Author Topic: Bench power supply suggestions [intermediate level, undergraduate EE]  (Read 5118 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Bench power supply suggestions [intermediate level, undergraduate EE]
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 10:49:29 pm »
I'm not around for years so maybe that's that.
I haven't looked at the siglent options yet..
Maybe I have to..
I'll watch a video or something of the SPD3303X-E..
There must be a lot of info available for it.
The most prominent reason price aside that I looked at the Rigol was that I also have two other Rigol units and the three of them would communicate easier (since it's unlockable even more so).
Understood.

However communication between the Rigol stuff you already have and a PSU is a very unlikely use case.
Care to share one ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline belzrebuthTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 10:51:48 pm »
On top of my head: just less software on my computer..
No particular scenario comes to mind except that I'll have only one manufacturer to blame if something goes wrong.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2019, 01:58:08 pm »
I own both the SPD3303X-E and the DP832 (that thinks it's a DP832A); here's a quick comparison.

The 2 major gripes on the Rigol are that the fan is noisy (was, I replaced it) and the ground for Ch3 is shared with Ch2 but that hasn't stopped me from configuring it for any use I have needed so far.  The DP832A color display is clear and, although it looks like a pie chart, I have really warmed up to that display mode.

The Siglent's Ch3 can only be set to one of 3 voltages (2.5, 3.3, and 5) and the only current limiting Ch3 has is a fixed 3.2A which makes Ch3 almost unusable IMHO.  The display is bright and big but, when the white on cyan select effect is applied to a parameter, I find it difficult to read and I end up crouching down to get closer to see the value I'm setting.

The Siglent has poorly-designed and sloppy binding posts (even after they sent me new ones to fit myself) and some cheaper banana plugs are almost unusable with it - you only have to touch them and they drop out; these same banana plugs work perfectly on the Rigol.

Rigol claims Low Ripple Noise <350 uVrms/2mVpp and fast transient response time: <50 us.  Siglent specs say Ripple&Noise ≤1mVrms(5Hz ~ 1MHz)with the same response time.

Overall, I much prefer the DP832(A) but it is bigger and heavier if that's an issue for you.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2019, 02:08:04 pm »
I think I'm set for the DP832. It has probably a lot more than I could ask for and the price is just about what I can give for a psu at this point.
Getting it to DP832A specs makes it even more desirable.
Thanks for your insight Gandalf_Sr.
Would you mind sharing the fan model you've used?
I also plan to replace the fan on my DS1054z as well.
I find myself using my old Tek 2235 more frequently because of the fan noise..

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 02:23:47 pm »
You're welcome :D

Here's the link to the fan replacement.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2019, 02:26:33 pm »
One last thing!
Has that overshoot issue ever caused any problems to you?!
I was worried a bit for digital logic stuff but I don't think I ever used something with a logic threshold of sub 1 volt..

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2019, 05:02:29 pm »
Typically it's not an issue since the circuit won't be actively powered at startup. That issue is only when switching it on with the mains power switch.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2019, 05:12:08 pm »
Oh, I thought it was an output enable thing..
Great news!

Offline Vaiti

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2019, 05:49:40 pm »
The DP832A color display is clear and, although it looks like a pie chart, I have really warmed up to that display mode.

You can get a normal colored non pie chart display out as well, in case you didn't know. Just have to get into settings and change the display mode.

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2019, 05:55:32 pm »
This thread covers the mains power-up glitch pretty well. General consensus is that at least in case of the DP832 (A), it's nothing to worry about.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2019, 08:52:17 am »
The DP832A color display is clear and, although it looks like a pie chart, I have really warmed up to that display mode.

You can get a normal colored non pie chart display out as well, in case you didn't know. Just have to get into settings and change the display mode.
I did know that you could get that colored display but thanks for pointing it out.  After you convince the DP832 that it's a DP832A, the default display mode is 'pie chart' (I think) but you can get any of the other displays too.  What you don't get after the conversion is the colored LEDs behind the [1] [2] [3] buttons, I haven't got round to fitting the 0805 LEDs to mine yet.

I haven't experienced any start up glitches and I do leave stuff connected to Ch1 while I power up the DP832(A)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:55:44 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline Leiothrix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2019, 09:51:20 pm »
I bought one about a year ago.  I was tossing up between a used HP, a Rigol DP832 and a Siglent SPD3303X-E.

HP got scratched because I'm in Australia, so finding something decent at a non-stupid price is kinda difficult sometimes.

Rigol got scratched because its case is enormous and wouldn't fit on my desk.

So I got the Siglent.  No complaints from me, it does everything that I want it to.

Just check the physical dimensions before you commit to anything.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2019, 11:19:33 pm »
What's wrong with the DP832?
It's Chinese alright but Rigol seems like a solid company from what I read around.
I also have no problems with what I've bought so far.

I have that PS and it works just fine.  In at least one way it is more user friendly than the Siglent equivalent in that there is a keypad for numeric entry instead of just spinning a knob.  It has a knob for minor twiddling.

I also have the DS1054Z scope and it also works very well.

When you look at PSUs with current limiting, read the manual to see how it is adjusted.  The Rigol, and most higher quality PSUs, will have a digital adjustment that is set with the voltage off.  The cheap supplies expect you to short the output and turn a pot.  Not my favorite way of setting things.

There has always been Chinese bashing on this forum.  Some warranted, some not.  And, yes, an HP supply would be nice as long as it had equivalent features for a lower price.  It won't...  There are lots of supplies with analog meters and they're cheap enough, I suppose, but they aren't what a modern PSU should be.  That's why they're sold as surplus.

Here's Dave's review of the DP832

ETA:  So, I watched the video only to discover that I use about 1% of what the PS can do.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:06:32 am by rstofer »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 12:01:42 am »
Note that tautech is a Siglent dealer notorious for trying to push the brand in every thread. The Rigol is a popular option and serves a lot of people well including the not-so notorious Dave Jones.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2019, 12:10:34 am »
Note that tautech is a Siglent dealer notorious for trying to push the brand in every thread.
So you might think !
Really not everyone is aware that Siglent offer a good PSU so I make them aware a Siglent PSU might be a viable option.
I don't get what you see is wrong with that.
After all it's up to the informed buyers choice how they spend their dosh, not yours, mine or anyone else !
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:13:37 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 12:11:09 am »
Recent thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/beginner-bench-power-supply-question-before-buying/

There is an issue with DP832 in that 2 outputs share a ground you need be aware of.
Others have been put off them because of this.

It simply means the if you want +-15V and 5V, channel 2 MUST be the +15V supply,  The (-) side of Channel 2 is commoned with the (-) side of channel 3.  Not a big deal at all.  In my world...

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2019, 12:16:08 am »
Recent thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/beginner-bench-power-supply-question-before-buying/

There is an issue with DP832 in that 2 outputs share a ground you need be aware of.
Others have been put off them because of this.

It simply means the if you want +-15V and 5V, channel 2 MUST be the +15V supply,  The (-) side of Channel 2 is commoned with the (-) side of channel 3.  Not a big deal at all.  In my world...

I've always found that so awkward to setup(in my head) I just use a second supply. It does work though.

Note that tautech is a Siglent dealer notorious for trying to push the brand in every thread.
So you might think !
Really not everyone is aware that Siglent offer a good PSU so I make them aware a Siglent PSU might be a viable option.
After all it's up to the informed buyers choice how they spend their dosh, not yours, mine or anyone else !

When I respond to these threads I typically recommend the siglent as well. The two units have some minor differences which can throw one or the other out just on preferences. Then there is the size difference. They are both lower cost units that will do the job though and I don't think people can go wrong either way now that they've both got their bigger issues solved.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2019, 12:19:23 am »
So you might think !
After all it's the buyers choice how they spend their dosh, not yours, mine or anyone else !
The business relationship is right there on the signature line so it is certainly not being concealed in any way.  It is actually useful to get informed comments re Siglent and it's too bad there isn't a Rigol distributor contributing as well.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2019, 12:30:23 am »
Re: the DP832 video

Dave didn't talk about the difference between the voltage & current settings and the voltage & current limits.  The power supply will try to control the output to stay within the voltage & current settings.  If either the voltage or current somehow exceeds to 'limit' value, the output will shut down.

This PS is very useful for bringing up new projects.  I did a Z80 project a while back and I had an address conflict.  I had set the current quite low and when the device current reached the setpoint, the voltage dropped to near zero.  I could tell immediately that there was a problem and I didn't have to worry about the magic smoke pouring out of the chips.

A very nice supply.  It's the one I have but I am sure there are many others that work the same way.

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2019, 12:34:42 am »
If I was in the market for a 3ch supply, I would seriously consider the GW Instek GPP-3323.  About the same price as a DP832, but can be used as an Electronic Load in CV,CC, and CR modes.

Power Supply:
Ch1/2: 0-32V 3A
Ch3: 5V/3.3V/2.5V/1.8V @ 5A

Electronic Load:
Ch2: 0-32V 0-3A (50W max)

The only thing I personally don't care for is a lack of sense terminals on any of the models above the single channel version.  Although I don't believe the Rigol or Siglent being discussed have sense terminals either.

I attached the datasheet.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2019, 12:38:24 am »
So you might think !
You do push the brand in pretty much every advice thread you participate in and are well known for it amongst regulars so no discussion there. I agree that people should make informed decisions which is why they need to be aware of the interests of those supplying suggestions.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2019, 12:41:30 am »
Overall, I much prefer the DP832(A) but it is bigger and heavier if that's an issue for you.

The old color monitors (think Sony MultiSync CRT type) and linear power supplies share one thing in common:  You buy quality by the pound.  A heavier supply is better than a lighter supply. For the PS, you're buying a more robust transformer and more heatsinking.  The weigh difference isn't in the PCBs themselves, it's in the metal stuff.  More weight is good!

Unless the difference is insignificant.  But if it is multiple pounds, buy on weight.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2019, 12:44:21 am »
The business relationship is right there on the signature line so it is certainly not being concealed in any way.  It is actually useful to get informed comments re Siglent and it's too bad there isn't a Rigol distributor contributing as well.
The signature line isn't always visible depending on the device you use to view the forums. It's easy for people to overlook the line regardless and several in the past did so there's no harm in making sure everyone knows what's what.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2019, 01:05:35 am »
The signature line isn't always visible depending on the device you use to view the forums. It's easy for people to overlook the line regardless and several in the past did so there's no harm in making sure everyone knows what's what.
Which is exactly the reason why I shifted my disclosure to my profile and not signature.
It's plainly visible for all to see.

It would seem you get disturbed when someone buys a Siglent product after assessing datasheets from all other competing brands. Are you some <brand> closet fanboy ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2019, 01:29:26 am »
Which is exactly the reason why I shifted my disclosure to my profile and not signature.
It's plainly visible for all to see.

It would seem you get disturbed when someone buys a Siglent product after assessing datasheets from all other competing brands. Are you some <brand> closet fanboy ?
Why do you get upset about making sure people get all the relevant information? According to your own words we both are in favour of informed decisions so there's no need for the salty attitude. I have no issue with Siglent other than you pushing the brand so aggressively and one-sidedly that a lot of noise is introduced. This tends to happen in threads started by newcomers who ask advise and are most susceptible to it. There are many brand representatives who makes themselves useful around here who I don't have any issues with. Coincidentally they're a lot less zealous and better at providing information in a neutral manner.

The following users thanked this post: Vaiti

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf