Author Topic: "Fake" AIM TTi Power Supplies?  (Read 4461 times)

Offline donotdespisethesnakeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
"Fake" AIM TTi Power Supplies?
« on: February 02, 2019, 02:06:26 pm »
Is it known for "fake" AIM-TTi PSUs to be on the market? In particular, I bought a PSU off ebay which claimed to be EX355P, but the received item is clearly not a 35V/5A PSU. It is 20V/2A. It looks like someone has taken the box from a EX355P and put the board for a EL302 in it. Perhaps there was a legit reason, eg two faulty units combined to one working unit. The seals are broken and there is a screw missing, clearly someone has had the box open.

However, the EL303P is clearly inferior spec to an EX355P, and putting it in the wrong box significantly enhances the value for the seller.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: "Fake" AIM TTi Power Supplies?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 02:12:53 pm »
Put a claim to eBay for "I received an item that wasn't as described" and let them resolve it for you, you might get a full refund and get to keep the unit or you may have to return and get a refund.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 02:13:57 pm »
Not heard of any fakes like that. I expect it is somebody combining faulty units.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 02:36:35 pm »
Either way, it is not a 35V 5A device but a 30V 2A unit which is considerably less expensive so the buyer does need to whack a claim into Ebay and pronto.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 03:27:19 pm »
I thought I would give the seller a chance to respond first, it could be a genuine mistake...
Bob

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 03:38:33 pm »
It could be simply sticker on the front panel replaced or wrong from the factory. Or just a wrong firmware loaded. IMO there is possibility to be manufacturing fackup.

Offline w4tch0

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 03:38:57 pm »
Did you have a look inside?

The EX and EL series are fundamentally very different PSU's. The EL is a fully linear PSU with a chunky transformator inside where the EX is an "mixed regulation" PSU which uses high frequency switch-mode pre-regulation with linear post-regulation. I find it pretty hard to accidentally mix the internals for these two.  Unless the front panel control boards are interchangeable and they put a EL control board limited to 30V/2A into an EX. Even then, from my experience the boards are usually clearly marked with a sticker labeled with model name for which they are suited.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:47:50 pm by w4tch0 »

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 03:47:06 pm »
It could be simply sticker on the front panel replaced or wrong from the factory. Or just a wrong firmware loaded. IMO there is possibility to be manufacturing fackup.

I guess having the wrong firmware is a possibility, or perhaps it has reset to defaults. The knobs are encoders, so I guess the PSU has firmware and non-volatile storage to remember the previous settings.

Surely though, if the previous owner "has used in workshop for several years" as claimed, they would have noticed that the PSU is not a 35V/5A? First thing I do is check the limits...

It also seems odd that the seller has sold several of these over the past few months.

I'll get some internal pics.
Bob

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 04:21:25 pm »
Given it is a programmable unit, could you hook the serial connection up and issue a *IDN? command? That should return the model number etc. *RST will also reset to defaults.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 09:39:21 pm »
Write down the serial number and write a mail at TTi providing it and asking for details.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 12:51:13 am »
Write down the serial number and write a mail at TTi providing it and asking for details.
...or even give them a call (given you appear to be UK based) - they were quite helpful when I called up to get new binding posts for a TTi supply.

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 05:02:54 pm »
Given it is a programmable unit, could you hook the serial connection up and issue a *IDN? command? That should return the model number etc. *RST will also reset to defaults.

Good idea.. that returns "Thurlby Thandar,EL302P,0,v1.14" ! That seems to confirm my initial suspicion, it is a EL302P in a EX355P clothing. I don't see how that happens by accident, if you owned such a hybrid beast surely you would know about it?

Tomorrow I will contact TTi with the serial number, in the meantime I will raise an Ebay dispute. The seller has not responding to my message...
Bob

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 05:05:30 pm »
The info from *IDN? There does not seem to be any other info to get out of the unit, but it seems conclusive. There is a serial number on the rear as well as an RS order code.
Bob

Offline w4tch0

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 08:05:05 pm »
Those internals are not EL302 though. That layout is quite clearly a switching PSU and the stickers on the front panel control board also indicate that it is an EX355 (those yellowish/greenish and pink stickers are how the PCBs/components come marked out of factory).

So maybe incorrect firmware?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 08:09:20 pm by w4tch0 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 11:02:41 am »
This is quite possibly a fuck up by TTi. While most of their kit is spot on you occasionally get a really daft thing done. I’ve bought various bits of unused TTi kit that had clearly never worked due to a trivial issue but made it onto the market anyway.

Alternatively these are Frankensupplies put together from smashed other units.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 12:45:38 pm »
This is quite possibly a fuck up by TTi. While most of their kit is spot on you occasionally get a really daft thing done. I’ve bought various bits of unused TTi kit that had clearly never worked due to a trivial issue but made it onto the market anyway.

Alternatively these are Frankensupplies put together from smashed other units.
Surely not a fuckup by TTi?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 02:33:55 pm »
They’re based in the fens. Depends if they hired a yokel to stick the labels on or manage the warehouse...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 03:50:55 pm »
Ooh...Controversial......
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 03:52:13 pm »
Not really. I used to live out there  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 03:53:53 pm »
Hmm now let me guess...you used to work at TTi.... thats explains a lot  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:28 pm »
Not guilty on that front - just know a lot of people from around there :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 04:44:16 pm »
Would really have thought that a company of that size would almost certainly do 100% test of a product before sending out of the door, I mean those things are almost like rocking horse shit in their rarity, almost sort of handbuilt in a way.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 04:47:55 pm »
TTi are well known for shipping lemons. “Friday afternoon syndrome”. It’s usually related to the hand assembly steps.

Same thing happens to my software if I have a couple of beers too many on Friday lunch :D

Edit: original TTi stuff could usually be fixed by dropping it a couple of inches onto a table.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 04:57:07 pm »
Edit: original TTi stuff could usually be fixed by dropping it a couple of inches onto a table.
TTi following the well established traditions of all Sinclair electronics?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 06:06:47 pm »
Yes exactly that. There’s still some Sinclair in there after all the mergers and rebranding  :-DD

At least they learned how to solder eventually

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf