Author Topic: Agilent E7495 linux root account  (Read 137864 times)

Offline HandBuilt

Re: Agilent E7495 linux root account
« Reply #350 on: April 11, 2019, 06:14:10 pm »
Hello all,
Thanks for all the info and help on this great unit.

Well I found out fixing the gasket creep on the screen is an easy fix! Took the front key panel off, removed a ton of small screws to get to the back of the LCD. More screws to get the bezel removed and out came the LCD display.

The plastic panel on the front is 170mmx225mm / 6.7"x 8.85" X.065" 1.7mm thick lexan. 

They attached it to the LCD with a rectangular stamped double side black tape or gasket. it pulls in with age and heat I'd guess.

I ordered some precut 1/16 lexan from Ebay and reattached it with clear 3M tape.

Its perfect now!

Cheers

The following users thanked this post: 300EVIL

Offline ddcc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #351 on: April 23, 2019, 06:40:29 am »
I made some more measurements on my E7495A, but unfortunately nothing on the one-port RF path appears to be obviously broken. Since this thread is getting a little long, I've made a separate post.

Offline jujun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #352 on: November 09, 2019, 11:08:28 pm »
Hello,
Is there a way to allow measurements (S11 and S21) under 375Mhz ?
It seems that nobody reported a working hack.

Thank you
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 11:15:50 pm by jujun »

Offline 9aplus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #353 on: November 10, 2019, 10:50:20 pm »
Here doing that in old fashion (no hack & Max Hold on) way... with external RLB (S21) and signal generators (S21/S11).

RLB Eagle N5A 5-3000 MHz
SigGen ERASynth or MorFeus

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #354 on: November 10, 2019, 10:56:58 pm »
Is there a way to allow measurements (S11 and S21) under 375Mhz ?
It seems that nobody reported a working hack.
Such hack is impossible because hardware of the signal source is limiting factor here.

Offline jujun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #355 on: November 13, 2019, 10:42:22 am »
Well, it's still a very useful tool :)

If somebody in Europe owns an optional signal generator assembly and wants to sell it, PM me.

thank you

Offline jordi

• Contributor
« Reply #356 on: July 05, 2020, 10:47:38 am »
I'm very impressed with the worldwide collaboration here, thanks for the hard work. I got my hands on an "E7495B", but on arrival, I noticed the front label said "L4600A". I turned it on and it has a lot of the basic functions of the "E7495B", after some digging I find out that this unit is the military version (and has some tools to test their FM COM radios). The only item missing is the Power Meter, and I would like to know if I can activate it (and maybe apply the GPS patch). I'm happy to dump the entire flash here, as soon as my CF arrives. I'm attaching the technical overview of the L4600A and my version of my binary file of "elgato", which is different, my version seems to be newer? A07.24 Dev 6. All the offsets to apply the patches that are described here have different data.  =(

I wonder what they used to figure out the patching locations, IDA Pro?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #357 on: July 05, 2020, 11:04:29 am »
Hi jordi,

It looks like the offset you are looking for in your elgato file is 0x0033E57C, replace 01 00 00 EA with 00 00 A0 E1. No warranties whatsoever but let us know if it worked.
And yes, IDA :)

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: jordi

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #358 on: July 05, 2020, 11:57:05 am »
The only item missing is the Power Meter, and I would like to know if I can activate it
The power meter feature requires at least 2 physical boards and 2 connectors (power reference and sensor). Do you have them?

I'm happy to dump the entire flash here, as soon as my CF arrives.
Please, do so. L4600A seems to have some useful signal generator features. It's likely that they can be used on the E7495.

I wonder what they used to figure out the patching locations, IDA Pro?
In my case (GPS patch) I don't remember actually :) Maybe just objdump -d or gdb running on the device or IDA...

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #359 on: July 05, 2020, 12:12:26 pm »
All the offsets to apply the patches that are described here have different data.  =(
Code: [Select]
$ bgrep "4b 25 85 e2 15 28 82 e2 f6 2d 82 e2" elgato
elgato: 00123c4c
        ^^^^^^^^
So this should be the offset for the GPS patch.

Offline jordi

• Contributor
« Reply #360 on: July 06, 2020, 01:11:10 am »
 I wanted to take the credit but you guys are faster! I did use my HEX editor, search for the strings, and reached the same offsets:

0x033E57C for .lic trick.. and

0x0123C4C...to fix the GPS. I will report my results.  :box:

Thanks a lot!

Offline jordi

• Contributor
« Reply #361 on: July 06, 2020, 04:00:17 am »
So I went ahead and applied the patches. Seems like the modules are now activated, so I can confirm it works. :clap: I went "options spree" and activated everything I could (check the picture attached). Power Meter -Option 600- hangs the device during boot, so I went and dig a little and find out I need am extra hardware module, it can be installed tough (I saw a few on eBay).

The GPS fix seems to work (at least it didn't crash or hang the device). But I'm not sure how to test it. If I go to and try to do the time base adjustment, it won't allow me (I press start and it doesn't do anything), maybe I need to have a GPS fix before activating? 

So I noticed a lot of people here had some Linux difficulties, so whoever is trying to patch the elgato in the future, in either device version please read this:
I did run into a problem when I was updating elgato via FTP (which as curiosity detail it means "The Cat" in Spanish, I assume the guy is obsessed with cats, hint: check at the password), somehow after rebooting it will get stuck on the Disclaimer section (I got a little white). I was lucky to spot during the boot sequence the words "not enough access privileges elgato" So I typed on my telnet terminal "ls -l" and I noticed the Linux permissions were not set correctly:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      5224820 May 31 20:12 elgato <------Patched
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      5224820 May 27 14:35 elgato.original <------Original backup

I easily fixed it by giving the same file permissions and allow for execution, so type this from the same folder the elgato file is located (via telnet):
chmod u+rwx elgato
chmod go+rx elgato
or all at once (I didn't try it):
chmod 755 elgato

If anyone wants to learn more about permissions please go here https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/it-ops/linux-file-permissions 
Then I reboot and problem solved.   ;D

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:27:11 pm by jordi »

Offline jordi

• Contributor
« Reply #362 on: July 06, 2020, 04:19:50 am »
kirill_ka:

No, I don't have the two boards and the 2 connectors. I wonder if the boards can be replicated? Not sure about the connectors, maybe eBay them.

Yes, I can confirm after activation (290) it has now the option to generate a custom waveform, you must create such files on MatLab put them on the CF and run them. No further details, we need to figure it out. If you send me a waveform I can try to run it.

I will try to record some video next week of the menu and GUI, but the "military suite" has an interesting automated tool that can be customized, saved, and loaded them from your external memory (and share them). You select a set of frequencies, Gain, and tolerances and it will tell you if it passes or not. It would be very useful for manufacturing testing or if you happen to test the same devices over and over or you want to let somebody else do it and you have time for advanced training.

Still waiting for my CF to arrive, <2GB cards are not very common anymore and are overpriced. But if you know a trick to just dump the entire "hard drive" via FTP, so I don't do it one by one, please let me know.

Offline DogP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #363 on: July 06, 2020, 06:04:18 am »
That's really cool!  The part that's most intriguing to me is option 520 (Low Frequency Extension for Source).  While the E7495 stock sig gen does 375 MHz - 2.5 GHz, it looks like the stock L4600A does 30 MHz - 1 GHz, with options to extend down to 2 MHz and up to 2.5 GHz.  So, if the hardware is actually the same, I guess that means the E7495 can support sig gen down to 2 MHz w/ the L4600A software.

BTW, regarding custom waveforms... I posted this: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-e7495-linux-root-account/msg1054142/#msg1054142 and https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-e7495-linux-root-account/msg1054570/?topicseen#msg1054570 for making custom waveforms to replace the existing ones.  I'd suspect that the option 290 uses the same arbitrary waveform format (16-bit I/Q), but allows the file to be specified rather than having to replace built-in files (curious what the size limitations are though).  As I mentioned in one of those posts though... the arbitrary waveform generator doesn't suppress the LO or image, so its usefulness is somewhat limited.

DogP

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #364 on: July 06, 2020, 07:35:53 am »
No, I don't have the two boards and the 2 connectors. I wonder if the boards can be replicated? Not sure about the connectors, maybe eBay them.
Are you sure you are desperate enough? It may be well cheaper and easier just to buy a standalone power meter.
I used the measurement board from my E7495 to populate a second channel in a E4418 power meter.
The board from E7495 has it's own power reference while the E4418 doesn't have the power reference on the measurement board.
That's the only difference I see.
The remaining hw stuff you might be missing:
1. Power reference connector.
2. Sensor connector.
3. Power meter interface board.
4. Sensor cable.
5. The sensor itself.
6. Ribbon cables.

Plus you need to connect all the stuff and enable the option correctly.
If you still want to go this route, I can afford you some parts I have leftover.

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #365 on: July 06, 2020, 10:45:29 am »
Still waiting for my CF to arrive, <2GB cards are not very common anymore and are overpriced.
I think I have 4GB card in my E7495 (can't check it now). Maybe you can use a smaller partition on a bigger card.

But if you know a trick to just dump the entire "hard drive" via FTP, so I don't do it one by one, please let me know.
There are some advanced FTP clients such as lftp or Filezilla. Possibly you need to do some tricks to allow FTP to access the whole filesystem.

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #366 on: July 06, 2020, 11:26:28 am »
The GPS fix seems to work (at least it didn't crash or hang the device). But I'm not sure how to test it. If I go to and try to do the time base adjustment, it won't allow me (I press start and it doesn't do anything), maybe I need to have a GPS fix before activating? 
Do you have a GPS antenna connector (as pictured in the datasheet)? If not, you might be missing a receiver module.
No, the fix is not required. You should be able to set GPS as a frequency reference. When it's locked (needs an external antenna), you should see a green circle and time/date synchronized with the GPS.

I've extracted and comapred strings from E7495 and L4600A versions of the elgato.
The following looks like new options appeared on the L4600A:
FM Analyzer & Signal Generator
Low Frequency Extension for Source
PCMCIA IQ Modulation for Signal Generator
GPS Receiver
FM Audio Output Connector

Offline jordi

• Contributor
« Reply #367 on: July 06, 2020, 11:26:06 pm »

BTW, regarding custom waveforms... I posted this: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-e7495-linux-root-account/msg1054142/#msg1054142 and https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-e7495-linux-root-account/msg1054570/?topicseen#msg1054570 for making custom waveforms to replace the existing ones.  I'd suspect that the option 290 uses the same arbitrary waveform format (16-bit I/Q), but allows the file to be specified rather than having to replace built-in files (curious what the size limitations are though).  As I mentioned in one of those posts though... the arbitrary waveform generator doesn't suppress the LO or image, so its usefulness is somewhat limited.

DogP

Very, very cool, I will give it a look on my next weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Offline jordi

• Contributor
« Reply #368 on: July 06, 2020, 11:31:15 pm »
Are you sure you are desperate enough? It may be well cheaper and easier just to buy a standalone power meter.
I used the measurement board from my E7495 to populate a second channel in a E4418 power meter.
The board from E7495 has it's own power reference while the E4418 doesn't have the power reference on the measurement board.
That's the only difference I see.
The remaining hw stuff you might be missing:
1. Power reference connector.
2. Sensor connector.
3. Power meter interface board.
4. Sensor cable.
5. The sensor itself.
6. Ribbon cables.

Plus you need to connect all the stuff and enable the option correctly.
If you still want to go this route, I can afford you some parts I have leftover.
No, you are right, I don't even have the internal hardware. I purchased another E7495B which has the port, maybe I will fool with it a little. PM the stuff you have.

I need an accurate power meter to calibrate my radios at ISM bands between 1Watts to 1.5Watts.

Offline jordi

• Contributor
« Reply #369 on: July 06, 2020, 11:38:55 pm »
Do you have a GPS antenna connector (as pictured in the datasheet)? If not, you might be missing a receiver module.
No, the fix is not required. You should be able to set GPS as a frequency reference. When it's locked (needs an external antenna), you should see a green circle and time/date synchronized with the GPS.

I've extracted and comapred strings from E7495 and L4600A versions of the elgato.
The following looks like new options appeared on the L4600A:
FM Analyzer & Signal Generator
Low Frequency Extension for Source
PCMCIA IQ Modulation for Signal Generator
GPS Receiver
FM Audio Output Connector

Niet, I'm ordering an active antenna, the one I have here uses 3.3V, intended for an uBlox module. I might have blown it, the E7595 GPS SMA port is outputting 5V (bias). I will report on that.

Whoever, on the bottom left of the main screen I see "GPS Unlocked", and on the bottom right of the main screen is a green dot with "Int Ref" label. So even without fixing any sats, it is capable to grab the clocks? Interesting.

Thanks!

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #370 on: July 07, 2020, 07:06:09 am »
Whoever, on the bottom left of the main screen I see "GPS Unlocked", and on the bottom right of the main creen is a green dot with "Int Ref" label. So even without fixing any sats, it is capable to grab the clocks? Interesting.
Int Ref means the internal TXCO. Unfortunately I can't provide you with screenshots this time.
Anyway, you need to get the GPS receiver locked first. Take a look into the "Displaying Location Information Using GPS" section of the "E7495A/B Measurement Guide".

Offline jordi

• Contributor
« Reply #371 on: July 07, 2020, 08:25:11 am »
Whoever, on the bottom left of the main screen I see "GPS Unlocked", and on the bottom right of the main creen is a green dot with "Int Ref" label. So even without fixing any sats, it is capable to grab the clocks? Interesting.
Int Ref means the internal TXCO. Unfortunately I can't provide you with screenshots this time.
Anyway, you need to get the GPS receiver locked first. Take a look into the "Displaying Location Information Using GPS" section of the "E7495A/B Measurement Guide".

I got GPS fix! Unfortunately, it won't let me do the time base adjustment, I press the button and it will not allow me to continue, it doesn't say anything. I restored the elgato, but resulted in the same issue. The seller gave me the option to exchange it for a real "E7495B", I will probably do so (after I dump the drive). 

Offline DogP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #372 on: July 07, 2020, 09:38:15 am »
The seller gave me the option to exchange it for a real "E7495B", I will probably do so (after I dump the drive).
I wouldn't exchange it!  It seems like the L4600A is a better unit all around (better freq. range, better options, etc)... unless you can confirm that the L4600A software will truly turn the E7495 into an L4600A.

DogP

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #373 on: July 07, 2020, 10:05:19 am »
I got GPS fix! Unfortunately, it won't let me do the time base adjustment, I press the button and it will not allow me to continue, it doesn't say anything. I restored the elgato, but resulted in the same issue. The seller gave me the option to exchange it for a real "E7495B", I will probably do so (after I dump the drive).
Maybe you need to set clock reference to the GPS before you do the adjustment.
L4600A seems to be a newer hardware, I wouldn't exchange it too.
It looks like they at least fixed very fragile PCB RF connections:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-L4600A-Board-Assembly-ATO-70067-Sr-no-US48120110-AS-IS-Untested/124245776467

Offline jordi

• Contributor
« Reply #374 on: July 07, 2020, 07:51:57 pm »
All right I will keep it then, thanks for the advice. My CF arrived, but I'm having problems copying some of the files, a few of them I can't even copy to Windows because the name is supposedly very long, but they are not (I will switch to Linux).

Also, it was funny to copy mnt into mnt, I didn't catch the loop.

With that said, what are the most important folders that should focus to rescue? Besides the flash folder of course. I already got out the easy ones: bin, etc, and home folder.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf