Author Topic: Custom Firmware Reference Document for Riden RD60xx Power Supplies  (Read 23091 times)

Offline sunkmailTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I have been working on a reference document / manual for using the RD60xx series of power supplies loaded with UniSoft's custom firmware.

RD60xx Custom Firmware Reference

It is NOT complete, but I think it has the vast majority of information.

Please feel free to use it as you like.

I will attempt to complete what's missing and update as new firmware versions are released.

Any comments, corrections, suggestions, or additional content are appreciated and welcome

This is my first time making a document public like this - I'm hoping I can update the existing file and this link will always be pointing to the most up-to-date version. :)

Enjoy!
RD60xx Custom Firmware Reference HERE, Or the Thread about it HERE.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
Re: Custom Firmware Reference Document for Riden RD60xx Power Supplies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 07:07:36 pm »
Well done and thank you.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

The following users thanked this post: pureBlack, ghoes

Online bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 07:16:17 pm »
Yes, great work.

While reading through it, I will probably come up with some recommendations for changes over time. Tell me how you want me to provide feedback. Am willing to participate. (If you use a Google Doc as working doc, you can for example give "editor" or "commenter" roles to specific people, while keeping a full trace of all changes. The equivalent is possible with MS.)

* it might be easier if you add chapter numbers. If you use Google Doc as a working doc, try out the "Table of Contents" add-on, as the default chapter numbering from Google Docs is cr*p.

* in the chapter "How to Install Custom Firmware": I have the impression that in 1 a) you use the menu description from the latest unisoft firmware, not the stock firmware. Cannot check now though, so I cannot confirm. It would be best to indicate both stock (new users) and adapted texts (for future..?) for this part.

* in the chapter "How to Install Custom Firmware": please add non-windows methods. My favourite is "https://github.com/tjko/riden-flashtool". You could add an example on how to use it: "python3 flash-rd.py /dev/tty.usbserial-31110 ../RD60121_V1.33.1m.bin"

* in the wifi section, you might want to add a link to https://cuttlefishblacknet.wordpress.com/2020/03/01/riden-rd6006-wifi/ or https://community.home-assistant.io/t/riden-rd6006-dc-power-supply-ha-support-wifi/163849 or fetch the schema from there (with a remark where you got it from). 

* "RS486 Module (if installed)" should very probably be "RS485 Module (if installed)"

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 07:44:15 pm by bateau020 »

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 05:59:41 pm »
Yes, great work.

Thanks!

While reading through it, I will probably come up with some recommendations for changes over time. Tell me how you want me to provide feedback. Am willing to participate. (If you use a Google Doc as working doc, you can for example give "editor" or "commenter" roles to specific people, while keeping a full trace of all changes. The equivalent is possible with MS.)

I've been using google docs.   (I'm not very experienced with working on collaborative documents yet.)

I'm happy to add you as a commenter if you like. 
      Send me a private message with your gmail and I'll set you up.

For the time being, I'd like to keep myself as the only editor, just to keep things consistent for now.   
       I may open it up to other editors once the changes settle down and its more of a maintenance issue.

* it might be easier if you add chapter numbers. If you use Google Doc as a working doc, try out the "Table of Contents" add-on, as the default chapter numbering from Google Docs is cr*p.

I'll look into that when I have some time.

* in the chapter "How to Install Custom Firmware": I have the impression that in 1 a) you use the menu description from the latest unisoft firmware, not the stock firmware. Cannot check now though, so I cannot confirm. It would be best to indicate both stock (new users) and adapted texts (for future..?) for this part.

You're right, I did you the UniSoft firmware in my example.  Obviously the difference slipped my mind there. :-//  I'll have to confirm the original firmware menu descriptions.

* in the chapter "How to Install Custom Firmware": please add non-windows methods. My favourite is "https://github.com/tjko/riden-flashtool". You could add an example on how to use it: "python3 flash-rd.py /dev/tty.usbserial-31110 ../RD60121_V1.33.1m.bin"

Good idea.   
     I only have Windows boxes myself, so I couldn't actually test the steps myself - which is one reason I wanted to get this out to the community, I knew there was going to be things I didn't think of.

* in the wifi section, you might want to add a link to https://cuttlefishblacknet.wordpress.com/2020/03/01/riden-rd6006-wifi/ or https://community.home-assistant.io/t/riden-rd6006-dc-power-supply-ha-support-wifi/163849 or fetch the schema from there (with a remark where you got it from).

Thanks for that too.   WiFi was a lower priority than getting the bulk of the options explained in detail, for me anyway.  I think that was the last section I added before publishing the document.  I welcome any help and am more than happy to give credit.

* "RS486 Module (if installed)" should very probably be "RS485 Module (if installed)"
   Already fixed on the working document.

Thanks for the feedback and offer to help!

Cheers

Offline LeviHB

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 05:56:49 pm »
Thank you for this. I still find it really bizarre that in 2021 things are being distributed throughout huge forums threads with no semblance of structure or version control.

Would you be open to setting this up as a git? I think that would be much better. And will stand up better historically, while it's often hard to find forum threads with links hosted on random websites several years after the post. So much has been lost from the 2000s as it was posted like this randomly in forums.

Online bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 06:33:18 pm »
The problem is that this custom firmware is primarily a one man effort, working independently from the manufacturer, improving the original code. He (unisoft) has stated that the code he has contains some encryption code that the manufacturer would not want to see made public. You will get what that means. And it explains why there is no Git. This manual some of the forum members are working on, is an attempt to group descriptions of the various improvements all together, to alleviate some of the concerns you have (rightly so). For all means, consider the code closed source, with a small amount of public improvements. I'm not in charge of how the manual is maintained, but it is a collaborative effort with version control, invite only for now (in that respect it is not much different than a private git). It might however indeed be a good idea to publish the latest stable version outside of the forum on a somewhat stable platform. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 06:43:51 pm by bateau020 »

Offline dougg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 11:52:19 pm »
Well said, bateau020.

Ah git, promises collaborative peer-to-peer interaction. However, in its biggest application, it delivers tyranny and torture to those in the middle and bottom of the pile. [Says one at that bottom.]  That said, I did cut my contribution to this project with LibreOffice Writer, converted it to html and placed it in (surprise) github here:
    https://doug-gilbert.github.io/rd60xx-unisoft/rd60xx-unisoft.html
I can't see any advantages to what I have done, over the main document being compiled by Scott with Google Docs. For the job of documentation, from the little I have seen of Google Docs, it seems preferable to my github approach.

Offline LeviHB

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 01:59:15 pm »
The problem is that this custom firmware is primarily a one man effort, working independently from the manufacturer, improving the original code. He (unisoft) has stated that the code he has contains some encryption code that the manufacturer would not want to see made public. You will get what that means. And it explains why there is no Git.

So long as it's clean room reverse engineering, then UniSoft is generally legally free to publish the information wherever they want. Redistributing modified firmware files is potentially a copyright violation though. But it's really quite easy to make it a BYOF (bring your own firmware!) style program, that simply imparts changes onto a firmware file you give it. Even auto-downloading it from their source is likely fine.

I would love to contribute this sort of stuff to the project, but with everything being in UniSoft's own hands and just distributing the raw firmwares himself, there's no real way to help. And in fact doing it this way is the most illegal way you could go about it. If they were to just submit the Australian equivalent of a DMCA (which is *very* similar to the US DMCA system) it would be legally required to be removed from this forum, at the risk of liability falling on the forum and/or its hosts.

If the changes and methodology were public there would be the possibility for anyone to add new features and create a pull request, or create their own fork if UniSoft did not want those changes going into the main repo.

This manual some of the forum members are working on, is an attempt to group descriptions of the various improvements all together, to alleviate some of the concerns you have (rightly so). For all means, consider the code closed source, with a small amount of public improvements. I'm not in charge of how the manual is maintained, but it is a collaborative effort with version control, invite only for now (in that respect it is not much different than a private git). It might however indeed be a good idea to publish the latest stable version outside of the forum on a somewhat stable platform.

What is the point of private control and then every now and then publishing it publicly? That defeats a lot of the point of both. Why not just have a single repo hosted on e.g. Github where all changes are published? And of course just make changes on a new branch until you're happy with them, then push back to master?

Well said, bateau020.

Ah git, promises collaborative peer-to-peer interaction. However, in its biggest application, it delivers tyranny and torture to those in the middle and bottom of the pile. [Says one at that bottom.]

Could you expand on what you even mean by this? If you create a git for it you will be the project maintainer. It will be up to you (and anyone else you add as a maintainer) what pull requests are allowed or not allowed.

https://doug-gilbert.github.io/rd60xx-unisoft/rd60xx-unisoft.html
I can't see any advantages to what I have done, over the main document being compiled by Scott with Google Docs. For the job of documentation, from the little I have seen of Google Docs, it seems preferable to my github approach.

That's not a git of the project. It's just the project stuck into another git of yours. The advantage of using a git for it are:

It's easy for anyone to contribute, whether that be fixing simple spelling mistakes, adding more/new better pictures, adding new sections, etc.

Forking the project - others can fork the project and continue it with a modified fork. This is great if for whatever reason your git becomes inactive.

Anyone can easily look at past versions. This is great if someone is on an older version of the firmware for whatever reason, and needs to find some information about that. They can simply go to that one and see the entire project at that specific date.

And as for hosting it on something like GitHub or Gitlab itself, that has advantages as well:

Issues section and rendering of things like md markup. A tremendous amount of projects host their documentation directly in the projects git using markup, while I'm not suggesting this project move to that method it would be something to consider.

It will last much longer. Forums are just not a very good or reliable medium to store things long-term, especially when linking to different external sites. Posts often get lost over time, and when forums move or change they easily lose content. So many things from the 2000s have been lost because of this. It's easy to find on Github though and should easily show up even in search engines, it's much more accessible and longer lasting. And with places like datahoarder on reddit, github projects are often backed up in plenty of independent locations in their original git form.

Organization. It's very hard to piece things together when spread out across multiple forum pages, or even worse threads. This type of thread somewhat solves it, but still doesn't actually fix the main issue.

There are a ton of good reasons to use git. It's why it's the industry standard in so many industries, of course in software development, open hardware development, documentation, and is getting used more and more for things like writing projects, papers, aggregation of other things, etc. The only reason these types of things used to be strewn across all sorts of forums is because the technology just wasn't there or widespread enough yet, it was always just what people had available at the time. That's why nearly everythings has moved away from this model, with very very few notable exceptions (e.g. XDA-Developers).

Online bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 02:53:17 pm »
You make some good points. Just to rain on your parade a little: Who still remembers that public source code repo that Microsoft had some while ago? And what about what SourceForge has become? And they were big at the time. Github is just another expression of the same idea. Yes, it is one of the more stable ones.
But the issue is not "to git or not to git", it is: "in a few years from now, where can I find the information without wading through loads of other stuff". Two reasons to put this in perspective:
1) The RD60xx series will hold out 5-10 years or so, max. Much better stuff will be available by then.
2) Even git will be supplanted some time from now. It is not some magical archive system that will hold out for the next 2 centuries (, and this has nothing to do with me liking or not liking git.)
In some time, all this will become the equivalent of just another paper manual for historical stuff. Please give the archeologists also something to do.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 03:08:05 pm by bateau020 »

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 09:06:35 am »

There are a ton of good reasons to use git. It's why it's the industry standard in so many industries, of course in software development, open hardware development, documentation, and is getting used more and more for things like writing projects, papers, aggregation of other things, etc. The only reason these types of things used to be strewn across all sorts of forums is because the technology just wasn't there or widespread enough yet, it was always just what people had available at the time. That's why nearly everythings has moved away from this model, with very very few notable exceptions (e.g. XDA-Developers).

Hi LeviHB,

I respect your opinion, and I want to eventually make this an open document, but I have a few particular reasons why I am doing it the way I am, for now ...

1) I don't know how to use Git.   (I have the idea of what it does, but I don't have any experience actually using it.)
           2) I have a pretty good handle on Google Docs.
           3) I wanted to get the vast majority of the document completed with only one Editor, so there is at least some consistency.
           4) I needed something I could use that was accessible from any computer without needing to install anything (due to my personal workflow needs)
           5) This project was originally going to be just for my own reference.

So, with all that in mind, Google Docs seemed like the best choice for me at the time.

I do hope to get a new revision posted in the next couple of days - there have been some significant improvements, particularly in the WiFi and Battery Charging areas.

Cheers!

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 10:00:59 pm »
Updated Version Posted

Link in the first Post will link to the updated document.

Enjoy

Online bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 06:12:38 pm »
WiFi and dV/dT have gotten an update. Don't believe the version that is up right now, corrected version will come soon.

Offline trazor

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 05:59:42 am »
This guide is very welcome. I've found an error.

Online bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 06:09:53 am »
yep, thanks.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 07:12:44 am »
New Update

(Mostly fixing WiFi and dV/dT)

The link in the first post is pointing to the most recent document, or use This (same link)

Offline Dos9570

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 10:48:39 am »
Hi sunkmail,
moved here as you suggested.
I have read systematically through the section 16, and could not find a thing I did wrong. yet none of the mentioned functions (p.50), specific to the Graph view work.
And again, "SHIFT+ARROW_DOWN" is said to use to get into the Quick Settings (p.49), and to reset the Y Offset (p.50).
I Am running version 1.34.1m It may also just be a Bug?

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 05:44:55 pm »
reset the Y Offset (p.50).
MEM + (UP or DOWN)

The following users thanked this post: ghoes, sunkmail

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 07:14:45 pm »

Document Updated with corrections and additional (new) information (battery charging)

Link in first post or below in my signature.

Enjoy

The following users thanked this post: trazor

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2021, 12:01:54 am »

Updated for latest Firmware release, n

Link in first post or in signature below.

The following users thanked this post: dougg, UniSoft

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 08:07:29 pm »
Updated for latest Firmware release, p

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 08:17:36 am »
Updated for latest Firmware release, 1b

The following users thanked this post: UniSoft, trazor, Maxie

Offline Maxie

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2021, 09:09:07 pm »
Hi sunkmail. Thanks for the great doc.
I found an error on page 29. Buzzer Mute functionality is vice versa.
When Mute is ON, the buzzer does not sound.
If I find more, I'll let you know.

The following users thanked this post: UniSoft

Offline Maxie

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2021, 03:16:57 am »
My findings with page numbers

p9 correct order: connect, file, write
p29 Mute ON/OFF the other way round
p31 OPP is not for the current session. It is saved in memory location
p31 ORP IF Set AND the W H A T ? tripped:
p34 OxP Beep page break

missing links
p6 Primary Power Supply link jumps to System Isolation ; same in many places throughout the document
p8 Interface-USB
p16 ORP-delay
p18 How to Change the Boot Logo Image jumps to wifi
p24 External LED Modification
p24,36 Graph Display - Detailed Explanation
p27 Layout 1 , Graph Display
p30,31,34 Colours Group Detailed Explanation
p35 Primary PS jumps to System Isolation
p35 Front Power Switch Modification
p40 Raw ADC Values and Calibration
p41 Current Session
p50 Battery Charger Group
p55 Accessing the Internals
p71 21.4. Charging Strategies

The following users thanked this post: UniSoft, trazor

Online bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 06:46:08 am »
Thanks, will integrate it, and will integrate the latest 1c.
Will have added some corrections to your corrections.  ;)

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2021, 07:28:46 am »
Updated for latest Firmware release, 1c

Special thanks to Bateau020 for handling the updates and to Maxie for finding errors.

Offline Maxie

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2021, 08:26:11 pm »
One more I overlooked last time.
You could update the screenshot of the RDFlasher on page 9 to the new and nicer v1.1

Online bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2021, 08:54:35 pm »
Thanks, taken into account. New version will be published soon.

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2021, 09:24:34 am »
The New version is now available.

See signature or initial post for link.

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2021, 09:18:10 am »
Another Update

For Firmware 1e

The following users thanked this post: UniSoft, trazor, Maxie

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2022, 01:23:54 am »
Another Update

For Firmware 1f

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2022, 05:05:38 am »
And another update to version 1g

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2022, 06:42:57 am »
Your latest document changes do not seem to be accompanied by the date change for corrections on the bottom of the first page shown. It still states "Latest Document Change: Feb 14, 2021".
Is that correct ???

Online bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2022, 07:52:07 am »
Sorry, that should read 2022 instead of 2021.
@sunkmail: I updated the source doc.

Offline andyB2022

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2022, 07:49:34 pm »
Hi! What about a firmware for RD6024 please? Thx.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Tarloth

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2022, 04:05:30 pm »
Hi Everyone,

The document has been updated!

New features, as per the latest "h" firmware.

The following users thanked this post: Tarloth, UniSoft, ptluis

Online Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2022, 08:41:05 pm »
THANKS Sunkmail (and Dougg and Bateau020) for the reference!!! It's very valuable! And thanks again to UniSoft for all the work.

The following users thanked this post: ZeroVolts, sunkmail

Offline barbaroja

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2022, 07:15:32 am »
Just revived this to thank UniSoft. Awesome work.

The following users thanked this post: sunkmail

Offline barbaroja

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2022, 12:01:00 pm »
Also thanks for the manual, Sunkmail. Great job.
Would be great to have a step by step, comprehensive calibration section. Currently, only an example is shown.

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2023, 07:48:29 pm »
bummer the 6024 isnt on the list.

The following users thanked this post: andyB2022

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2023, 02:19:28 am »
bummer the 6024 isnt on the list.
Of course not on the list, because I do not have it.

Offline wildekek

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2023, 07:56:33 pm »
Hi Sunkmail. First, thank you so much for creating your excellent manual.
I hope you don't mind I mirrored your manual to Git, so it is easier for people to find and receive updates.
https://github.com/wildekek/rdtech-firmware-unisoft

I 'm contemplating the idea of converting the doc to a Git Wiki, so it is easier to maintain. Would you be up for that?

I created an integration with ESPHome and Home Assistant for the RD6006 and I wanted to make it easy for people to find the software and docs.
https://github.com/wildekek/rdtech-esphome

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 09:51:11 am by wildekek »

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2023, 01:25:35 am »
Hi Wildekek,

I don't don't mind mirroring the document at all - The more the better.

I think we've gotten the manual mature enough that I'm comfortable with the idea of opening up the maintenance. 
       I honestly haven't used github for anything close to it's full potential.   :-//

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2023, 01:28:34 am »
I'm Happy to announce the Manual has been updated to the newest firmware released earlier today (or yesterday, depending on your timezone ;))

Special thanks to bateau020 for being on top of this!

Offline krby

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2024, 03:41:47 pm »
Nitpick:

On page 4 in the Introduction paragraph. It says:
Ruideng has done a good job of documenting their power supplies and postscript files can be
found at this url (note: http rather than https)

That URL has PDF files, not postscript. As I said, it's a nitpick, but there is a difference. I expect most people will be more familiar with PDF.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf