Author Topic: DER EE DE5000 short calibration  (Read 466 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ermionesrlTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 30
  • Country: it
DER EE DE5000 short calibration
« on: August 11, 2026, 04:35:11 pm »
Hello Everyone.

I just bought a DER EE DE5000 to have a spare (my main LCR is a Tonghui TH2821B) and I have a question.
Even immediately after short calibration, Rs and Rp don't read zero but about 0.050 (depending on frequency). DCR is better, reading about 0.01.
As I understand, it's inside specs for 20 ohm scale (1% means it could read 0.2 and still be in spec) but it's unexpected.

Someone has it and can see if it's normal? If it's defective, I should return it, if it's normal, probably it will go for sale...
 

Offline mawyatt

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 6128
  • Country: us
Re: DER EE DE5000 short calibration
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2026, 05:37:31 pm »
That seems high. Our DE-5000 using the TL-21 fixture shows much lower at all frequencies. However, if you don't do a proper Short Cal the results are similar to what you see.

Try repeating the Short Cal again.

Best
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~
 

Offline ermionesrlTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 30
  • Country: it
Re: DER EE DE5000 short calibration
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2026, 08:50:10 am »
Hello and thank you for your reply.

...I repeated calibration many times, shorting alligator clips by themselves or shorting them with a conductive bar. Same result. DCR arrive to 0.00/0.01, that's normal (but not useful for me as I have much better instruments for DCR), while Rs and Rp only to 0.040/0.041.

It's curious for me to see an instrument that doesn't show "about zero" even without touching anything immediately after zero calibration.
My TH2821B zero completely and it's then possible to measure hundreds of ohm (like different length of PCB traces), even if not precisely.
With the DE5000 it's impossible.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->