the left-right split typically found in multimeters. (What for is another question, since all their accessories connect via the flat blades and don’t use the banana jacks at all.)

This shows the back of the PCB, a bit earlier shows the left-right split jacks from the front:

https://youtu.be/ji-UT7HJm0Q?si=ClT3DW3KcJQdnAxK&t=552

As for the Fluke, do you have firsthand experience with them, or are you going by info from elsewhere?

FYI, coaxial banana plugs do exist: https://www.schuetzinger.de/en/products-und-solutions/test-and-measurement/kelvin-programme.html

In particular, on the data sheet for the big Kelvin clip, there’s a drawing of the plug: https://www.schuetzinger.de/files/kml_7852_kelvin_191217.pdf

Unfortunately they don’t sell the plug alone, though they do sell the jack, so that you can use their clips.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 02:32:02 pm by tooki »

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2024, 10:24:25 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/looking-for-a-esr-meter/25/

I thought there was a picture of this somewhere  :palm:
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2024, 10:27:50 pm »
This shows the back of the PCB, a bit earlier shows the left-right split jacks from the front:

https://youtu.be/ji-UT7HJm0Q?si=ClT3DW3KcJQdnAxK&t=552

As for the Fluke, do you have firsthand experience with them, or are you going by info from elsewhere?

If the contacts in the jack are aligned with the pins as seen on that PCB then that would not be compatible with the Fluke 2X4W plugs as the split is rotated 90 degrees.  So it appears to be not top and bottom as stated by mayawatt--unless the jack is constructed differently that what we expect.  I don't have one here to look at.

I have the Fluke 2X4W probes and two different meters that use them.  It's not practical to take pictures, but I can see the split in the jack and the design of the plugs.  Essentially the plug is a plastic cylinder with two springy contacts protruding from either side.

Offline slugrustle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2024, 02:46:36 am »
Does anyone happen to know of any better meter test leads to that have almost no measurable resistance? I know they will always have some resistance of course.  I know this is probably not a common question people ask. I know I should have a 4-wire kelvin milliohm meter for measuring very low resistance reading, but i really can’t justify the cost of such a meter at this time.

I love to hear any suggestions.  I’m sure others are much more knowledgeable about this subject than I am.

I appreciate any and all feedback!

Seems like a sensible question, focused, specific, politely phrased, explains that 4-wire is out of the picture.  The author must be new here.

Fast forward to Reply #45:

Lol, Jesus!  I was just looking for some suggestions on others opinions regarding the best quality test leads for 2-wire DMM resistance measurements.  I understand that a 4-wire/kelvin milliohm meter would be the best option for low resistance measure but unfortunately that’s not something I’m able to invest in at the moment.

Welcome to EEVblog forum!  Where people come to post opinions tangentially related to topics, not to answer questions as posed.  And especially not to answer questions as posed after reading them carefully, lol.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2024, 11:38:36 am »
It seems to me the question was answered, making room for the remaining discussion.

OP wanted to know if there are any 2W test leads with better performance than what they already have. Consensus is “no, OP already has the best on the market.”

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf