Author Topic: Buying Both Rigol DS1000Z AND DS2000 Scopes  (Read 3902 times)

Offline SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Buying Both Rigol DS1000Z AND DS2000 Scopes
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:20:34 pm »
Over on the other thread Soren pointed out that buying both a Rigol DS1000Z AND a DS2000 scope would be cheaper than a DS4000.  That's 6 channels for less than the price of 4!*(with some compromise)

This is a seriously interesting concept and I think it deserves it's own thread.

Is it really the best of both worlds + more?  Obviously assuming you don't need the full sample rate on all 4 channels of the DS1000Z, what are the fundamental drawbacks vs a single DS4000 (or Agilent equivalent)?

Anyone have any experience with the Rigol PC software as far as syncing multiple pieces of test equipment? 

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Buying Both Rigol DS1000Z AND DS2000 Scopes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 12:03:54 am »
Hi,

the trigger out from the DS2000-Serie has a large jitter. Is was some time ago a issue in the
"REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol" thread.

So it is problematic to interconnect with a other scope for more channels.

Best Regards
egonotto

Offline neggles

• Contributor
  • I like to make things
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 12:28:43 am »
the trigger out from the DS2000-Serie has a large jitter. Is was some time ago a issue in the
"REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol" thread.

So it is problematic to interconnect with a other scope for more channels.

you could use the DS1000's trigger out into the DS2000's trigger in, which would largely solve that problem unless you need to trigger on something only the 2000 can see

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 01:38:04 am »
I hadn't heard of this trigger jitter problem.
But assuming you didn't have that (or connected them the other way around as suggested) then two scopes is indeed very interesting prospect.
Sometimes two scopes can be handy for triggering on two independent conditions at different (or even similar) similar times when you wants different sample rates etc.
You can also keep one hooked up and monitoring one project while you use the other on another project.
One could be used as a portable scope you can easily take places, both around the lab and into the field. Sometimes it's really annoying to get your "main" scope down off the instrument shelf and move it to somewhere else you need it.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:32:30 am »
what dave said! Many times "this".

I have been contemplating a cheap 4 channel garage scope with full screen but with a DIY battery pack to work on various BLDC driven ebikes and CNC machines. One which wouldn't make me weep too hard if I blow out an input channel or drop it ect. Plus having a second scope lets you debug the other one if it develops off warranty problems.

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 02:57:56 pm »
One could be used as a portable scope you can easily take places, both around the lab and into the field.

I have an old Fluke Scopemeter 97 for that purpose. 
It has the added advantage of being fully ground isolated (no connection to mains ground and no exposed metal parts at test circuit ground potential).  This permits safe differential measurements with a single probe/channel.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf