Author Topic: Best multimeter for ~50€  (Read 4097 times)

Offline D.KrugerTopic starter

• Contributor
Best multimeter for ~50€
« on: February 15, 2021, 08:40:57 am »
Hi everyone,
In my company we are going to buy 5 multimeters. I was looking different models and so far, the best I've found are Uni-t ut139e and Peaktech 2025.
I have a ut139c and I'm quite happy with it, but is missing the datalogging capabilities of the Peaktech. I don't know if we ended up using the datalogging a lot but my superior mentioned as a nice bonus.
Does anyone know a better multimeter for around 50€?

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
Re: Best multimeter for ~50€
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 08:44:44 am »
D.Kruger - UNIT UT61E+ ;)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 08:48:05 am »
If you're only spending 50€, having logging on it probably means less quality in another area. So, if you're not sure you'll ever use it: don't bother.

Also: USB on a DMM makes me cringe..  :scared:

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 09:00:58 am »
If you're only spending 50€, having logging on it probably means less quality in another area. So, if you're not sure you'll ever use it: don't bother.

Or get one that can log, just in case.

They're optically isolated.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 09:01:46 am »
Hi everyone,
In my company we are going to buy 5 multimeters. I was looking different models and so far, the best I've found are Uni-t ut139e and Peaktech 2025.
I have a ut139c and I'm quite happy with it, but is missing the datalogging capabilities of the Peaktech. I don't know if we ended up using the datalogging a lot but my superior mentioned as a nice bonus.
Does anyone know a better multimeter for around 50€?

You left out the single most important piece of information: What will they be used for?

(Yes, we know - "Everything!!!", but what will be their main, everyday use?)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 09:05:31 am by Fungus »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 09:19:32 am »

Probably. Still makes me cringe. Either it's well done and then a lot of budget went in adding logging/USB or it's not and then I don't want it anywhere near a bench where I'm working.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 09:26:45 am »

Probably. Still makes me cringe. Either it's well done and then a lot of budget went in adding logging/USB

It's just two LEDs and a transparent bit in the back of the case, no more complicated than a TV remote control.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 09:35:59 am by Fungus »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 09:42:46 am »

Probably. Still makes me cringe. Either it's well done and then a lot of budget went in adding logging/USB

It's just two LEDs and a transparent bit in the back of the case, no more complicated than a TV remote control.

To make a fully isolated USB connection?  :o

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 09:50:59 am »

That is the way it is done on meters with a external adapter, with build-in USB the isolation may not be nearly as good, especially with cheap Chinese meters. I have tested one meter without isolation to the build-in USB connector (I do not remember what meter) and a couple with very low creepage distance.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 09:57:47 am by HKJ »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 09:54:02 am »
Hence my remark that it makes me cringe.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 09:56:37 am »
You left out the single most important piece of information: What will they be used for?

(Yes, we know - "Everything!!!", but what will be their main, everyday use?)
The main use will be low voltage low current electronics: embedded systems, MCU boards, I2C/SPI connections... things with voltages under 5V and currents under 500mA. What a want basically is to measure the values with good precision and reliability.

For less common occasions I might need to measure mains AC one in a while, but not that important.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 10:03:03 am »

It's not "USB", it's a serial connection. The only thing that's USB is the plug on the end of the cable.

That is the way it is done on meters with a external adapter, with build-in USB the isolation may not be nearly as good, especially with cheap Chinese meters. I have tested one meter without isolation to the build-in USB connector (I do not remember what meter) and a couple with very low creepage distance.

I've never seen a meter with a USB connector on it. I've only seen LEDs/transparent plastic.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 10:10:21 am »

It's not "USB", it's a serial connection. The only thing that's USB is the plug on the end of the cable.

I've never seen a meter with a USB connector on it. I've only seen LEDs/transparent plastic.

That's how the regular brands do it. There's too little info to be sure but everything points to a "direct" USB connection.

https://www.peaktech.de/productdetail/kategorie/digital---handmultimeter/produkt/p_2025.html

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 10:30:07 am »
The main use will be low voltage low current electronics: embedded systems, MCU boards, I2C/SPI connections... things with voltages under 5V and currents under 500mA. What a want basically is to measure the values with good precision and reliability.

You can easily use (eg.) an Arduino for logging low voltage DC. It can do multiple channels, too, and high speed if needed. Handheld meters will only send a couple of values per second.

As for the meter: Go with the UT139C that you know or get some Anengs. These are good: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/33004463675.html

Reliability? There are exceptions but I think it's more productive to have lots of meters around to cross-check weird readings than to aim for a perfect meter.

Whatever meter(s) you go for, budget enough to get some nice gold-plated test leads to go with them. They do make a difference and they don't have to be expensive, eg. these are much better than the leads that came with my Aneng: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33006553337.html

For less common occasions I might need to measure mains AC one in a while, but not that important.

For occasional use you'll be safe with the meters above.

Correct procedure is at least as important as the meter (check three times that the leads are in the right holes and the selector switch is in the right place, wear a glove, don't do anything risky without somebody else around to notice if you scream and fall over, that sort of thing...)

Do all these meters have to be identical? Get a cheap Brymen or Fluke 101 to complement the others.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 10:30:36 am »

You mean like this:
Review of above meter: https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMVictor%2098A%20UK.html

Or this:
Review of above meter: https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMMastech%20MS8340B%20UK.html

Or this:
Review of above meter: https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMBSide%20ADM20%20UK.html

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 10:37:33 am »
That's how the regular brands do it. There's too little info to be sure but everything points to a "direct" USB connection.

https://www.peaktech.de/productdetail/kategorie/digital---handmultimeter/produkt/p_2025.html

They claim IEC 61010-1 + CAT III 600V so it must be isolated somehow.  :-//

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 10:39:29 am by Fungus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 10:42:53 am »

You mean like this:
Or this:
Or this:

OK, OK, they exist.  :)

That BSide meter has the USB interface on a separate board and LEDs for communication:

I'd like to see a bit more more gap between the two PCBs though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 10:45:30 am by Fungus »

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 10:45:51 am »

And because it is sold by a German company it is probably correct, but I would not trust a direct USB connection on a meter directly from China.

With the 3 examples I posted before, only one looks good (Mastech), the two other have rather short isolation/creepage distances.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 10:51:42 am »
And because it is sold by a German company it is probably correct, but I would not trust a direct USB connection on a meter directly from China.

The Chinese are starting to put Bluetooth in their cheapo meters. I wonder what the protocols are like.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001525757614.html

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 11:38:46 am »

You can easily use (eg.) an Arduino for logging low voltage DC. It can do multiple channels, too, and high speed if needed. Handheld meters will only send a couple of values per second.

As for the meter: Go with the UT139C that you know or get some Anengs. These are good: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/33004463675.html

Reliability? There are exceptions but I think it's more productive to have lots of meters around to cross-check weird readings than to aim for a perfect meter.

Whatever meter(s) you go for, budget enough to get some nice gold-plated test leads to go with them. They do make a difference and they don't have to be expensive, eg. these are much better than the leads that came with my Aneng: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33006553337.html

For occasional use you'll be safe with the meters above.

Correct procedure is at least as important as the meter (check three times that the leads are in the right holes and the selector switch is in the right place, wear a glove, don't do anything risky without somebody else around to notice if you scream and fall over, that sort of thing...)

Do all these meters have to be identical? Get a cheap Brymen or Fluke 101 to complement the others.
Thanks for the idea, then I will buy different models instead of the same one 5 times.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 11:46:04 am »
Thanks for the idea, then I will buy different models instead of the same one 5 times.

Perfect! :-+

(and if you're ever in Valencia then drop by...)

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2021, 11:47:05 am »
Thanks for the recommendation, I saw the thread in the forum about this meter but I couldn't find to much info about the safety levels of the meter so I was worried as I know the poor safety standards of the old one

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 11:57:31 am »
I couldn't find to much info about the safety levels of the meter so I was worried as I know the poor safety standards of the old one

It doesn't have independent certification so who knows? Uni-T has a history of making different versions of their meters that look the same on the outside but have completely different safety components inside.

eg. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dmm-recommendation-help/msg3463952/#msg3463952

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 12:17:53 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation, I saw the thread in the forum about this meter but I couldn't find to much info about the safety levels of the meter so I was worried as I know the poor safety standards of the old one
You can estimate the safety of this new model from the photo of the filling.

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 03:26:24 pm »
Perfect! :-+

(and if you're ever in Valencia then drop by...)
I live in Valencia, what a small world! ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf