Author Topic: Oscilloscope for Arduino/Raspberry Pi projects. 2 or 4 channel? Critical specs?  (Read 35728 times)

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
If I am to say: to really do electronics right, you should learn calculus first - you (or I should say, most) would not get started in electronics.  No doubt calculus is both important and enlightening in solving many electronic problems.

+1  :-+  And not just calculus, also a general understanding of the basic physics and math behind it (i.e. that all waveforms are made up of multiple sine waves at various frequencies).

Absolutely - Basic Physics and basic calculus are indispensable in understanding electronics and many other things.  Even some MBA programs requires calculus.  Their importance can not be overstated.

It had been posited (by a TV documentary) that it was Albert Speer's Engineering skills that got him off the noose in Nuremberg - the only one in Hitler's inner circle that escaped the noose.  He worked it like an engineering problem: find out what the customer (judges) want, and present his case accordingly. He shown remorse and highlighted his own resistance to Hitler's instructions got him 20 years instead of the noose.

Andy Grove, an Engineer and one of the most successful Intel-CEOs : "a strategic inflection point is a time in the life of business when its fundamentals are about to change..."   He didn't say where "inflection point" came into his mind, but those of us who had calculus has no doubt where he got it.

However, if one must have calculus before electronics, not so many would get started.  I was/am just encouraging the OP to jump-in get get his hair wet first.  In the year that the OP spins up, newer scopes will come in on-line.  Nice equipment is of course nice, but as I said, "The trouble with a Lamborghini is, you really don't want to learn how to drive with it."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf