Author Topic: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?  (Read 414435 times)

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?
« Reply #1200 on: March 25, 2024, 10:21:52 pm »
I'm very interested in a high end model from them but this puts a damper on that.  Also, this encryption crap for all of their files helps no one.  The calibration kits should be picked up from external files that can be examined, or cloned and modified for special use.

Since you seem expert in the matter, can you elaborate the information you checked in Siglent files?

I don't think there is any "encryption" at play here, just a simple custom structure by Siglent. Maybe one could understand the structure and their kits.

Maybe I could help a little but time is rare nowadays.

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1201 on: March 26, 2024, 02:05:20 am »
Sorry, no expert here but I've worked with a lot of DIY standards until I landed a few real kits, and am somewhat familiar with the cal constants.  And you may be correct in that their data is just that, data and only in their own structure.  Kit labels for the soft keys would have to be elsewhere in resources.  But since today's experiment, I found that the 2 missing files did not fix the problem.  Then I found the limited .csv files.  Not all kits are present.

But the problem remains that only a handful of kits from the menus are present in .csv form.  The files are named for the type such as 85032F.csv.  These kits do not contain the usual data found in kits, delays, c0, c1, c2, c3 and lo, l1, l2, l3.  They are frequency and a pair of data, probably in real, imaginary form.  This example file is a 85032F kit for a type N connector, not sure of the sex.  My real kit is 85033E for 3.5mm (similar to SMA).  It has no .csv file and there's no reason for that.

Quick summary:

1.  performing a cal with the internal 85033E kit results in way off responses, perhaps because there is NO KIT present
2.  entering the proper 85033E constants into the USER1 cal kit results in near perfect cal.
3.  If the.csv files are indeed Siglent's implementation, then:
     a) many are missing and
     b) this is not a good practice

They could/should have been in .xml or delimited text or some other ascii readable format and contained data from Agilent.

Since posting I also repeated this with an Anritsu Tee shaped cal kit I have.  I entered it as USER2 and it behaved near perfectly.

You can tell if the cal matches the kit if the arc produced for a short or open can be brought to a dot by entering a port extension equal in time to the delay constant from the kit for that type and sex of connector.

I think what's left is for someone else to repeat this on a real SVA.  Then it can be brought up with Siglent.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1202 on: March 26, 2024, 03:46:09 am »
A nice treat found  :)

While trying to get the "upgraded" SVA1032X to save a calibrated session AND apply that calibration to a measurement, I discovered that the unit now saves SNP files.  This was a shortcoming noticed by many.  This addition does not appear in the pdf manual or in the firmware revision notes.  Just an unannounced gift  :)

To repeat, with the latest firmware (haven't looked before this), the SVA1032X now saves an S1P file for the VNA mode.

The file produced opened correctly in an online S1P viewer.

For those wondering WTF is this about, you can sweep an antenna or network, save the S1P and bring it into a PC based program to view the plot and to add LRC networks to move the plot response as desired.  You can then add that network for real and watch the VNA plot the new response.  Up to tens of MHz, it should be easy.  Once in the GHz, things are not that easy due to pcb layout, stray capacitance and inductance and the phase of the moon  ::)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 03:50:40 am by EE-digger »

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1203 on: March 26, 2024, 02:11:40 pm »
Another little gem that is not in the documentation, the CSA save as format.

Borrowed from its big brothers, as well as Agilent / Keysight, the CSA save allows you to bring back a session with calibration AND state settings applied.

Example:  calibrate the unit with test cable in place, attach your antenna, circuit, etc.  Adjust screen settings, markers, etc.  The CSA save will allow you to come back completely to this "arrangement".  Neither STATE nor CAL alone will do this.

Incidentally, Siglent's high end, SNA5032A, does document this format.

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1204 on: March 26, 2024, 02:14:56 pm »
Regarding cal kit issues, I noticed that the SNA5032A, for instance, allows cal kits in the .xkt format which is used by Keysight.  They also allow full editing of cal kits, creation of custom kits and more of what you'd expect for $32,000.

While it's obvious you're not going to get this functionality in a < $3000 unit, the essentials should have remained.  Keep the .xkt format for external cal kits AND for internal kits from Keysight or others.

Offline zurczurc

« Reply #1205 on: April 14, 2024, 12:21:36 am »
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have a SSA3021X spectrum analyzer that had some options unlocked and the Model: SSA3032X and it had firmware 1.2.8.5a with Telnet enabled, all OK. But there was an small attenuation problem on the TG the -1.0dbm. Siglent asked me to update to 1.3.9.10. After I updated, the Model appears now as SSA3010X and Telnet was blocked, and the TG started to have an attenuation ranging from -22 dBm to -30 dBm. Does anyone have any idea how to re-enable Telnet and adjust the model and calibration? I appreciate the help in advance.

Offline james38

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1206 on: April 17, 2024, 03:01:42 pm »
OK, i hope you were really sure it was 1.2.8.5a.
An Update to 1.3.9.10 are only possible directly since 1.2.8.1 like said in the update instructions.

I don't know  a SSA3010X but i think it is a typo, right?
if it is really SSA3010X do you have a screenshot?

And yes from a certain version telnet was removed.
But as i know it exists a special ADS in the forum with which you can enable  temporarily.

Have you ever reset the configuration to factory settings?

regards Chris

Addendum:

Is it possible that the device currently only has a maximum of 1 GHz?
Did you change something on an xml using telnet beforehand?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 08:42:04 pm by james38 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf