Author Topic: Function generator easy freq calibration to GPSDO  (Read 665 times)

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Function generator easy freq calibration to GPSDO
« on: June 24, 2021, 04:45:57 am »
We all know that if you shove a 10MHz reference signal from a GPSDO into your function generator then the output frequency you select will be very accurate. Does any function generator have the facility where you can set it going for several hours to completely stabilise, then in some menu push a button to tell it to trim a generated free-running 10MHZ to equal the GPSDO 10MHz, making for an easy frequency calibration? As you may guess, I don’t know anything about calibrating these things, so go easy on me.  :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 04:48:04 am by Circlotron »

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: Function generator easy freq calibration to GPSDO
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 05:25:31 am »
It seems to me that you are suggesting synchronizing a function generator with an external standard.  The answer is, it depends on the function generator.

If the generator is synthesized and uses a 10 MHz standard, say, you could in theory use the external standard and thus have what you want.  If it uses something other than 10 MHz, you will have to generate that frequency from the GPS.  If it doesn't work that way, you probably can't synchronize it because each frequency it generates is free running and has no standard.

Offline JohnPi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 03:20:25 am »
The Agilent 33220A Function Generator can do that. It's not quite 'push a button', but it is controllable from the front panel. See e.g. http://lmu.web.psi.ch/docu/manuals/bulk_manuals/Agilent/33220-90010.pdf, chapter 4 for details.

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 03:41:23 am »
The link doesn't work.

Offline picburner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 04:51:09 am »
Just remove the comma at the end of the link, then it works.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf