Author Topic: Fluke 287 Connectivity  (Read 5944 times)

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Fluke 287 Connectivity
« on: August 31, 2019, 05:38:48 pm »
I may be able to get a 287 at a reasonable price but it's missing the weird looking USB connector.  Can anyone tell me what I need to connect a 287 to a PC?  Also comments on the meter in general are welcomed.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Vaiti

• Contributor
Re: Fluke 287 Connectivity
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 05:47:40 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr, Marco1971

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 10:56:24 pm »
OK, I get it, RTFM.

But here's some questions:

1 Can I connect via BT or physical serial port?
2 If yes to 1, what are the settings?
3 What applications run on the PC?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:11:52 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:18:35 pm by MikeLud »

Offline mjkuwp

• Supporter
  • mechanical engineering defector
    • The Mz Lab
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 12:57:32 am »
The USB cable has a serial bridge chip (probably FTDI) in it that will create a virtual serial port so on Windows it will enumerate as COMn, for example COM3.  The communication type is human-readable text.  The way I use it is through a Python program but of course there are numerous ways depending what you want to do.

here is some documation about the interface cable.
https://sigrok.org/wiki/Device_cables#Fluke_IR189USB

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 01:05:12 am »
Some more info about the cable, in this case being applied to a 87IV (later rebranded as 187):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-87iv-please-whisper-in-my-ir-p/

I have a 289, and the meter itself is great. Have some problems, basically the battery consumption is very high compared with the 187/189, it's a little slower to start up compared with the 187/189. The screen could have a little more contrast, that makes it be hard to be seen in a angle in some roomlight configurations. For extra opinion about that series of equipments - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/annoyed-with-the-fluke-289/

Also the 287/289 and also the 187/189/87IV/89IV may have a problem with the super capacitor leaking, and not keeping the time and date when changing batteries or with abnormal consumption of said batteries.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/annoyed-with-the-fluke-289/msg1809107/#msg1809107
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-287-insatiable-appetite-for-power
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-287-super-cap-leak
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 01:20:10 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline Vaiti

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 06:25:03 am »
OK, I get it, RTFM.

Wasn't my intention, just a resource I found

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 10:07:06 am »
OK, I get it, RTFM.

Wasn't my intention, just a resource I found
Sorry, no offence intended - read the friendly manual right?

I was kidding but that doesn't work very well in forums.

Peace man.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 10:16:00 am »
Thanks for all the great info and links guys.  I looked at the picture of the IR189USB and it's an FTDI FT232RL chip with a pair of IR TX/RX diodes and a couple of transistors.  So I presume that the IR189USB cable clips onto the top of the meter and 'talks' via those IR diodes, I suppose it does achieve voltage isolation but that could have been done: a) wirelessly or b) using digital or optical isolators and $62 is expensive for what's in it.  It would be straightforward to make up a board that converts one of the ubiquitous USB-serial boards to IR and 3D print a matching housing which would almost certainly cost me $62 in time and parts.

I'll research the 287 issues.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 10:38:30 am »
Well I lost the bidding on a Fluke 287 which went for $137 + $10 shipping on eBay but I'm not that concerned as that particular one looked like it had been dragged through the mud and had no IR cable with it.

On reflection, I don't see that the 287 will do much more than the Agilent U1252B (with U1117A IR-Bluetooth adapter) that I already own and, from what I can see, I would have to buy the Fluke PC software but the Keysight Handheld Meter Logger Software is free.

I think one of the advantages of the Fluke is that it can sit unconnected for a day collecting data and display it in graphical form onscreen; can anyone expand on what the key differences are in capability?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 11:01:30 am »
For general metering I use both Fluke and Keysight meters but for logging my preference is for the Keysights. One thing my Fluke 189 and 289 do have that my Keysight meters don't is a real time clock and this can be handy for capturing time related events in stand alone mode. My applications and requirements often vary and accordingly so does my equipment.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 11:39:46 am »
On reflection, I don't see that the 287 will do much more than the Agilent U1252B (with U1117A IR-Bluetooth adapter) that I already own and, from what I can see, I would have to buy the Fluke PC software but the Keysight Handheld Meter Logger Software is free.

The software is easy found online. You just need the ISO of the original CD and then install the last update available on the website. There are no key to be inserted or any checks online with a server.

You can PM me if you want.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 12:59:41 pm »

I own both, 287 and U1252B+U1117A, they're just different.

For me the 287 is more like a handheld oscilloscope, rather than DMM, of course low speed scope but with high resolution capture.

Btw, the 287 physically is quite big, it feels exactly like holding a big brick, sizes comparison 87, 189 and 287.

While U1252 is definitely feels DMM and smaller, but be warned though, coupled with the U1117A made the DMM physically weird that is not that handy for all situation, especially at field work.

A U1252B with U1117A attached.

I think one of the advantages of the Fluke is that it can sit unconnected for a day collecting data and display it in graphical form onscreen; can anyone expand on what the key differences are in capability?

You're right, and this feature alone is really handy, no hassle and need to lug separate laptop/tablet/phone just to view the logged data, ok, once or twice is acceptable, but once you're doing it often, it becomes annoying.

Below example of 8 hours temperature logging I've done few years ago, at my 287 with temperature probe just hanging at free air, when I installed a new AC in a room, looks like the AC worked pretty decent at regulating the room temperature, it was set at 25 C.

The 8 hours chart span, can be zoomed down to 2 minutes resolution, straight at the meter, no need any stinky dongle nor hassle to view it from other device, exactly just like a portable scope does.

Hope this helps.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 01:12:31 pm »
Maybe you can answer a question I've had. Is it necessary to run a tablet or phone continuously to receive data from the U1117A over a longer period of time like 24 hours? Can it be done at all?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 05:42:32 pm »
I messed with the U1252B + U1117A trying to get Keysight Handheld Meter Logger Software to work today, I had problems with BT (which I think I solved) but the software itself is not working.  I raised a separate thread on it here so as not to clog up this Fluke 287 thread.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 03:43:21 am »
Maybe you can answer a question I've had. Is it necessary to run a tablet or phone continuously to receive data from the U1117A over a longer period of time like 24 hours? Can it be done at all?

The U1252B has it's own non volatile buffer (very limited) to store the logged data, that can be retrieve using the dongle, but in order to get it live feed "AND" logging the data up to max storage of the connecting device like at your tablet/phone/pc, of course they need to be on all the time.

Personally rarely use it for logging, but for measuring dangerous voltage/circuit remotely, which has a safety of spark gap in meters.  :-DD

Offline mjkuwp

• Supporter
  • mechanical engineering defector
    • The Mz Lab
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 12:42:11 pm »

That likely would work.  The biggest issue would be battery life and the weak link there is the phone/tablet.  You can obviously plug that into a power source. 

My feeling, however, is that the reliability of this setup will be a bit low and this is why the data-logging I do for work has been switched to use USB/serial- optical cables connected a computer or Raspberry Pi.  I had use the U1117A many years back and at one time was running 3 simultaneously to my phone.  The app changed over time and some versions of it were not reliable.  There are so many different phone and tablet models as well as OS versions that I suspect it is a bit of a challenge to keep the software maintained.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 10:41:23 pm »
I just snagged a 'new' Fluke 289 on eBay for just over $300.  It says it comes with TrendCapture, I've attached a picture from the eBay listing. Did I do OK?

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 12:23:46 am »
You've done an excellent deal. The "It comes with TrendCapture" is one of the features of the 287/289 family were you can log to the DMM and view the graphic of what you capture directly on the screen.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 03:50:11 am »
Agree, and once you do lots of logging, especially at the field, worry you will abandon the cumbersome of using your Agilent DMM + U1117A module + PDA/phone/laptop.  :P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 08:40:09 am »
Thanks guys, I was worried I'd wake up today with buyers remorse but that hasn't happened; looking forward to getting the 'new' 289  :-DMM

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 09:31:55 am »
The only thing now is to get a cable and the software (if you need the software, send me a PM...  ;))

The cable if you are able to snag one from eBay good, even better if you make yours. There are links above how to make one.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 10:48:13 am »
The only thing now is to get a cable and the software (if you need the software, send me a PM...  ;))

The cable if you are able to snag one from eBay good, even better if you make yours. There are links above how to make one.
Thanks, but isn't TrendCapture the software you're referring to?  I think that will come with my 'new' 289.  I looked at the ir3000 but I think a home brew cable will work for now.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 12:31:00 pm »
No, TrendCapture is a function from the 287/289 Firmware. But if you want to import to the PC you will need the Fluke View Forms, that Import all the data to the PC plus the Graphics and from there you can create Reports.

287/289 TrendCapture on the DMM

Fluke View Forms

From the data that you log in the DMM you can then import to the Software to have better view, including a list of all the log times and their values, in a easy to watch way and from them create reports or import to excel and other programs.

TrendCapture is good for On Site review of logs to decision making, Fluke View Forms for later review when you arrive at the office to fill reports, as an example of a situation.

For example I used it to diagnose a equipment that were restarting by no reason, being the PSU were basically having large swells on the 12V rail. First I thought it was the PSU damage via the TrendCapture function. Then back at a quiet place downloaded the logs and analysed, and by the time stamps realize that it was another module connected to the PSU who were causing that, since the time stamps were matching the start and shutdown of that module. So I simply changed that module to a different 12V rail and it doesn't happen anymore. With that data I created a simple report and uploaded to the customer, explaining the causes and showing what was done.

The software normally comes with the 287/289 if you buy the Fluke 287/289 Fluke View Forms kit, who is the DMM, probes, the USB cable, the IR3000, the magnet and the carrying bag.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:41:56 pm by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr, Royalgrass

Offline tonycstech

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2023, 02:23:59 am »
Sorry to wake you guys up but i have a question about this meter.
I need to be able to display current reading to the PC monitor.
Is this meter able to do that via USB adapter of some sort and a software ?

I am not interested in logging or transferring any data, just want the reading displayed on the computer screen.
Thanks !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf