Author Topic: best cheapest electronics fluke  (Read 17998 times)

Offline thomst77Topic starter

• Contributor
best cheapest electronics fluke
« on: June 25, 2013, 03:17:21 am »
Currently I only have a $20 Radio Shack pocket multimeter. I have had it for 20yrs. It has been a good meter but it is very basic. I also have a $5 Harbor Freight CenTech very cheap meter, But it was all I could afford. I have been getting more into building circuits and kits so I need something more geared towards electronics. I have been looking for a moderately priced meter and I have around $150 to spend. I have been looking hard at the BK Precision 2709B multimeter. But I would really love to have a Fluke. So my question is what is the lowest priced Fluke that would be geared more towards electronics? It has to have the full capacitance and resistance range that I would need for electronics work. Be able to test leds. I have looked at the 100 series and I am not sure it has the ranges I need? I appreciate everyones input on which one I should get.
Tom

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: best cheapest electronics fluke
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:33:16 am »
Have you watched these two videos yet?

It may help with your decisions

The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 03:57:36 am »
The short answer is the Fluke 17B. I think that would be much happier with the 2709B, or a Brymen BM257 from iloveelectronics here on the forums.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:59:09 am »
I found this selector, it might help

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/products/ProdSelGuide-DMM.htm

To just get the 100 series, select Compact.

You can get a higher capacitor range in the 100 series but the 17B looks pretty good if you only need up to 100uF.

Are you wanting the Fluke for the quality or the prestige?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:09:45 am by Stonent »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:10:24 am »
The 100 series does not have microamps which is pretty necessary for electronics. Almost no one needs big capacitor measurements.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 04:15:24 am »
Well, there you go, sounds like that would be the best over-all match for you from Fluke.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 04:31:22 am »
It sounds like you are in the USA.  If you don't mind buying used, you can get a Fluke 87V with patience either on ebay or locally.  If you don't have patience, you can quite easily get a Fluke 87 III for under $150 USD.  If you aren't a very good shopper, then you can easily get an original Fluke 87 for $150!  :-DD

For example,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321147901867

Obviously, there are caveats with buying used, but you can get a good deal.

Getting a Fluke 87V for $80 USD + free shipping takes a lot of luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121127464902

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 04:32:36 am »
But really, I have to push the Brymen BM257 for $135 shipped to your door. It out classes the Fluke 17B in every way except for the Fluke reputation. IMHO it is the best meter you can buy for under $150. And then should you want or need it you can also get the PC connection for it.

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 04:44:52 am »
But really, I have to push the Brymen BM257 for $135 shipped to your door. It out classes the Fluke 17B in every way except for the Fluke reputation. IMHO it is the best meter you can buy for under $150. And then should you want or need it you can also get the PC connection for it.

+1
To be responsible, but never to let fear stop the imagination.

Offline cthree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:54:13 am »
You can buy a Fluke 87III on eBay for $99 all day long. I bought 2 of them in the last couple months. You can get a 87V for under $200. What the III doesn't have that the V does is support for temperature and low pass filter. The III is a way better value and will crush any of those sub $99 meters (literally, the thing is a brick!)

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 05:40:29 am »
A few other operational differences between the III and V.

III measures up to 5uF, one level backlight, defaults to DC for current measurements, 4000 count, hi-res 20,000 count is only 1 update/sec, getting into hi-res "reboot/reset" the entire meter.

V measures up to 9999uF, two level backlight, defaults to AC for current measurements, 6000 count, hi-res 20,000 count is 4 updates/sec, getting into hi-res does NOT "reboot/reset" the entire meter.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 05:52:44 am »
Thank You all for the input. I do want Fluke for the Quality and Reputation. But the Brymen looks nice. I know the Taiwanese make good stuff. Better than China in my opinion. And the 17b Fluke is Chinese built. As for the Used Fluke 87. I would really like to have one of those. I just don't like buying used on ebay. What do you think about the 100 series Flukes? Which one would be more geared for Electronics? And where can I order the Brymen?

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 06:45:56 am »
Thank You all for the input. I do want Fluke for the Quality and Reputation. But the Brymen looks nice. I know the Taiwanese make good stuff. Better than China in my opinion. And the 17b Fluke is Chinese built. As for the Used Fluke 87. I would really like to have one of those. I just don't like buying used on ebay. What do you think about the 100 series Flukes? Which one would be more geared for Electronics? And where can I order the Brymen?

I have a few more Brymen BM-257's available in my eBay store (link in my signature). I can also offer a discount if the sale takes place outside of the eBay system, as the eBay fees are saved that way. There are quite a few members here who are my customers and hopefully that will give you some confidence even though I'm not a big corporate seller.

I actually have a few BM-521, 525 and 869 in stock too. They will be posted on my store soon.
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 06:48:37 am »

I got my Brymen 867s here: http://www.tme.eu/pl/

Another thing about actual Brymen (as opposed rebrands) stuff, is the price (imho) is *amazing*.

I'm in Canada and *with shipping*, I probably saved $550 ordering an original Brymen from Poland including shipping as opposed to locally available equivalents or rebrands.  (I bought two BM867s and two KITBU-86X connectivity cables and software, which are *reasonably* priced compared to rebrands, not $150+ or something similarly outrageous).

I'll give you an idea of how cheap: I paid 169 USD per BM867.  Total shipping cost: 23 USD.

$200 to the door for that much meter is fantastic.

Just my two cents, ymmv.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 07:12:37 am »
Thank You all for the input and the very fast replies. It is a nice community here. I really like Dave's videos on youtube. That is how I found this place. I think I have decided on the Brymen.
Thanks Tom

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 02:32:34 pm »
You will not regret it. And you can trust iloveelectronics. He is a very trustworthy and helpful person.

Offline calin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 06:10:44 pm »
Brymen is good no question.. maybe a bit of overkill but if you really want the digits/count go for it. Sincerely I would go for two (yeah you want to measure amps and volts @ the same time trust me)  UT61E-s  at around 50-60$.

As for 87-V - stay with the eyes open on craigslist .. I got an 87 V at 100$ from Craigslist .. beauty.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 07:50:30 pm »
Yes I agree that the UT61E is still a good buy too, except for the lack light, temperature, auto-power off, burden voltage and input protection. It has higher counts and basic accuracy plus included PC connection.

The OP already stated that he had another meter so the best thing to do is get much better meter. If one needs a second meter after getting a BM257 then a Uni-T UT136B, Digitek DT2843R, or a Digitek DT-4000ZC would be good cheap second meters. They each have their benefits.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:55:12 pm by Lightages »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 08:01:22 pm »
I just remembered that one of the requirements was that the new meter is able to light LEDs. I will not be home for 3 more days so I can't double check my BM257. If I remember correctly, it can't do so. Can anyone else confirm before then?

This has never been important to me so it doesn't stick in my mind.

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 11:14:49 pm »
I just remembered that one of the requirements was that the new meter is able to light LEDs. I will not be home for 3 more days so I can't double check my BM257. If I remember correctly, it can't do so. Can anyone else confirm before then?

I just tested. The diode mode of the BM-257 only puts out about 1.55V, which can barely light up a red LED if you look carefully, but no reading on the display. It cannot light any other colour LEDs.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:29:04 am by iloveelectronics »
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 12:53:19 am »

I just tested. The diode mode of the BM-257 only puts out about 1.55V, which can barely lit up a red LED if you look carefully, but no reading on the display. It cannot lit any other colour LEDs.

That is not a critical point. I can test leds other ways if need be.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 04:15:28 am »
I have just a few thoughts to add.  First, I have had good luck with Ebay and would suggest you give it a chance.  I recently bought a Fluke 87-3 for $80 off ebay (it was the Matco branded version). 

A few others you might consider are the Agilent U1241.  I got one recently and the only down side is the speaker is very quite.  The specs are very good and certainly for most measurements this is just as good as the Fluke 87.  A forum member also figured out how to hack it into a U1242. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Agilent-Technologies-U1241AN-True-RMS-Digital-Multimeter-/251294414259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a825075b3

Another good fluke alternative is the series of BK Precision meters made by Metrix a while back.  This is the same one I have (not the exact unit).   The BK 5360 (and the 53x0 family) are rebadges of the Metrix MX line.  The 5360 is the bottom of the range with a lousy 0.1% accuracy and a 50,000 count display.  It also has AC+DC true RMS and just in case your bench gets flooded, it's IP677 rated which means you can submerge it if you want.  Note that you should NOT test high voltage lines when you are submerged.  Anyway, for $41 this buyer got a meter that would give the Fluke 87 a good run for it's money.  This however is a used meter with the associated risks and the like.  It's also made in France... if you want to pick on a European country, why not pick France ( :D )
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-Precision-Digital-Multimeter-5360-/281096537476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4172a8c584

One last meter to consider would be the Fluke 27.  Dave's got a review.  Again they are ebay so I will understand if you pass.  However, they are accurate, have uA readings, and can be had really cheap if you look around.  Mine cost only $16 (without probes). 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:18:10 am by Robomeds »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 05:16:43 am »
Yeah, you won't get a new Fluke for your price range, unless it's the 17B from China.
Used Flukes are generally a very good and relatively safe option though.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 05:27:20 am »
Well Amprobe, Keithly, Fluke, Matco, and Tek are all owned by Danaher corp... Any of those brands have good quality instruments and tools. And I'm sure they all have some overlapping product lines so you could get a Fluke under another name easily.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 12:31:28 pm »
Well Amprobe, Keithly, Fluke, Matco, and Tek are all owned by Danaher corp... Any of those brands have good quality instruments and tools. And I'm sure they all have some overlapping product lines so you could get a Fluke under another name easily.
You can get a Matco cobranded Fluke  but other than the rare Sears Craftsman that was a rebadged Fluke 17B, I'm not aware of any Flukes that were rebadged as something else.  Based on Dave's reviews I wouldn't assume an Amprobe is a Fluke under the skin. 

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 09:00:38 pm »
Based on Dave's reviews I wouldn't assume an Amprobe is a Fluke under the skin.
Amprobe is likely to be one of the following:

1) Wavetek/Meterman design like the 34XR/37XR
2) Brymen ODM like the AM140/AM160
3) Appa ODM like the AM60

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 12:00:55 am »
Again I'm violating the ebay rule but 15 hours left on this no-bid Fluke 27FM meter.  True RMS (vs fake RMS) and good specs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310695223217?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 08:29:29 pm »
Again I'm violating the ebay rule but 15 hours left on this no-bid Fluke 27FM meter.  True RMS (vs fake RMS) and good specs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310695223217?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

A have a Fluke 27/FM, I could throw it in a mucky river and it'll be *fine*.  Also, even though it doesn't have super resolution, it tracks my HP3457 and my Keithly 196 dead solid.

You'll love it, I guarantee

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 08:30:30 pm »
For those who want an used Fluke 87V with silicone leads for less than $130 USD + $11 USD shipping, this auction is still surprisingly running?  Obviously, I can't vouch for the seller and its condition, but have a look.  It is missing the rubber holster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130936994205

Personally, I would consider buying it, but the seller only ships to USA and uses UPS (brown).  UPS charges insane brokerage charges for USA to Canada which makes me pass on this auction.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:32:28 pm by retiredcaps »

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 12:05:21 pm »
Another good fluke alternative is the series of BK Precision meters made by Metrix a while back.  This is the same one I have (not the exact unit).   The BK 5360 (and the 53x0 family) are rebadges of the Metrix MX line.  The 5360 is the bottom of the range with a lousy 0.1% accuracy and a 50,000 count display.  It also has AC+DC true RMS and just in case your bench gets flooded, it's IP677 rated which means you can submerge it if you want.  Note that you should NOT test high voltage lines when you are submerged.  Anyway, for $41 this buyer got a meter that would give the Fluke 87 a good run for it's money.  This however is a used meter with the associated risks and the like.  It's also made in France... if you want to pick on a European country, why not pick France ( :D )
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-Precision-Digital-Multimeter-5360-/281096537476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4172a8c584

One just showed up on ebay starting at $25.  It looks well used but not bad for the money.  Do note that it looks like one of the fuses was replaced with a standard glass fuse. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-Precision-ASYC-II-5360-Extremely-Versatile-Meter-With-Test-Lead-Set-/151083853938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232d4ca872
Disclaimer:  No relation or association with the seller.  I'm just showing what I found.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 10:58:53 pm »
The 100 series does not have microamps which is pretty necessary for electronics. Almost no one needs big capacitor measurements.

This might not be sufficient, but the Fluke 116 spec is:
DC current from 0.1 to 600 micro A. AC current from 6.0 to 600 micro A. DC-coupled.

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 02:02:28 pm »
An update on the BK Precision 2709b.

I've had it for a month now. It's a pretty okay meter so far, I definitely like it. However, I recently discovered that the MIN/MAX functionality is digital only. Which, while useful in its own right, is somewhat of a letdown. No measuring transients with this one, the update speed of the storage is the update speed of the screen.

Of course I have no idea whether say, a Fluke 87-V has an analog susbsystem for catching minimums and maximums that may last a fraction of a second. This BK Precision is the best meter I've ever used outside a university lab (and those were bench meters worth several grand each).

alm

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 02:20:03 pm »
Min/max is usually digital, but many more expensive meters will have an analog system called 'peak hold' or 'fast min/max'.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf