Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope  (Read 2523689 times)

0 Members and 90 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Wawavoun

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 117
  • Country: fr
  • Someday I'll get you, Red Baron !
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4225 on: November 15, 2025, 01:30:40 pm »
Connecting the TPLink dongle + Logitec keyboard usb dongle with a small hub (because I need also keyboard for wifi key input) I get

01-18 16:50:54.931 0 0 W usbtmc_dev_init: 2327 - E
01-18 16:50:54.938 0 0 W usbtmc_dev_init: 2353 - X
01-18 16:54:18.866 0 0 I usb 3-1 : new high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci-hcd
01-18 16:54:18.987 0 0 I usb 3-1 : New USB device found, idVendor=214b, idProduct=7000
01-18 16:54:18.987 0 0 I usb 3-1 : New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
01-18 16:54:18.987 0 0 I usb 3-1 : Product: USB2.0 HUB 01-18 16:54:19.013 0 0 I hub 3-1 : 1.0: USB hub found

Connecting the dongle directly into scope usb socket give :
 
1-18 17:10:15.785 0 0 I usb 3-1 : new high-speed USB device number 4 using xhci-hcd
01-18 17:10:15.906 0 0 I usb 3-1 : New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8179
01-18 17:10:15.906 0 0 I usb 3-1 : New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
01-18 17:10:15.906 0 0 I usb 3-1 : Product: 802.11n NIC
01-18 17:10:15.906 0 0 I usb 3-1 : Manufacturer: Realtek
01-18 17:10:15.906 0 0 I usb 3-1 : SerialNumber: 00E04C0001

So it seems that something is wrong with the usb hub...
 

Offline norbert.kiszka

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • !
  • Posts: 1132
  • Country: pl
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4226 on: November 15, 2025, 01:34:50 pm »
Either use different USB hub or use my firmware mod in which You don't need any hub to configure WiFi (directly from the app by using touchscreen).

Offline Wawavoun

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 117
  • Country: fr
  • Someday I'll get you, Red Baron !
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4227 on: November 15, 2025, 02:56:36 pm »
I quickly manufacture a cable so I can power the hub from another source that the scope.

Now the 3 devices enumarate correctly :
the hub itself
the keyboard
the wifi dongle

01-18 16:55:05.566     0     0 I usb 1-1 : new high-speed USB device number 5 using xhci-hcd
01-18 16:55:05.687     0     0 I usb 1-1 : New USB device found, idVendor=214b, idProduct=7000
01-18 16:55:05.687     0     0 I usb 1-1 : New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
01-18 16:55:05.687     0     0 I usb 1-1 : Product: USB2.0 HUB
01-18 16:55:05.703     0     0 I hub 1-1 : 1.0: USB hub found
01-18 16:55:28.166     0     0 I usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci-hcd
01-18 16:55:28.249     0     0 I usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c52b
01-18 16:55:28.249     0     0 I usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
01-18 16:55:28.249     0     0 I usb 1-1.2: Product: USB Receiver
01-18 16:55:28.249     0     0 I usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Logitech
01-18 16:55:28.273     0     0 I logitech-djreceiver 0003: 046D:C52B.0007: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Device [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-xhci-hcd.9.auto-1.2/input2
01-18 16:55:28.386     0     0 I input   : Logitech K400 as /devices/platform/usb@fe900000/fe900000.dwc3/xhci-hcd.9.auto/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.2/0003:046D:C52B.0007/0003:046D:4024.0008/input/input3
01-18 16:55:28.387     0     0 I logitech-hidpp-device 0003: 046D:4024.0008: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Logitech K400] on usb-xhci-hcd.9.auto-1.2:1
01-18 16:55:37.120     0     0 I usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 7 using xhci-hcd
01-18 16:55:37.200     0     0 I usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8179
01-18 16:55:37.200     0     0 I usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
01-18 16:55:37.200     0     0 I usb 1-1.3: Product: 802.11n NIC
01-18 16:55:37.200     0     0 I usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: Realtek
01-18 16:55:37.200     0     0 I usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: 00E04C0001

The wifi dongle is identified correctly but again no way to activate the wifi (of course I got the log via ethernet but I also give a try after a reboot with ethernet disconnected).

Thanks.
Philippe
 

Offline kosster

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: pl
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4228 on: November 15, 2025, 06:05:05 pm »
Hi, I'm new here, but I've been reading the forum for a while. I heard from a "Rigol enthusiast" that you can buy a generator board for a standard DHO924, and interestingly, it can even be a 2-channel generator. Is this true?
 

Offline norbert.kiszka

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • !
  • Posts: 1132
  • Country: pl
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4229 on: November 15, 2025, 06:13:20 pm »
it can even be a 2-channel generator. Is this true?

As far I know, nobody hacked FPGA firmware yet, so no.

Only one thing what You can hack is the maximum frequency from 25 MHz to 50 MHz with little lower amplitude.

Offline Wawavoun

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 117
  • Country: fr
  • Someday I'll get you, Red Baron !
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4230 on: November 16, 2025, 08:33:09 am »
This is the list of the usb driver I found into /sys/bus/usb :

MOSCHIP usb-ethernet driver
aiptek
asix
ax88179_178a
catc
cdc_acm
cdc_eem
cdc_ether
cdc_mbim
cdc_ncm
cdc_subset
cdc_wdm
ch341
cp210x
cx82310_eth
dm9601
ftdi_sio
gl620a
gtco
hanwang
hso
hub
int51x1
ipheth
kalmia
kaweth
kbtab
net1080
option
oti6858
pegasus
pl2303
plusb
qcserial
qmi_wwan
r8152
rndis_host
rtk_btusb
rtl8150
sierra
sierra_net
smsc75xx
smsc95xx
snd-usb-audio
trancevibrator
uas
ums-alauda
ums-cypress
ums-datafab
ums-freecom
ums-isd200
ums-jumpshot
ums-karma
ums-onetouch
ums-sddr09
ums-sddr55
ums-usbat
ums_eneub6250
usb
usb-storage
usb_acecad
usbfs
usbhid
usbserial
usbserial_generic
usbtmc
uvcvideo
xpad
zaurus

As you can see none are related to wifi so I have to forgot, no solution at all... I can only use
wired network !

I am curious to see the same list (adb shell ls /sys/bus/*/drivers) for a DHO804 where RTL8188EUS dongle is working.

Philippe
« Last Edit: November 16, 2025, 08:40:58 am by Wawavoun »
 

Offline 0xdeadbeef

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1897
  • Country: de
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4231 on: November 16, 2025, 09:12:55 am »
From an MHO98, if this helps:

Code: [Select]
/sys/bus/usb/drivers:
MOSCHIP usb-ethernet driver
aiptek
asix
ax88179_178a
catc
cdc_acm
cdc_eem
cdc_ether
cdc_mbim
cdc_ncm
cdc_subset
cdc_wdm
ch341
cp210x
cx82310_eth
dm9601
ftdi_sio
gl620a
gtco
hanwang
hso
hub
int51x1
ipheth
kalmia
kaweth
kbtab
net1080
option
oti6858
pegasus
pl2303
plusb
qcserial
qmi_wwan
r8152
rndis_host
rtk_btusb
rtl8150
rtl8821cu
sierra
sierra_net
smsc75xx
smsc95xx
snd-usb-audio
trancevibrator
uas
ums-alauda
ums-cypress
ums-datafab
ums-freecom
ums-isd200
ums-jumpshot
ums-karma
ums-onetouch
ums-sddr09
ums-sddr55
ums-usbat
ums_eneub6250
usb
usb-storage
usb_acecad
usbfs
usbhid
usbserial
usbserial_generic
uvcvideo
xpad
zaurus
« Last Edit: November 16, 2025, 09:15:05 am by 0xdeadbeef »
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson
 

Offline Libramale

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 9
  • Country: za
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4232 on: November 17, 2025, 11:11:23 am »
I am trying to create a new SD Card using the image downloaded from the 1st post in this topic.
Should the SD card be s specific size?
Should the SD card be formatted with a specific partition type?
Specific label name?
On macOS I am using BalenaEtcher, any specific instructions to write it with?

All help appreciated.

André
 

Offline Fungus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 18111
  • Country: 00
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4233 on: November 17, 2025, 12:08:26 pm »
I am trying to create a new SD Card using the image downloaded from the 1st post in this topic.
Should the SD card be s specific size?

The one inside the 'scope is 32Gb
 

Offline Libramale

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 9
  • Country: za
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4234 on: November 17, 2025, 12:35:57 pm »
That I have, but seems the file format at the link is proprietary to the HDD RAW Copy utility, and this is not available on macOS/ARM64
« Last Edit: November 17, 2025, 12:41:01 pm by Libramale »
 

Offline Wawavoun

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 117
  • Country: fr
  • Someday I'll get you, Red Baron !
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4235 on: November 17, 2025, 03:51:49 pm »
This is the references of the main board of the scope.



I am wondering if its possible to get a sector backup (dd ?) of the sd board from somebody else having the same board AND that use a RTL8188EUS dongle, then prepare a sd here and give it a try ?

Thanks.
Philippe
« Last Edit: November 17, 2025, 05:52:30 pm by Wawavoun »
 

Offline Fungus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 18111
  • Country: 00
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4236 on: November 17, 2025, 06:22:53 pm »
Just put the WiFi dongle in, power it on, and send this over Ethernet using ADB:

adb shell am start -a android.settings.WIFI_SETTINGS

No need for USB hub or keyboard or anything else.


Note: The dongle must to be there at power-on. You can't put it in afterwards.
 

Offline Wawavoun

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 117
  • Country: fr
  • Someday I'll get you, Red Baron !
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4237 on: November 17, 2025, 08:41:01 pm »
Progress !!!

You are right. By your way wifi is activated and I can go to the point where I must put the wifi access code.

How can I do that without keyboard ??? Is it possible with adb ?

Great thanks.
Philippe
 

Offline Wawavoun

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 117
  • Country: fr
  • Someday I'll get you, Red Baron !
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4238 on: November 17, 2025, 08:55:31 pm »
Got it with :

adb shell input text "wifi_code"

after set the focus on the corresponding field on the scope.

Connected now ! Hourra !!!
 

Offline Randy222

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1814
  • Country: ca
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4239 on: November 17, 2025, 11:25:59 pm »
Progress !!!

You are right. By your way wifi is activated and I can go to the point where I must put the wifi access code.

How can I do that without keyboard ??? Is it possible with adb ?

Great thanks.
Philippe
IIRC, you can use a USB hub.
 

Offline Randy222

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1814
  • Country: ca
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4240 on: November 18, 2025, 05:20:03 am »
This is the list of the usb driver I found into /sys/bus/usb :


As you can see none are related to wifi so I have to forgot, no solution at all... I can only use
wired network !

I am curious to see the same list (adb shell ls /sys/bus/*/drivers) for a DHO804 where RTL8188EUS dongle is working.

Philippe
The kernel itself has support for usb wifi.
The usb wifi dongle that works has been well documented already. I think it's a $10 item.
 

Offline Wawavoun

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 117
  • Country: fr
  • Someday I'll get you, Red Baron !
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4241 on: November 18, 2025, 08:02:27 am »
Now I can do a short abstract on how I get my wifi dongle working on a DHO804 :

Remove all <> surrounding adb command !
For installing adb see other message in this thread.

- connect ethernet on the scope and get an ip
- power off the scope
- install the TPLink TL-WN725N (running a RTL8188EUS) into the scope front usb socket (dont use an usb hub)
- power on the scope and wait boot end
- on a linux or windows computer connected to the same network  do <adb connect scope_ip:55555> you should get the connected message
- do : <adb shell am start -a android.settings.WIFI_SETTINGS> this will put the wifi settings window on scope screen
- select the network and then the scope should ask the wifi key
- on the scope set focus into the text zone where the wifi key should be entered
- on the computer do <adb shell input text "your_wifi_code"> this will fill the text zone on the scope
- do "ok" on the scope then the wifi should connect
- on the computer do <adb shell input keyevent 111> (send ESC code) this will close the wifi settings window on the scope
- power off the scope, disconnect ethernet, restart and enjoy wifi !!!

All my problems must be related to a cheap/buggy usb hub. By this way you dont need keyboard nor usb hub.

Thanks to all here that have try to help.

Philippe

« Last Edit: November 18, 2025, 06:17:53 pm by Wawavoun »
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w, Fungus, TUMEMBER, OZ4ACL, r2r

Offline Orfeous

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 18
  • Country: se
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4242 on: November 22, 2025, 05:54:46 pm »
I'm looking to finally replace my budget really old DSO Nano V2 that actually has served me ok for what ive done with it. Now I have outgrown it and thought of replacing it finally.

Ive been looking at 100 and 200Mhz Oscilloscopes.

Siglent and Rigol is two brand ive been looking at.
I know that there was a model of Rigol that came with 50Mhz that Rigol offered free upgrade to. I think there was a couple of upgrades for that. 50 to 100Mhz for example.

Nice to have a higher bandwidth and resolution than ive currently have.

Is this Rigol DHO800/900 Scope currently worth buying? Or do I have any other alternatives 100-200Mhz oscilloscopes that not brake the bank.

Would say 500 Euro budget.
Prices may vary of course depending where you find one.
 

Offline Fungus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 18111
  • Country: 00
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4243 on: November 22, 2025, 08:31:23 pm »
Is this Rigol DHO800/900 Scope currently worth buying?

The 800 is, the 900 isn't.

You can buy the cheapest one and turn it into any other model with a simple command over Ethernet. The hardware is identical on all models.
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline shapirus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2254
  • Country: ua
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4244 on: November 22, 2025, 11:00:43 pm »
You can buy the cheapest one and turn it into any other model
Correction: the cheapest of the 4-channel models. The 2-channel ones aren't worth it.

The 800 series lacks the hardware AWG and LA support, compared to 900, but I'm not sure they're worth anything, so yeah, I'll agree that the only scope worth buying (if still worth it at all today) from these series is the DHO804.
 
The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Fungus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 18111
  • Country: 00
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4245 on: November 23, 2025, 12:08:27 pm »
I wish we could add extra BNC connectors over Ethernet but I'm afraid it's not possible.  :)

 

Offline norbert.kiszka

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • !
  • Posts: 1132
  • Country: pl
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4246 on: November 24, 2025, 04:38:48 pm »
The 800 is, the 900 isn't.

Maybe for You. Some users may want LA, AFG, 350 MHz passive probes instead of 150 MHz and of course black color.

You can buy probes and add AFG and LA by yourself, but sometimes it's not worth it for the money and time needed for this. 350 MHz probes alone are expensive.

Offline norbert.kiszka

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • !
  • Posts: 1132
  • Country: pl
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4247 on: November 24, 2025, 04:52:45 pm »
As you can see none are related to wifi so I have to forgot, no solution at all... I can only use
wired network !

I think You listed built-in and loaded kernel modules (drivers).

When the driver is in a separate file (at the time of compiling the kernel, You can configure what You want and how), You can load it manually with insmod.

Android itself is a very bad OS - that's why it's so problematic, maybe even more than Windows.

Try to load it with insmod - but likely this will not work. Turn on Your scope with a USB wifi already connected - preferably without the USB hub.

I am trying to create a new SD Card using the image downloaded from the 1st post in this topic.
Should the SD card be s specific size?

The one inside the 'scope is 32Gb

The capacity of the SD card (blocks with 512 bytes) must be at least with the size of the image. There is no problem when SD card is bigger - unless there are other reasons like a different communication, voltages, etc.

Speaking about the voltages, SD card doesn't work with the constant voltage. In the worst case scenario, CPU will be not able to read bootloader from it.

There are methods of shrinking SD card images, but I don't want to write a book here.

That I have, but seems the file format at the link is proprietary to the HDD RAW Copy utility, and this is not available on macOS/ARM64

Not at all. I never used "HDD RAW Copy utility" and I don't have Windows. I already confirmed those files being as a real raw binary images of a SD card.

On the Linux I don't need any special software to flash SD card with files from Dave.

Offline Fungus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 18111
  • Country: 00
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4248 on: November 24, 2025, 05:18:51 pm »
The 800 is, the 900 isn't.

Maybe for You. Some users may want LA, AFG, 350 MHz passive probes instead of 150 MHz and of course black color.

You can buy probes and add AFG and LA by yourself, but sometimes it's not worth it for the money and time needed for this. 350 MHz probes alone are expensive.

The new MHO900 does all of that way better. The FFT and Bode plot are much improved, too.

The DHO900 has severe sample rate limitations.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2025, 06:15:39 pm by Fungus »
 

Offline norbert.kiszka

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • !
  • Posts: 1132
  • Country: pl
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #4249 on: November 24, 2025, 06:29:11 pm »
The DHO900 has severe sample rate limitations.

DHO800/900 LA can work up to 1.25 GSa/s. Right now Im not sure about memory depth limitations in MHO900 with LA.

Sample memory times sample time is only slightly better with MHO900.


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->