Author Topic: Agilent U1211A Crash Test!  (Read 2899 times)

Offline PetrosATopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Agilent U1211A Crash Test!
« on: August 11, 2011, 01:41:55 am »
We all have those days from time to time when we do something really, really stupid. Today was one of them for me. I had pulled up to my job and started unloading tools and my clamp meter when I got a phone call. I laid the clamp meter, in its case, on the hood of my truck while I wrote something down. Two phone calls and three trips later I started working.

A few hours later I was on my way to lunch and to drop off some materials at another job. Driving down the road at a nice 70-80 km/h or so, I heard something like the crinkle of one of those plastic tubs that cookies (biscuits) come in and saw something fly up in my passenger side mirror and figured I had run over some trash on the road. I had completely forgotten that the clamp meter was on my hood, and I didn't figure it out for another four and a half hours (when I actually needed the meter and started looking for it...).

4:30 in the afternoon, I start looking for my clamp. It took about 5 minutes of looking before I connected the dots and drove back with a sinking heart to where I had seen that trash fly up. Unbelievably, the meter was laying there on the side of the road in its case. I pulled it out and couldn't believe it was still in one piece and, what's more, still working fine.

I suspect someone must have stopped and tossed it into the grass because I remember seeing it tumbling on the asphalt. I don't know whether or how many cars may have run over it but it's likely that it got run over after flying off the hood at 80 km/h. Either way, I was seriously impressed by how it withstood my stupidity.

Thank you Agilent!
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Agilent U1211A Crash Test!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 11:42:11 am »
Does it look pretty battered, P?  If so, some pictures would be nice.  Shows you the difference between the good names and others, even if they look the same.  Did the case for it help?
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:19:13 pm »
I can't see any damage from the crash at all. It was in the soft case that it came with, and that looks pretty decent too. The only scuffs I see are on the carabiner hook that I have on the carrying strap for hanging in the truck. The case looks solid as ever and no tire marks which is why I can't say for sure whether it got run over. I'll post some photos later when I can.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:28:14 am »
Pics as promised:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf