Author Topic: Help Deciding on new DSO  (Read 1380 times)

Offline BarrySteinTopic starter

Help Deciding on new DSO
« on: January 28, 2020, 02:03:52 am »
I am looking to upgrade my old Owon (PDS5022S) portable DSO. It's old, old enough that some new names have entered into the mix since then.
Asking here for some recommendations. I'll give a few metrics I am after.
1) Portable, so it has a internal batt
2) 100Mhz 2ch
3) 1GS/s DSO with enough memory to store a few 1-2sec captures
4) Has FFT function
5) Budget - $500max

Nice to haves:
1) Be nice if it had remote access software from PC, for controls & display (via wifi or BT or USB, etc), and works good with Windows 10.
2) 100MHz 4ch, or 200MHz 2ch, or 200MHz 4ch
3) 2GS/s DSO
4) Storing waveform captures on removeable memory (USB, SD/MMC, etc)

The names that keep popping up are:
GW Instek
Keysight
Rigol
Siglent

I have not used any of them so I have no idea which ones are most user friendly, which are least problematic, etc etc.
Any suggestions for me to look at?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Help Deciding on new DSO
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 02:22:10 am »
MicSig are the current go-to portable model. Not sure about the models in that price bracket.
THe Siglent SHS806 is under $500

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 06:16:44 am »
Yep Micsig are pretty much the best bang for buck you can get out of a portable scope.

They last a good while on battery, are small and light for easy carrying while providing the similar feature set and performance you might find in your typical Rigol 1000Z

They also have WiFi for easy connectivity, lets you operate the whole thing from a browser, you can plug in a USB mouse if you don't like the touchscreen.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 06:33:26 am »
Quote from: BarryStein

1GSa/s DSO with enough memory to store a few 1-2sec captures

few 1-2sec captures using what sampling speed?
If think sampling speed 1Gsa/s, even 1 second long capture need 1Gsample memory length what is LOT of.
So you need define what is needed sampling speed for these 1-2 second long captures before anyone can answer.

Your old scope is old portable (internal battery) tabletop scope and you did not tell anything you want also change to plain handheld scope. Micsig some models can think they can be both. So I assume you are finding tabletop scope with battery option so it can use also as portable but not only as true handheld. If think functionally scope with battery and what can use nearly like tabletop (touch screen control) and handheld  and IF 1GSa is not at all needed for 1-2s long capture some Micsig models are not really bad in this price range.

Of course there is also some Owon tabletops around inside your budget with battery option what are light year more modern than your ancient PDS5022S. Modern Owon scopes display TFTs quality, perhaps because it is part of well known Lilliput company who knows displays. Performance and features... not worst not best what you can read also as some good some bad.

It is pity most tabletop scopes do not have internal battery option like Owon have. There is still some random demand, even perhaps more if available.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:42:56 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 08:07:23 am »
I am looking to upgrade my old Owon (PDS5022S) portable DSO. It's old, old enough that some new names have entered into the mix since then.
Asking here for some recommendations. I'll give a few metrics I am after.
1) Portable, so it has a internal batt
2) 100Mhz 2ch
3) 1GS/s DSO with enough memory to store a few 1-2sec captures
4) Has FFT function
5) Budget - $500max

Nice to haves:
1) Be nice if it had remote access software from PC, for controls & display (via wifi or BT or USB, etc), and works good with Windows 10.
2) 100MHz 4ch, or 200MHz 2ch, or 200MHz 4ch
3) 2GS/s DSO
4) Storing waveform captures on removeable memory (USB, SD/MMC, etc)

The names that keep popping up are:
GW Instek
Keysight
Rigol
Siglent

I have not used any of them so I have no idea which ones are most user friendly, which are least problematic, etc etc.
Any suggestions for me to look at?
Welcome to EEVblog.

Almost word for word as you posted on AAC.
My recommendation remains the same.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 12:28:48 pm »
I can vouch for the MicSig. I have a TO1104 myself and it is very versatile scope which can be used as a regular bench oscilloscope as well.

There is a long thread about the TO1000 series:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/micsig-tablet-oscilloscope-tbook-mini-to1000/
Since the introduction there have been a few firmware updates which added new features like protocol listing.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:33:44 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 12:42:06 pm »
MicSig are the current go-to portable model. Not sure about the models in that price bracket.
THe Siglent SHS806 is under $500

When's your review video?   :popcorn: :popcorn:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:11:06 pm by Fungus »

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 01:52:47 pm »
keysight is absolutely beyond your price bracket, except if you want to buy the used or refurbished one
anyway why don't you go beyond 200MHz?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:55:10 pm by e0ne199 »

Offline BarrySteinTopic starter

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 04:21:41 pm »
Yes tautech, that was me on AAC.

What about the micsig  STO1152C. It's more of a benchtop then the AT models geared for automotive testing. I only mentioned automotive because I do sometimes drag it into my garage for a test of this or that, or even over to a neighbor who has a race car.

STO1152C (+batt +decoding) is over $700 though. Is it worth that $700+ price tag? Some of the descriptions on their site is a bit chinglish so it's hard to understand the descriptions there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf