Author Topic: DTL150 electronic load - anyone tried one?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline HwAoRrDkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
DTL150 electronic load - anyone tried one?
« on: April 04, 2023, 11:24:09 am »
I've been considering buying one those cheap electronic loads that you can find on Amazon/eBay/AliExpress. One model that seems to be fairly ubiquitous right now is the DTL150. It appears to be fairly new, as I can't find much in the way of reviews or teardowns, etc. Best I could find was one video review on YouTube which wasn't particularly in-depth. Seems to be the new DL24, as there are loads of vendors on AliExpress.

Comes in two variants: an 'upgraded' version with a larger screen (2.4"), an external temperature sensor, and a cosmetic faceplate; a 'basic' one with a smaller screen (1.7"), no temp sensor input, no faceplate. I don't know whether the software on the basic one is the same, because the the upgrade version looks fancier. Both have 4-wire measurement.

Some of the criticism I've heard of these kind of units is that the specs are overblown, but that doesn't concern me too much as I don't have any requirement for anything more than half the claimed rating of 150W. (I mean, you just have to look at the PC heatsink and fan these things use - those aren't suitable for a 150W TDP CPU, so why would it provide enough cooling for 150W in this application?) If I assume the specs are bogus and de-rate by half, the only other thing that looks dodgy to me is the supplied 12V adapter, but seeing as (at least on AliExpress) they only come with US/EU plugs, I couldn't use it anyway. I suspect the 12V supply is only used directly to power the fan, and is otherwise regulated down, so any other PSU of approx. 12V will no doubt do the job.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: DTL150 electronic load - anyone tried one?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 10:02:15 pm »
If you are running it under <80W and you don't get unlucky with fake FETs, might be OK.
DTL150 ($36): https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805031954241.html

The newer Atorch units are using 4 FETs, this DTL150 is just the one FET.
I don't know for $10 more I would probably just go with the Atorch. Unless there is something about the UI you prefer, or some other aspect listed.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/cheezeball-dc-load-dl24p-pump-or-dump/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-dl24ew-and-dl150w-load-testers-from-atorch/
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline HwAoRrDkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 12:18:43 pm »
Heh, this is amusing. I've found that all the sellers listing the DTL150 on eBay UK - and not just the UK stockists, but direct-shippers from China - are for some reason selling it for double the price of AliExpress (inc. shipping) and all you get extra for your money is one of those awful "death-dapter" universal mains plug adapters thrown in. Gee, thanks, what a great deal! I pay you more and you give me nothing but a chance to electrocute myself. :-DD

The newer Atorch units are using 4 FETs, this DTL150 is just the one FET.
I don't know for $10 more I would probably just go with the Atorch. Unless there is something about the UI you prefer, or some other aspect listed.

Question is, which DL24? There seem to be a plethora of different models. The newer ones (including those apparently sold directly by Atorch) are even essentially just like the DTL150 and appear to have a single MOSFET, same heatsink/fan, similar colour screen and interface, but with the additional of Bluetooth (e.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001153199791.html).

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Dave_g8

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 07:19:56 pm »
Hi, Does anyone have any idea if it is possible to use the serial interface on the DTL150 for control and monitoring?

I have tried using the protocol messages for the PX-100, but there is no actions or response from the DTL150.

Regards, Dave

Offline yesilu

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2024, 07:50:01 am »
i tested it 30V 4A 10min. temp max increase 52 C and not problem. it has a software bug, in CR mode set 10R 30V it over power protection triggered. except CC mode, calculated power is wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf