Author Topic: Damaged HP 6060B - Worth a punt?  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Chet T16Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
Damaged HP 6060B - Worth a punt?
« on: May 01, 2013, 04:09:59 pm »
I see a damaged HP 6060B for sale near me, it says "needs repair or can be used for parts. The two transformers are broken off the unit."

Pics:

Its up for €100, is it worth taking a chance on? Seems like strange damage, dropped maybe?

Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Damaged HP 6060B - Worth a punt?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 04:27:47 pm »
With enough bodge wires, any PCB problems can be overcome.  It's difficult to tell from the pictures if the transformer is repairable or not, that's the kicker.  I'd imagine you'd have to get one from another parts unit, and then you may be better off fixing that one.

I dug a clock radio out of the trash can at university about 22 years ago - someone must have thrown it.  The transformer was ripped off the board and damaged.  I was able to epoxy the transformer together and solder paper clips to the windings to make new leads.  I can't believe I was able to repair it, but it worked for 20 years after that.  I left it at my parents home and my mom got tired of looking at it (it was missing knobs, was badly scratched, etc) so she threw it away.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 04:29:42 pm »
i'll bought it if i were you.
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 04:31:10 pm »
Dropped for sure, but easily fixable. Just going to need to remove the busted formers, make up a set of short leads to do the connections and bridge any broken traces. Offer a lower price, 60-80 Euro's will be worth the risk, possibly even the full price. Just check the display is not broken, and that otherwise it looks intact.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 04:45:32 pm »
A quick look at the service manual doesn't give any useful info on the transformers, i didn't consider they might be specific to it.

I'll have to ask for more pics I think

Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 04:58:14 pm »
Just in case you've never bought anything on Adverts.ie, you can haggle. I would try a lowball offer.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 05:34:11 pm »
Just in case you've never bought anything on Adverts.ie, you can haggle. I would try a lowball offer.

I have, its an annoyance really as sellers bump up asking prices as you always get offers for half the asking price. I still prefer it to donedeal though!
Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 06:25:27 pm »
yeah, i know.

i everytime buy things at half the original price  O0
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf