Author Topic: Flakey Vichy VC97 Multimeter... trash it or do you have the fix? Help  (Read 1738 times)

Offline wingryderTopic starter

Six months ago I bought this Vichy VC97 for cheap.  Used it a couple of times.. for my limited electronics testing it seemed fine.
got it out recently and it won't read the same voltage twice in a row.  Or zero out for ohm check the same way.

You can switch it on, measure a nine volt battery.. reads it fine.  Lift off the leads and right back on and it measures 0.
Same with ohms and diode function.  Place leads together expecting it to go to 0 and it still says OL.  Nice little meter but worthless if you are second guessing every reading.  I am guessing it is just an adjustment.. but which one?     I installed new batteries, I tried different test leads... acts just the same very very flakey.

It was only 20 bucks but.. still      (Even if you can't help me here... shoot me your favorite multimeter  40.00 to 80.00 range.)

thanks
wingryder

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
Re: Flakey Vichy VC97 Multimeter... trash it or do you have the fix? Help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 04:36:06 pm »
If you've already tried different probes, then it has to be a contact problem with the input connectors. Check the internal connection.
NOT an adjustment, for sure...

Offline Arhammon

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 07:33:24 pm »
Maybe you need just to clean rotary switch.

Offline wingryderTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 10:09:18 pm »
Well I guess it was just the test leads.  I found a third set in my junk box.. and with those the VC97 straightened right up.  Seems to be fine now.   However glad I found this little corner of the net.  I will be reading and asking in the future.

thanks
wingryer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf