Author Topic: Camera and for smd inspection/rework  (Read 1516 times)

Offline IAmBackTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Camera and for smd inspection/rework
« on: October 23, 2019, 10:18:57 am »
I'm about to make "microscope" for smd work.

I am looking for c-mount camera and lens on ebay.

I expect to pay less than $100 for camera. I want it to have HDMI output and (at least) full-hd resolution. There are some "14mp" and "16mp" cameras on ebay (some with panasonic, some with sony sensor). Can someone share experiences with those units?

Also, I'm planning to buy "180X 0.5X-4.5X Zoom" lens (as by description). Is it good choice?

Regards.
Martin

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Camera and for smd inspection/rework
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 11:46:08 pm »
Defpom uses his one quite a lot:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Camera and for smd inspection/rework
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 12:16:37 am »
If you want to document a problem on a PCB or an assembly, a microscope with camera is good.

But for inspection and especially for rework, you will be much happier if you find a stereo microscope.  I don't know what's available in PL but old Bausch and Lomb Stereozoom microscopes were in abundance at one time and are pretty cheap today.  Or you may find one of the Russian stereo scope, which used to be around $400 when new, with accessories.  The optics were not Leica but were fine for general use.

I do a lot of SMT work and have also done a lot of work with video cameras and microscopes over the years.  WIthout the 3D stereo view, the lack of depth perception makes it very difficult to solder, etc.  For instance, when you are directly above a component with your soldering iron or tweezers, with 2D you can't tell if you are on the part or 3mm above it.

Also, with many stereo microscopes, a 0.5x lens is a good accessory to reduce the magnification AND double the working distance.

For SMT sizes of 1206 down to 0402 (and even 0201), magnification below 30x is generally good.

A microscope with good camera and display looks great but is not very useful for small work.  Sorry for not answering your question but hope this helps with your solution.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:21:00 am by EE-digger »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf