Author Topic: DG4162 csv format?  (Read 9349 times)

Offline benstTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
DG4162 csv format?
« on: March 10, 2013, 02:34:28 pm »
Hi,

First post here, but been lurking for a while.

I want to read a .csv file (made by an Agilent MSO-X 3000 series scope if that matters) into a Rigol DG4162 arb wave gen. I've tried changing the format in various ways, editing it on my pc, etc, but every time when I try to read it, the DG4162 gives an error message: "Please select a valid file". Problem is, nowhere is documented what a valid csv file looks like. The DG can't save an arb waveform in csv format either, so I'm kinda stuck. If anybody has any idea what the correct csv format should be, I'd appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Ben
I hack for work and pleasure.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: DG4162 csv format?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:25:25 pm »
Try to get your hands on a csv file that works for the DG4162. Maybe you can generate one with the crooked Rigol Ultra Junk software. Then reverse engineer that csv file to understand how it is build. Also reverse engineer the Agilent csv file, or better yet, check Agilent's documentation. Devise a strategy to convert one into the other, implement some software to do the conversion.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 03:28:37 pm »
The DG4000 series can't read CSV directly, only RAF which is Rigol's own proprietary format.

You need Rigol's File Convert tool which you should be able to obtain from your distributor. This can read CSV as well as various other text and binary formats, and converts them to RAF. (Select the DG5000 format, it's compatible).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:40:30 pm »
Ok, Andy, thanks for the information!

That is kind of at odds with what is implied in the user manual:
Csv File
Read the csv files in external memory. The instrument will enter the interface automatically when the “Read” operation is finished. The arbitrary waveform is stored in volatile memory.
I've also sent an email to the local distributor, but I was hoping to get on with this project today.

B@W: wish I could find a working csv file. Looked around, no luck. And as I said, I already tried various permutations of the file. It won't even read a file with just a few numbers on consecutive lines.

Kind regards,
Ben

alm

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:10:48 pm »
Two things I would try is export to CSV from UltraScope (assuming it works without a Rigol scope connected) or export from Tektronix ArbExpress. Rigol have been relying on this freely available software to make up for its own poor software in the past.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 06:01:14 pm »
Sorry, you're quite right, I've just checked my DG4062 and it does indeed claim to be able to read CSV and TXT files - but it won't even accept a very simple CSV that I created last week and successfully converted into .RAF using the File Convert tool.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 08:35:29 pm »
Did you see this on the Rigol site - DG4 Programming from EXCEL

This program allows you to edit and download a Column of Data from EXCEL to the DG4 Works with EXCEL 2010
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-017e/0/-/-/-/-/file.zip

Maybe it can be used to load the csv entries

Via here (select the software tab)
http://www.eu.rigolna.com/products/waveform-generators/dg4000/

/Bingo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:12:49 pm »
Thanks for all the tips, still looking into it.

ArbExpress has some silly export restriction, so I haven't got it yet. Tried installing the Rigol wave ultra-something software again but it failed installing .net 2. Which is probably correct because it was already installed, but it won't start anyway...

The Ultrascope s/w did install but couldn't export anything w/o some actual scope to get input data.

I'll have a look at that excel method, thanks.

Kind regards,
Ben

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:13:42 pm »
Oh, and no news from the distributor yet although I mentioned I was in a hurry...

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 05:14:48 pm »
Hello,

I use from Rigol the software Ultra station, to create waveforms, in raf, txt or csv files.

http://int.rigol.com/prodserv/Waveform%20Generators/software/

If you use Ultra Sigma, you can also download it directly to the DG4000
If saved on a stick, raf files loads direct, but csv files will load, but no clou where it
is stored in the DG 4000, can find it back.

I will attach a raf and csv file, so you can try.

** edit, removed the attached files, because it was wrong, see later posts for the correct CSV file ***
** left the RAF file to compare the files.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:46:22 pm by Wim13 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 10:34:16 am »
Hi Wim, thanks for that upload. The raf file loads fine, but the csv file just gives me a horizontal line. No error though. Did you try reading the csv file back?

I have also got a response from the local distributor, but have not been able to get it to work yet. I have installed the ultrasigma/station software, but it is very flakey. Sometimes the DG keeps on disconnecting/connecting. (Maybe a problem to do with the fact that I run it under vmware.) I'll have to dig up a pc with windows.

Tek's arbexpress didn't produce a valid file, so no luck there.

Kind regards,
Ben

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 02:38:15 pm »
Hi Wim, I noticed in your csv file that it used a comma for the decimal point. So I changed my DG to use a comma for decimal point too (Utility->System->Number format), but no luck. Next I changed all the decimal points with an actual '.' in your file, and now I finally can read the file! Odd that the Ultrastation software generates a file (probably based on local windows settings?) with a decimal point that the DG then cannot parse...

Pfew.... thanks all for the help, I think this is solved.

Kind regards,
Ben

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 03:29:18 pm »
If the number format is specified as having a decimal comma, the separator shoud be a ;
If the number format is having a decimal point then the separator is a comma. (Comma Separated Values)
So I'm not sure how Wim created that file but it has both the decimal indicator and the separator as a comma, that will never work.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 06:56:17 pm »
Hi all,

The file was created by the Rigol software: Ultra Station

in Ultra Station you can save your creation in 3 formats, csv  raf and txt.
So i just used the software nothing else.... so complains to Rigol...hi hi

For those who want the correct file .., i attach a working CSV file...

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:03:34 pm by Wim13 »

The following users thanked this post: RonFred2

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 03:17:59 am »
Just wanted to post that Rigol did provide a specification of the Arb. Wave Gen format across the DG1000/4000/5000 series.  It was written in Jan 2015 but probably came out much later than that.  I just found it when looking for info on the .RAF file format and though this thread is many years old, it's still searchable and has relevant information, so I thought it's worthwhile to reply and upload the document here. 

The document includes info on the TXT and CSV format in addition to RAF.  See attachment.

Sparky

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, RonFred2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 01:39:18 pm »
Thanks! Always useful.

Ben

Offline RonFred2

• Contributor
    • Biophysics Lab
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2022, 08:32:07 pm »
I was able to download and use your DG4000.csv file in my Rigol DG4062. The DG4062 is very picky about USB sticks. Only some work. The wave generated from the CSV file has some jitter but was easily removed using HF Filter on my scope's trigger, or by using the burst mode for output on my WFG.  I am attaching a photo of my setup and my working USB memory stick.

Thank you Win13.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 08:35:43 pm by RonFred2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf