Author Topic: Agilent 6812B dimmer waveform programming  (Read 316 times)

Offline danilsTopic starter

• Contributor
Agilent 6812B dimmer waveform programming
« on: June 21, 2023, 08:05:25 pm »
So I acquired a broken Agilent 6812B AC power source and put it back into service.

In order to test LED bulbs I need to program a leading edge dimming waveform and I managed to do it in excel and load it into the instrument. Programming is done via the Agilent AC GUI utility via GPIB.

The problem is that when I activate the output with the custom waveform, I get an error message that the waveform exceed the instrument peak voltage capability (that is 425Vpk or 300Vrms). Output voltage is set to 230Vrms. With the custom waveform the instrument allows me to program a maximum voltage of 212Vrms.

I need the custom waveform to be 230Vrms like the default sine. I really don't understand what I'm missing out. Is somebody able to provide any guidance?

Thanks

Offline DeepLink

• Regular Contributor
Re: Agilent 6812B dimmer waveform programming
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 05:40:45 am »
Have you tried with a much lower signal? Like 50VRMS, just to see if your programming is understood correctly by the instrument

Could also be the high dV/dT of your signal

/Hans J

The following users thanked this post: danils

Offline danilsTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Agilent 6812B dimmer waveform programming
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 11:00:08 am »
My understanding so far is that the Vrms-Vpeak ratio is different from a pure sinewave (Vpeak = Vrms * 1.41).
So it's time for me to do some math and find the Vpeak value for the 230Vrms dimmed waveform and check it does not exceed Vpeak limit of the instruments.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf