Author Topic: Does a component-level flying probe exist  (Read 2020 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline matviyTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: us
Does a component-level flying probe exist
« on: September 17, 2019, 01:03:09 am »
I'm working on finding defects in RMA'd PCB boards. I have the schematics and board views for all boards, and I also have "gold" versions of all the PCB boards.

To speed up the process, I would like to have a flying probe that can probe each side of individual components already on the board on (like resistors/capacitors) and measure the resistance to ground. I could do this on the gold boards to find the expected resistance values, save them, and then do it on defective boards to try to narrow down the failing area. This would help speed up my process immensely.

Does such a machine exist? I know flying probes exist, but afaik they test pre-defined test points that are made large enough for them, not individual components. I need to probe every component on these boards.
 

Offline tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31975
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Does a component-level flying probe exist
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 01:35:08 am »
Welcome to the forum.

To check ground continuity for both pads in a passive I'd use the cheap SMD tweezers with both tips into one terminal of a DMM and the other DMM lead on circuit ground.
Any DMM with an audible Continuity test could be used for this.
eBay example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-Test-Clip-Meter-Probe-Multimeter-Tweezer-for-Resistor-Multimeter-Capacitor/401805580037?hash=item5d8d7a9705:g:klMAAOSwuZ9cRaO-

I find SMD Smart tweezers incredibly useful for checking components as it's a one handed operation.
There are a couple of good quality brands available that guys that do SMD stuff all recommend.
https://www.lcrresearch.com/pro1/
http://www.smarttweezers.com/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline Fire Doger

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 288
  • Country: gr
  • Stefanos
Re: Does a component-level flying probe exist
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 05:32:56 am »
Welcome to the forum.

To check ground continuity for both pads in a passive I'd use the cheap SMD tweezers with both tips into one terminal of a DMM and the other DMM lead on circuit ground.
Any DMM with an audible Continuity test could be used for this.
eBay example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-Test-Clip-Meter-Probe-Multimeter-Tweezer-for-Resistor-Multimeter-Capacitor/401805580037?hash=item5d8d7a9705:g:klMAAOSwuZ9cRaO-

I find SMD Smart tweezers incredibly useful for checking components as it's a one handed operation.
There are a couple of good quality brands available that guys that do SMD stuff all recommend.
https://www.lcrresearch.com/pro1/
http://www.smarttweezers.com/
He is looking for "Flying probe". Good luck testing 2k connections with smd tweezers in exact order and compare them with spreadsheet.... :-//

 
The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline nctnico

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 30232
  • Country: nl
    • NCT Developments
Re: Does a component-level flying probe exist
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 12:13:49 pm »
I'm working on finding defects in RMA'd PCB boards. I have the schematics and board views for all boards, and I also have "gold" versions of all the PCB boards.

To speed up the process, I would like to have a flying probe that can probe each side of individual components already on the board on (like resistors/capacitors) and measure the resistance to ground. I could do this on the gold boards to find the expected resistance values, save them, and then do it on defective boards to try to narrow down the failing area. This would help speed up my process immensely.

Does such a machine exist? I know flying probes exist, but afaik they test pre-defined test points that are made large enough for them, not individual components. I need to probe every component on these boards.
I think this is the wrong approach. From my experience failures often have a limited number of causes. I'd sort the boards based on the type of defect first. If you find the problem on one board, you can do the same repair on all the other boards with the same symptoms. This way you can probably fix 80% to 90% of all the boards quickly. Also do some math on what kind of production failure rate you are looking at. If the failure rate is below 1% it is probably more sensible to just scrap the boards.

Testing all components is pretty much useless. Unless components are under a lot of thermal or mechanical stress they are very unlikely to fail.

If you have random defects then you are likely dealing with a problem in the production process (most likely soldering or temperature too high). Reflowing the entire board could be a solution if the solder joints are bad but the root cause needs to be fixed as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:41:28 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.
 

Offline ogden

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3731
  • Country: lv
Re: Does a component-level flying probe exist
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 12:26:26 pm »
I think this is the wrong approach.

Actually looking for flying probe just to test failed boards does not make any sense. If volume of failed boards is so huge that you need automated testing, then why don't you use same automated testing which you supposedly are using in the manufacturing process? If you manufacture boards w/o flying probe tester then you don't need it to fix them.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->