Author Topic: Does anyone make such a power supply  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Bill GTopic starter

Does anyone make such a power supply
« on: September 19, 2021, 06:59:05 pm »
Hi all, I work mainly on heavy equipment (dozers, scrapers, cranes, etc.) and over the past decades the technology has changed like everything else. Most have some type of actuators and valves and anything else they can figure out how to put in the mix. Some are just basic dc controls where others are pwm and other schemes. My largest problem is being able to test some of the devices without just going the parts changer route. Awhile back I put together a simple box with a variable dc-dc pwm buck boost power supply and a high current supply for heavier devices. The problem is that the pwm supply runs at 15 khz which is way above the spec (-1 khz) for many devices. I have been thinking about modifying the power supply and limiting it to 300 hz which i believe would satisfy most specs. But on second thought (dangerous I know) maybe finding a variable frequency and variable pwm supply would be better. The max current for the supply is 4 amp which I have never reached and all of the machines are 12 or 24 volt. I have not been able to locate anything that will allow me to vary the pulse width and frequency, only one or the other. My device will operate from 12-24 vdc, simply because most work is done somewhere without ac power and I don't want to go the inverter and extension cord route. With the amount of wiring and connectors associated with many of these controls taking them apart just to check can open another can of worms. Thanks for ANY suggestions or where to maybe locate such.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Does anyone make such a power supply
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 07:44:43 pm »
https://www.star-cooperation.com/en/expertise/electronics/products/sensoractuator-technology/signal-generators/flexgen-m-pwm/

https://www.microtronics.it/lang4/maximumtest_diagnose_sensoren_aktuatoren.html

http://www.lab-tools.cz/

Those are the ones I know of. The remainder are either power drivers / bridge drivers scabbed onto some function generator or pulse generator or modules for more complex hardware-in-the-loop or production test systems. Those don't offer you a standalone capability as they have no integrated user interface and often do require programming.

An example of the latter:
https://www.kratzer-automation.com/testsystems/en/test-bench-solutions/turbocharger/pwm-generator/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:16:32 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 02:18:24 am »
Thank you for the links. The ones that most interest me (first two) as far as usability were unsuccessful. I guess that I am either not a customer they would be interested in or maybe the device is no longer made. But i would think that at least a courtesy email explaining their position would be the least they could do. Thanks again for your effort.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 09:29:29 am »
Maybe one of the new SPS5000X PSU's will suit your requirements.
From the datasheet:
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/document/SPS5000X_DataSheet-E01F.pdf

By editing the single-step setting value, duration, and slew rate, the List function can generate multiple complex sequences to meet complex test requirements. The user can edit the sequence by 50 steps natively or import the List sequence file via USB for multi-step running.
The minimum precision of delay time is 1ms. The minimum running time is 1 second.

Too slow ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 03:58:53 pm »
Thank you for the links. The ones that most interest me (first two) as far as usability were unsuccessful. I guess that I am either not a customer they would be interested in or maybe the device is no longer made. But i would think that at least a courtesy email explaining their position would be the least they could do. Thanks again for your effort.
Hi, as the first company is located close to me, would you like me to contact them? Maybe they have an U.S. representative or whatever I can find out!

The following users thanked this post: Bill G

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 04:54:04 pm »
That would be appreciated, I did contact the US distributor but received no reply. Thank you

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 07:02:05 pm »
Hi, as the first company is located close to me, would you like me to contact them? Maybe they have an U.S. representative or whatever I can find out!
They did get back to me with a quote. Evidently their sales dept. here (US) does not have the ability to carry out simple tasks. Thanks again.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 05:13:30 pm »
Thank you Neomys Sapiens, I received an email stating it would ship yesterday 11/20/2021. Now we shall see how well the shipper handles it. Thanks again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf