Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread  (Read 779944 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

The following users thanked this post: cmumford

Offline SeoulBigChris

• Regular Contributor
  • "Unencumbered by the thought process"
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #1901 on: December 15, 2021, 10:06:36 pm »
I really like my 121GW, but there is one annoying thing - using it with the bail is a bit unstable. Has anyone come up with an alternative solution, perhaps something we could 3D print? It the bail was a little bit wider, I think it would go a long way for improving the (mechanical) stability.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1902 on: December 15, 2021, 10:18:37 pm »
A tilting bail with a handheld meter is never really stable because of the limited weight - so maybe it works with a 1960's military one that weighs in at > 2 kg. It is more like a compromise that works as long as one does not move the probes / cables. In some cases a coffey mug to put the bail part in can work for extra stability.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #1903 on: December 15, 2021, 11:29:53 pm »
I really like my 121GW, but there is one annoying thing - using it with the bail is a bit unstable. Has anyone come up with an alternative solution, perhaps something we could 3D print? It the bail was a little bit wider, I think it would go a long way for improving the (mechanical) stability.

Here are a couple of options in regards to an improved stand on the 121GW.   :-DMM

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-121gw-discussion-thread/msg2455755/#msg2455755

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-121gw-bench-stand-(3d-printed)/msg2689518/#msg2689518

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #1904 on: December 16, 2021, 03:26:46 am »

Or you could always print these hanger options too in either magnetic or strap versions. On the bench the meter seems ok to me but wider is better, in the field for me at least the magnetic one works great for sticking on enclosures or equipment.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-121gw-discussion-thread/msg2479518/#msg2479518

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-121gw-discussion-thread/msg2479284/#msg2479284
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline SeoulBigChris

• Regular Contributor
  • "Unencumbered by the thought process"
« Reply #1905 on: December 16, 2021, 07:48:48 am »
Thanks for those links. I hadn’t thought about magnetic mount - I like that. I also really need a better 2nd meter, and put a BM786 on order today.

Offline v81

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1906 on: January 27, 2022, 11:29:02 am »
Terribly minor issue, and not worth a thread.
The left hand side (from rear of board) of the 400ma fuse mount is the wrong way around.
Just thought I'd mention it in case Dave wanted to shoot a note upstream.
1393127-0

Going to have to send it back for repair... wouldn't want to void the warranty....
.... Oh.. hang on, EEVblog has no issues with competent self repair.

There was a reason I wanted this!

Great unit Dave, very happy, attention to detail is excellent.
AAs instead of 9v
Captive screws
Metal inserts
Actual HRC fuses unlike the 250v glass/air fuses in my 1000V CATIV rated UniT
 :-DMM   <-- can we get an emote with a blue housing around the multimeter?

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, thm_w

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1907 on: January 27, 2022, 05:12:18 pm »
v81,
Since this may become an issue I'll start.  SN EEVBlog 001421 is ok.

Even with its little quirks its a great meter and I'd buy again.

FYI after a few years of testing NiMH batteries I have settled on recharge at 5.0V displayed.  This has consistently provided 4-5 month intervals with more use than my wife would like to see.   (I've lately been logging my refrigerator and freezer temperatures  ^-^ )

Offline v81

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1908 on: January 29, 2022, 04:56:12 am »
v81,
Since this may become an issue I'll start.  SN EEVBlog 001421 is ok.

There were 2 x 121GW's in the order, have checked the second one since my last post and it's OK.
Could be just a one off.

Does this have issues using the full or at least close to the full capacity of NiMH cells?
Wonder if there would be any value in doing a 2x 14500 Lithium ion powered multimeter? Rechargeable and more voltage to play with at the same time.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1909 on: January 29, 2022, 05:46:16 am »
The issue isn't the full capacity of NiMH which only manage to get to about 5.9V with the four in series immediately after charging.  Within a few days it drops to approx 5.5 volts, then gradually drops to 5V over ~4 months of use.  The meter will continue to work properly below 5V but that isn't good for the NiMH to go much below 1.25V assuming they are all even and I remember to check them.

Earlier in this thread people talk about mods or not for Li-whatever.  They have the high side issue.  I don't think their worth the cost or hassle.

Offline v81

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1910 on: January 29, 2022, 09:30:48 am »
Right, i had the impression the meter might not be able to use all of the useful capacity of the NiMH.

Sounds now more of a concern for over discharge.

An alternative firmware with an alert or shutdown for 4.8v might be nice.

Offline zega

« Reply #1911 on: February 09, 2022, 06:08:46 pm »
How about little feature for next FW update?
VCO!
Many times i was not able to look at screen but need to tune something to the maximum value without being able to look at the screen!
So to have piezo inside multimeter producing sound that would change frequency with value change (i .e. voltage goes up, frequency as tone pitch goes up)
That way you can hook up multimeter to measure certain value, and while you are away, multimeter produces tone that pitches up or down while you are adjusting something, also resetting with delta function can set "new start" or create baseline pitch that will be your baseline (440Hz? idk).
Basically Like voltage controlled oscillator (VCO)!
It would be best to tie that to fast barograph display, or what I'm trying to say, the faster the better!
What is the opinion on this one? :popcorn:

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1912 on: February 12, 2022, 06:03:47 pm »
How about little feature for next FW update?
VCO!
Many times i was not able to look at screen but need to tune something to the maximum value without being able to look at the screen!
So to have piezo inside multimeter producing sound that would change frequency with value change (i .e. voltage goes up, frequency as tone pitch goes up)
That way you can hook up multimeter to measure certain value, and while you are away, multimeter produces tone that pitches up or down while you are adjusting something, also resetting with delta function can set "new start" or create baseline pitch that will be your baseline (440Hz? idk).
Basically Like voltage controlled oscillator (VCO)!
It would be best to tie that to fast barograph display, or what I'm trying to say, the faster the better!
What is the opinion on this one? :popcorn:

nah...the thing that needs real fixing here is the bug on VA mode bargraph...whenever i switch the measurement range and switch to VA mode, the bargraph scale on VA mode just won't change at all and it really annoys me whenever i use VA mode for measuring things :-//

Offline BrianG61UK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1913 on: February 26, 2022, 09:46:28 pm »
The issue isn't the full capacity of NiMH which only manage to get to about 5.9V with the four in series immediately after charging.  Within a few days it drops to approx 5.5 volts, then gradually drops to 5V over ~4 months of use.  The meter will continue to work properly below 5V but that isn't good for the NiMH to go much below 1.25V assuming they are all even and I remember to check them.

Earlier in this thread people talk about mods or not for Li-whatever.  They have the high side issue.  I don't think their worth the cost or hassle.

All Ni-MH I've ever seen are rated as 1.2V.
Going below 1.25V is not a problem for them.
The normal end of life is around 1 to 1.1v.
My understanding is that going lower is also not much of a problem as long as you don't let them go below zero.

Offline Ziginox

• Contributor
« Reply #1914 on: April 19, 2022, 08:55:09 pm »
Thanks, I will have a look at that video shortly.   :)

I just found this video on Youtube where someone has created a splendid addition to the tilt stand on the 121GW meter.   :-/O   

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3666409        :-+

Pardon if it has been answered, but does anybody know what the hole in the bail was originally designed for? I see that 121GW's cousin, the Klein MM2000, also has it. Klein's website, however, doesn't mention any accessories that fit there.

I received mine last week (here in New Potatoland, USA) from Welectron in Germany, it only took a week to get here! Loving it so far, especially the internal logging.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline Ziginox

• Contributor
« Reply #1915 on: July 08, 2022, 03:20:58 pm »
Ran into a small issue with my unit, or rather the bag I purchased alongside it. The stitching along the lower edge of the front came apart for no apparent reason. It seems like the fabric panel that makes up the front was cut too short, and the stitching simply pulled out of the weave. I tried emailing the store support email listed on the EEVBlog contact page a month back, but never received a reply. I purchased from Welectron, is this something I'd have to reach out to them for, instead?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1916 on: July 09, 2022, 06:03:00 am »
Ran into a small issue with my unit, or rather the bag I purchased alongside it. The stitching along the lower edge of the front came apart for no apparent reason. It seems like the fabric panel that makes up the front was cut too short, and the stitching simply pulled out of the weave. I tried emailing the store support email listed on the EEVBlog contact page a month back, but never received a reply. I purchased from Welectron, is this something I'd have to reach out to them for, instead?

Yes, you'll have to talk to Welectron. I do not sell the case, nor do I provide the meters to Welectron, they order directly from Kane Test.

Offline Ziginox

• Contributor
« Reply #1917 on: July 09, 2022, 07:42:54 am »
Yes, you'll have to talk to Welectron. I do not sell the case, nor do I provide the meters to Welectron, they order directly from Kane Test.

Much appreciated, Dave! I'll reach out to them and see what they say.

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1918 on: July 24, 2022, 05:18:48 pm »
Hi all,
Regarding the firmware update procedure for the 121GW.
I have read the words in the manual but am still unsure of the exact procedure.
So, do I need an additional SD card to the one installed in the meter to load the new firmware?  What capacity SD card?  There is no mention of this in the manual.
My laptop does not have an MSD card slot, so how do I install the file on the card?

I realise these questions may induce a groan from the seasoned tech vets on here but I am just not very familiar with this stuff ???
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1919 on: July 24, 2022, 06:23:18 pm »

groan from the seasoned tech vets

I wonder how they look back at the skeletons in the cupboard - as still very much a beginner, I know I shudder.

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline Ziginox

• Contributor
« Reply #1920 on: July 25, 2022, 05:15:26 am »
Hi all,
Regarding the firmware update procedure for the 121GW.
I have read the words in the manual but am still unsure of the exact procedure.
So, do I need an additional SD card to the one installed in the meter to load the new firmware?  What capacity SD card?  There is no mention of this in the manual.
My laptop does not have an MSD card slot, so how do I install the file on the card?

I realise these questions may induce a groan from the seasoned tech vets on here but I am just not very familiar with this stuff ???

You can use the included microSD card. You just drop the file onto the card and name it "EEVblog.bin".  Pop the card back in the meter, push and hold the "HOLD" and "MEM" buttons while powering it on, then push the "SETUP" button. You can get the update file on the product page, if you click "Firmware" on the left side, under the picture of the meter https://www.eevblog.com/product/121gw/
As for getting the file onto the card, if your laptop has a full-size SD slot you'll just need a microSD to SD adapter. They come with just about every microSD card sold these days. If your laptop doesn't have that, you'll need a USB SD and/or microSD card reader. Just like you'd use for a camera. It shows up as a removable disk. Just drag'n'drop!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 05:25:13 am by Ziginox »

Offline Ziginox

• Contributor
« Reply #1921 on: July 25, 2022, 05:20:05 am »

Much appreciated, Dave! I'll reach out to them and see what they say.

Sorry for the double post, but an update on this: Welectron issued a refund for it, hopefully I should see it hit my account soon!

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #1922 on: July 25, 2022, 05:22:30 am »
EEVblog.bin not EEVBlog.bin when you rename it.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline matemathieu

• Contributor
« Reply #1923 on: August 05, 2022, 01:12:30 pm »
Hi,

I found it is not possible to report an issue on the store page here:
https://www.eevblog.com/product/121gw/

Hence have an issue to report.
According to the current version of the manual, the thermocouple reading cannot be calibrated.

One simple way of doing it is to use boiling/freezing water.
Capture the max temp when you put a K-type probe into your home boiler, make sure it does not touch the bottom where the heater is and you have the first point.
Water with ice would be the second one. Put water with lots of ice, wait. Make sure the probe end-tip does not touch the ice and capture the lowest value.

Is that a good idea?
Best

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1924 on: August 05, 2022, 04:42:42 pm »
How long does the 121GW take to load a new update, and how do you know when it has?  Asking because I've just loaded the latest update onto a new high speed 68 gig SD card and it doesn't seem to have done anything in just under an hour!  All the display is showing is IAP in the top left and down on the main display line.
I did everything according to the manual and advice above.
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf