Author Topic: Advantest R3465  (Read 2105 times)

Offline tecmanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Advantest R3465
« on: January 30, 2018, 05:40:37 pm »
I picked up a nice working R3465 8 ghz spectrum analyzer on ebay.  It suffered some front panel damage to the frame of the front panel, but otherwise seems fully functional.  Passes POST and calibrated w/o errors.  There seems to be a lack of any documentation on the web other than the user manual, which is somewhat typical of Advantest.  My question is does anyone have any documentation on the R3464/5 analyzers ?  Also if someone has dug into one of these, I would be curious about the location and type of battery used for (cal) data storage.

paul

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
Re: Advantest R3465
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:13:53 pm »
The battery is on the processor board on the top of the unit.  It's in the right, rear corner.  In mine, it was a Maxell ER3, 1/2 AA, 3V6, 1.1 AH.

I have a copy of the service manual, but it's totally worthless.  No schematic, parts list, or circuit descriptions.  Utterly worthless.

Ed

Offline tecmanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:52:56 pm »
Did you replace yours ?

On my other equipment having a schematic is very helpful when replacing the battery.  I usually connect a spare battery through a diode to the board after the internal diode from the unit's battery.  This preserves the data.  I will have to try to trace out a bit to see if I can find the isolation diode on the board.

I am not surprised to hear that the "service" manual was a bust.  Somebody, somewhere must have some schematics on the Advantest stuff.

paul

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:16:50 pm »
My battery was stone dead so I didn't have to jump through any hoops to replace it.  I installed a BR2325 coin cell simply because I've got a bunch.  It looks ugly, but it works.

One thing I noticed is that the voltage dropped in the first month from 3V3 to 2V9 and then basically sat there.  I don't know if that was due to the battery or the load.  My testing showed that at 2V9, the circuit draws ~3 ua. so, at 3V6, you could be looking at a 5 ua drain which sounds nuts to me, but whatever.  After 4 yrs, the voltage is 2V870 and the clock is on time.

I don't know if there's supposed to be any high-band calibration data in there or not.  If the R3465 has any kind of service menu, I haven't found it.  Of course, the lack-of-service manual didn't mention anything.  The autocal only works on the low band.

Usually in a situation like this, you replace the battery while the unit is running.  Be sure to use an UNgrounded soldering iron.

Ed

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf