Author Topic: Handheld vs benchtop multimeter  (Read 5841 times)

Offline timwolfTopic starter

• Contributor
Handheld vs benchtop multimeter
« on: February 04, 2022, 05:13:22 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new multi-meter for my bench-top, and since it's not going to be going very far from the bench, I'm wondering if it would be a better bang for the buck to get a bench-top multi-meter, are they any better than a handheld multi-meter, my budget is under >$500.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Handheld vs benchtop multimeter
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 06:26:16 pm »
The handheld and benchtop DMMs have different strengths, at least as a general tendency. So it depends on the use, which is better. One should consider a bench type DMM if one needs things like:
4 Wire ohms
a PC interface (though also found with some hand helds)
faster reading (especially to read to the PC)
mains power (no battery change for longer use)
high resolution (e.g. > 50000 counts) / high accuracy
a large display
higher than 10 M input impedance

As a downside of bench DMMs often have limited protection (low CAT rating) and they tend to be more expensive.  The CAT rating may not reflect the actual level of protection though. There is a more limited choice of bench meters.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 06:27:56 pm »
What DMMs do you already have?

Offline NaxFM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 06:29:21 pm »
It depends on what are your needs.
With much less than 100$ you could buy the uni-T ut61e which is a very capable handheld multimeter, great for general work. If you want a new bench multimeter there's the siglent sdm series. If I were you, i'd buy a used agilent 34401A for around 350- 400$, which is basically the best you can get for this budget.
Of course bench meters are usually much more capable than handheld, but again it depends on what you need. Do you need 6 1/2 digits and accuracy down to tens of microvolts or you can do your work with less digits and uncertainty of few millivolts?

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 06:56:56 pm »
Currently have an ANENG AN8008, looking between "Fluke 289 True-RMS Stand Alone Logging Multimeter" and "Siglent Technologies SDM3045X" I am however looking for other suggestions, and a pick between these two.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 06:58:39 pm »
The 'advantage' depends a lot on how you use your meter. If you sit at the bench all day then the bench meter has the advantage of no battery anxiety and/or annoying auto-power-off to deal with. The downside is that they can take up a lot of space. Some people put them on shelves but then you're constantly looking uo and down.

There's small-footprint semi-benchtops though, eg. this seems to be getting positive reviews:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-xdm1041-the-unknown-multimeter/

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 07:00:31 pm by Fungus »

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 07:03:10 pm »
There is no fixed answer on that.
A real benchtop multimeter has some advantages (and disadvantages) compared to a handheld.
Also be aware that many cheap benchtop meters are glorified handheld meters, that do not make them bad, but means you will miss some of the benchtop advantages (Like 4-terminal ohms and remote control of ranges).

For most measurements any meter will work.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 07:05:16 pm »
Currently have an ANENG AN8008

Almost anything would be a big step up.   :)

, looking between "Fluke 289 True-RMS Stand Alone Logging Multimeter" and "Siglent Technologies SDM3045X" I am however looking for other suggestions, and a pick between these two.

A Fluke 289 will break your budget by quite a large margin unless you're looking for a used one.

It looks like you're in the USA so you might be able to find a used 289 for a decent price. You could have that plus that Owon and between the two of them you'll have quite a setup... one to leave on all day long and the other for the most critical measurements.

(nb. I'm not implying there's anything wrong with the Owon measurements)

Or... if you have a big bench you could get the Siglent. It's down to your personal preference, neither setup has massive advantages unless you regularly need to measure tiny resistances in which case the Siglent's 4-wire function will save you from doing a divide on your calculator.

Two meters is always better than one though, no matter how good the one meter is
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 07:30:23 pm by Fungus »

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 07:39:41 pm »
The 287 can be found for a bit cheaper than the 289.  As far as accuracy goes the 287/289 deserves some respect from what I've experienced.  However, it's not overly friendly as a bench meter.  Battery life, UI, LCD display and speed are less than ideal.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 07:49:18 pm »
I don't like the 289 as a bench meter at all. I much rather use the 8050a for bench meter. So if I were the OP I believe a good used bench meter from Agilent or HP would be a good choice.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 07:52:06 pm »
Currently have an ANENG AN8008, looking between "Fluke 289 True-RMS Stand Alone Logging Multimeter" and "Siglent Technologies SDM3045X" I am however looking for other suggestions, and a pick between these two.

The F289 is an excellent high-end meter, but is also a battery-eating complex pain-in-the-ass to use until you've learned the menus.  It is also huge.  I've gotten used to mine, but it isn't the first thing I typically grab.  You can read about the Siglent DMMs here on EEVBlog, I think the reviews on that model are a bit mixed.  I don't have one and won't comment.

Do you need the extra functions and PC connectivity of a modern DMM?  Or do you just want a good basic Volt & Ohms meter that is easy to see and can stay on all the time?

I would suggest looking at the used market, but prices have gone up quite a bit lately so there's a lot less to pick from that makes sense.  You still might want to have a look.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 07:58:02 pm »
The handheld and benchtop DMMs have different strengths, at least as a general tendency. So it depends on the use, which is better. One should consider a bench type DMM if one needs things like:
4 Wire ohms
a large display
No, no, no and no. Sorry but this is just BS. A benchtop meter doesn't have to be better or different compared to a handheld. The only real difference between a handheld and bench DMM is that a handheld is portable and runs on batteries where a bench meter sits on a bench (stackable!) and runs from mains. Thats it! I don't get why bench DMMs need to have special features. That line of thinking is insane :palm:

There are oodles of not so expensive bench meters out there. My personal favorite is the Vici VC8145 which has been on the market for over a decade already.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 08:03:37 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 08:09:02 pm »
in general benchtop equipment with a horizontal control face should, IMO have the grip of rubber feet and or weight holding it in place or sit facing upright at an angle with a folding handle to stop it slipping and a sliding across the bench  >:D when using it one handed.  |O  my own experiences with equipment ergonomics
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline MadScientist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 08:34:00 pm »
I use the xdm1040 bench unit. It’s no better then a portable DMM  it has a nice big display , mains power and a vertical display face. I like it.
EE's: We use silicon to make things  smaller!

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 08:36:46 pm »
Once you use a very fast VFD bench meter you'll never want anything less.

Units with front/rear connectors can be nice for quickly switching between a 2-wire voltage measurement and a 4-wire Ohms measurement without having to change leads.

The 34401A plus an LCR meter like the DE-5000 is my vote for a great setup around $500.

Offline NaxFM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 08:47:03 pm »
Units with front/rear connectors can be nice for quickly switching between a 2-wire voltage measurement and a 4-wire Ohms measurement without having to change leads.

That of leaving the 4 wire clips on the rear connectors is such a simple but yet useful idea! Thank you! To me the rear connectors were almost non existent, never used them.
I don't suppose there is problem of noise pickup from the connected leads, right? Aren't they physically disconnected when switching from back to front terminals?

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 08:54:46 pm »
I have a bunch of DMMs ranging from Fluke 189 through both EEVblog meters down to Harbor Freight $5.  The one I reach for:  The Aneng 8008 - it's just a handy little meter.  Given that you need at least 3 meters, two of them can be less expensive and the 8008 is one choice.

I suppose one meter should have phenomenal  specs like the Siglent SDM3055 (without the scanner option) and that seems near the limit of your budget.

I bought a couple of bench meters from eBay:  an HP3478A 5-1/2 digit - I don't like the display so I never use it.  I also bought a GW Instech GDM 8251A 5-1/2 digit with a nice bright display.  I don't use it very often (Aneng 8008 is handy) but it is a nice meter for about $200 on eBay.

Just because you can measure to 6-1/2 digits doesn't mean you can ASJUST to that level.  At some point, the meter is more accurate than the circuit.  10% resistors, 20% capacitors doesn't lead to 6-1/2 digits.  "Close enough" is close enough.

At some point, you may want to add a Simpson 260 V-O-M.  They're pretty cheap on eBay.  Pick one that hasn't been abused (if possible).  A Triplett 630 is another good choice.  These analog meters do NOT have the resolution of even the cheapest DMMs but they do have their place.

One example:  Our emergency generator wouldn't start but the battery voltage (static) was fine.  When we measured the voltage with the starter engaged we could see it drop to near 0V.  This isn't a quantitative measurement, it is qualitative.  If the voltage drop from 14 to 12, no problem, dropping to near 0V is a big problem.  We want to see the meter move, not wait on some slow DMM to eventually guess at what happened.

There are a lot of places where the speed of a V-O-M outweighs the resolution of a DMM.  Not every day, of course, but every once in awhile.

ETA:  Watch w2aew videos.  He quite often has a Simpson 260 measuring one of the parameters.  I don't imagine he has run out of DMMs but he is making a point.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 09:05:43 pm by rstofer »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 09:00:25 pm »
I have a bunch of DMMs ranging from Fluke 189 through both EEVblog meters down to Harbor Freight $5.  The one I reach for:  The Aneng 8008 - it's just a handy little meter.  Given that you need at least 3 meters, two of them can be less expensive and the 8008 is one choice.

You should get a Zoyi VC17B+

You wont use the 8008 ever again.  :popcorn:

(same as Aneng 860B+ but Aneng don't seem to do it any more)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 09:12:18 pm »

You should get a Zoyi VC17B+

You wont use the 8008 ever again.  :popcorn:

(same as Aneng 860B+ but Aneng don't seem to do it any more)

Why not?  Looks like a nice little meter and the price is good.

I don't want to order from China so unless Amazon carries it, I won't bother.  BTW, they don't seem to have it.  I'm much too old to have an attention span.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2022, 09:30:35 pm »
@rstofer What would be the main difference between the Siglent SDM3055 and the Siglent SDM3045X other than the extra digit of accuracy, i'd like to justify the price difference of $120 to jump up to the better model.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2022, 09:32:49 pm »
4 Wire ohms
a large display
No, no, no and no. Sorry but this is just BS. A benchtop meter doesn't have to be better or different compared to a handheld. The only real difference between a handheld and bench DMM is that a handheld is portable and runs on batteries where a bench meter sits on a bench (stackable!) and runs from mains. Thats it! I don't get why bench DMMs need to have special features. That line of thinking is insane :palm:

There are oodles of not so expensive bench meters out there. My personal favorite is the Vici VC8145 which has been on the market for over a decade already.

In reality, common hand-held meters do not have 4-terminal ohms, and few have > 10 megohm input impedance.  If these features are important, then one should look at bench meters.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2022, 09:37:22 pm »
[...]
No, no, no and no. Sorry but this is just BS. A benchtop meter doesn't have to be better or different compared to a handheld.
I don't see how you're saying anything different from Kleinstein? The vast majority of bench meters is 4.5 digits or up. The vast majority of handheld meters are 4.5 digits or less. Are there 5.5 digit handhelds and 3.5 digit bench meters, yes. But the probability of a DMM having more than 4.5 digits conditional on it being a bench meter is much higher than the probability of a DMM having more than 4.5 digits conditional on it being a handheld meter. Same with having a reading speed more than a few readings/second, having a PC interface, etc. Your statement that there are counter examples does not conflict with this.

To me the higher contrast display, unlike the reflective LCD with a backlight that turns off every 30s or so, ability to leave it monitoring a circuit without it turning off at just the wrong time, and the higher update speed are the usual reason to use a bench meter. Also, my bench has very little horizontal surface area and much more vertical space, so a bench DMM that I can stack a power supply on is much more convenient than if I'd have to fit three handhelds on my bench.

The quick measurement and ability to move it away from my bench is the usual reason to grab a handheld. Is a bench meter necessary for most electronics work, absolutely not. It's just a nice item to have.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2022, 09:44:40 pm »
In reality, common hand-held meters do not have 4-terminal ohms, and few have > 10 megohm input impedance.  If these features are important, then one should look at bench meters.
Yes, but that is coming from a proper requirements driven view instead of from some kind of fantasy.

[...]
No, no, no and no. Sorry but this is just BS. A benchtop meter doesn't have to be better or different compared to a handheld.
I don't see how you're saying anything different from Kleinstein?
That is because you snipped all the seemingly must-haves Kleinstein listed as minimum requirements for a bench meter. And then you also get stuck in seemingly must-haves. First get the requirements in order and then see what fits best. The most basic requirement for a DMM is needing portability or not. That goes before anything else. In the end you can buy a good handheld for the same price as a good bench meter. So why buy a handheld if a bench meter is a better fit? Why is a bench meter suddenly a 'nice to have'? It isn't! Why do people have the idea that bench meters are expensive devices that are supposed to be superior to a handheld?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 09:50:52 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2022, 10:24:53 pm »
I don't want to order from China so unless Amazon carries it, I won't bother.

Why not? Aliexpress claims and returns are just as easy as Amazon's.

What's the big risk anyway? It's $25.

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2022, 10:30:49 pm »
As you probably already have a DC power supply you can do your own mOhm measurement quite precisely:

Well, considering my quick and dirty test installation with different quality-test-leads: 1 mOhm difference is not that bad...come on!  ^-^

From all handheld DMMs I still own and recently sold, the Fluke 289 is the one and only I will keep for ever, despite display-contrast and battery-usage, as it does everything perfectly fine and is able to log via USB-IR-Interface also to a PC, in case the internal memory is not enough - even with Linux on a RaspberryPi via TestController by HKJ. In this case the one and only disadvantage of the Fluke 289 not seeing the curve while logging, in contrast to your "Siglent SDM3045X" alternative, is also gone!

You can save any measurement you did with a perfect max-min-average overview and view it any time you like:

You have a perfect overview of the measurement itself with a perfect sinus-peak-measurement within 250µS and may use this feature also for inrush current:

...and you are flexible enough to move it around where it is needed. Furthermore you don't need anything else to check a mainboard, as you can measure everything and even caps up to 100mF (the same as Rigol DM3068 and Siglent SDM3065X) in contrast to 10mF of the Siglent SDM3045X, which could be problematic, when caps might be soldered in parallel. My HMC8012-G does only up to 500µF, but the biggest joke is the Keysight 34465A, which only does up to 100µF!

When you buy a used Fluke 289 pay attention to the SN, to get one with the newest FW, not having the "light-IR-issue" and one after the "leaking-cap-problematic".

Oh, I forgot the best thing: You will never ever need a "recovery tool", when you stuck on boot screen with a Siglent SDM!  :-DD ...ha ha ha - just kidding...! Not really, as my Siglent SDS1202X-E is useless with the newest FW!  :-BROKE

...but I guess you will end up with buying a Brymen 869s, being annoyed about the backlight time-issue and the disgusting rotary knob...but perfectly fine to start with, saving some money for the next buy...as we all know: you never have enough equipment and the next buy is always the most desired one... ;-)

Cheers!

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf