Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
1 GHz is a hard requirement, and is probably barely enough for my application. I've seen the link to the design with the transformer, and it looks intriguing, but the bandwidth is not there and I would really like the ability to go to DC.
I've looked at buying used probes and hacking at them, but this is for work, and my priority is not to design a probe, but get measurements. At some point it becomes cheaper to buy, just not there yet. I would like the flexibility of having a design - recently I have built transmission line probes into some designs and they work surprisingly well.
The IsoVue may not look like a differential probe, but it sure acts like one. Yes, it looks like a 50 ohm isolation amplifier, but it is a high resolution analog one, and they are not exaggerating the CMRR. Because the CM impedance is so high, there is very little conversion of CM to DM. I'm not sure about the innards, except that I know they use an electro-optic modulator. These can be designed to be inherently balanced, so it may be that the only imbalanced part is the input coax/attenuator. So unless you are sure about the design, it may be premature to say it is not a differential probe. Here is a link with some interesting information:
https://www.google.com/patents/US7310455
John