Author Topic: Any Rigol DS2072A-S user?  (Read 8356 times)

Offline eliocorTopic starter

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
Any Rigol DS2072A-S user?
« on: February 02, 2014, 05:01:49 pm »
I'd like to buy a Rigol DS2072A-S (with an incorporated signal generator): I searched the forum but it seems no one own it.
I will rarely use the signal generator (already have a big HP one!) but in some occasions it will be useful especially when I will have to use the scope outside my lab.
Have you:
- contraindications regarding this "combo"?
- used it?
- is the signal generator easy to be controlled from the scope menu?
- any other detail/hint about this device?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:03:20 pm by eliocor »

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Any Rigol DS2072A-S user?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 07:14:17 pm »
I do not own a DS2072A-S. But I do own a DS1074Z-S. Assuming they are a bit lookalike, please look here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/need-advice-on-a-new-oscilloscope-1500-dollar-budget/msg379976/#msg379976
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:16:33 pm by cybermaus »

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 07:48:59 pm »
Thanks a lot.
It was the kind of answer I was looking for: too many limitations!
I think I will go for a DS2072A

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:00:22 pm »
Not sure if you read that correct, please reread the last paragraph.

Your situation is slightly different then the OP of that thread. You have a proper signal gen, and want it extra for when portable.
But yes, setting frequency and amplitude is a drag, if you want to do that comfortably while in the field also, carry two devices instead.

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:04:31 pm »
exactly: even if usable, the limitations are too much!

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 08:31:17 pm »
Yeah. I would be absolutely positive if they would make an update where:

- They made the the generic rotary button logarithmic (so from 1.000 to 2.000 would take the same rotations as from 2000~5000 or from 5000~9999 in a smooth continues scale) for both freq and amplitude scales. It currently is linear, so its OK from 1.000 to 2.000 but a drag to get past the 7.000 to 9.999 range, and than it accelerates a factor 10 at 10.00
- The numeric input would be made easier, for example by using the 6 menu and 2 page buttons to map out 0~9. and MKmHz
- They would add sweep to the modulation menu, it already has AM and FM.

But I best not hold my breath till that update comes.
It is usable though. Just need to bear the input method.

Offline jtizzle

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 08:58:35 pm »
Hi all.  First time poster here.  As Marmad has said -first ones always the hardest... ha perhaps this is true.   I just don't want to say anything incredibly dumb and get flamed!   There are some very smart people here.   Fascinating reading -posting can be a little intimidating!  I have spent no less than a straight week watching Dave's video's and the last 3 days reading every post in the two huge 2072 threads.  Wow what a great community here. 
I logged on a minute ago to post a question in the 2072 first impressions thread, but this thread with my very question topped the list.  There is no doubt that this blog has been instrumental in Rigol's success  -surely they've taken notice. Anyway, I am still undecided on the option -s.  I am ready to pull the trigger on this scope, but I am also in need of a basic SG and of course... am on a budget.   I really don't mind the difficulty changing the signal and setting the SG up, though I do plan on getting a more capable AWG eventually, my immediate needs have me wanting the -S option for a couple of hundred more.  Question:  When one says "too many limitations", does this mean that I may not be able to "upgrade" the -S the same as I would the 2072A "SG-less" version?  Still yet, should the extra 200-300 be put toward a more capable stand alone SG despite the bench-top real-estate advantages?

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 09:22:29 pm »
for me "too many limitations" means:
- I do not want to spend more than few seconds setting the generator to the required frequency
- I do no want to wander in too depth menus to change some options
- Being integrated in the scope, I PRETEND that scope can be triggered by the start of the signal
- Generator should be sweepable (even if own a spectrum analyzer with tracking generator)

I think this generator can be more than enough as a "starter" instrument, but unfortunately I'm used to (maybe older/heavier/bigger) good instruments which can be set in a very few time.

just as an example, I'm completely sure I will not be able to replay (on the generator) a waveform captured on the scope without the "intervention" of a PC!

cybermaus told me exactly what I wanted to know.

Offline jtizzle

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 09:35:15 pm »
Thanks for clarifying eliocor.  Didn't mean to call you out by spotlighting your words... I mean't to pose more of an "in general" type of question.   

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 09:54:02 pm »
Don't worry: I was the one who started this thread.
It seems to me that I have to give more details about my requirements: in my first post I surely was too "generic".

Offline Nebukad

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 10:22:08 pm »
Hi to the EEVBlog-Community!
Thank all you guys for the great work you doing here - and of course: Thank you Dave for this Blog and all the work you put into this project, especially the videos!
This is my first post here but for sure not the last ;)

I also want to get my first real Scope soon. I currently only have a NLS Miniscope MS-15, which gives you 50Hz basically everytime you want to see any signal ...

After watching many Videos and did a lot of googeling, i'm also stuck in the decision between DS2072A-S and  DS1074Z-S. Since I dont have any kind of signal generator apart from the Soundcard in my PC, the -S option will definetely be useful.

There is one question I couldnt find any answer on: Is it possible to get all features unlocked in the DS2072A-S? (200/300 MHz Bandwidth and so on)
It's definetely possible on the D2072, but I could not find anything about the DS2072A-S in particular.
Would be great if someone owns this scope and could tell me, if it works or not.

Offline Nebukad

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 04:08:53 pm »
So I bought the 2072A-S Version.

To answer my own question: Yes, it is possible, to unlock all the Options also on this version. Got the 300MHz B/W and all Memory/Trigger/Decode options. The Signal Generator still works just fine and the 50Ohm input impedance also works.

But to answer your questions, here are some negative experiences I made with this device so far:

- It's pretty loud. I use it at home in my room, so there are no other devices making noise except my PC. But in comparison to the PC, which is nearly not hearable, the scope is really a bit annoying. Since there is no Fan-Control at all, the fan is always at full speed, also if I just take one snapshot every minute. When I'm really working on something and have to scope running for more than 15 minutes, the fan noise really starts to piss me off.
- The controls are pretty un-intuitive. It has so many buttons and nobs but still I can't say, it's easy or unintuitive to set this thing up. This is the same for the Scope part as for the Signal-Generator part. I don't like the haptics of this instrument at all. The Buttons are pretty squishy and the small rotary knobs feally pretty cheap.
- The Signal Generator is not sweepable. Of course you can use the rotary knob to sweep it, but that is not what you want to.
- Of course it is Made in China, but there are to many parts of the instructions or datasheets full of chinese symbols, you could think this device was actually meant for the asian market.

In conclusion: Besides the nice specs for this price in terms of screen resolution, memory, Bandwidth, I'm not sure, whether I will keep it or not.
It just "feel" pretty cheap for a 1100€ device (1500$).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf