Hi everyone!

I watched EEVBlog 1734 of the Uni-T UT892 2000V high voltage multimeter and Dave mentioned the Fluke 283FC.
I own a Fluke 283FC (and a Fluke a283FC), so I'd like to share a few photos of the input protection with you.
As a reminder, the 283FC is rated for CAT IV 1000V and CAT III 1000V AC and CAT III 1500V DC.
Let's have a look at photo 1 in the attachments.
In case anyone is wondering how the gas discharge tubes are connected, I have marked the two main traces on the inner layer of the PCB. There are a few more smaller traces that I haven't marked.
Photo 2:
You can see a custom multimeter chipset, as usual.
I think they used the same chipset as in the Fluke 3000FC and probably other models as well. Some Fluke models use an old-looking chipset and others use the one in the photo.
There is no additional true-rms converter chip here.
A TI MSP430F5438A is used as microcontroller. I was a little surprised here, because this one is in production since around 2010.
Okay, the MSP430 series is usually available on the market for a long time, but if we assume that Fluke wants to produce the 283FC for 20 years like other multimeter, the microcontroller must be available for 35 years (total) or Fluke have to redesign. Long Time...
Photo 3:
The flash memory is from GigaDevice.
Photo 4:
And an RTC from NXP, which is already listed as “end of life” on the manufacturer's website.

Photo 5 and 6:
An overview of the PCB.
I like that each button has its own LED. The Fluke 28 II (87 V Max) only has 2 LEDs for 8 buttons.
I hope you enjoyed my little insight into the Fluke 283FC.

Greetings from Germany!
- Philipp
