Author Topic: Help running this 220v machine in my house  (Read 4669 times)

Offline administr4torTopic starter

• Contributor
Help running this 220v machine in my house
« on: January 09, 2023, 06:52:50 pm »
hello,
I am in North America, I have this plug and there is 240v in this plug

I want to buy this Steam cleaner which is 3000w@ 230v  but the pin is South asian/china connector pin,

is it possible to run that steamer in North america,

Please help me out friends. Product link https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003441027124.html

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 07:28:49 pm by BeBuLamar »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Help running this 220v machine in my house
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 07:40:44 pm »
Yes it's possible, just install the correct plug on it. I wouldn't bother with adapters.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 07:57:55 pm »
how will it work? the AC in those NEMA are two single phase 120v right? and the AC the device would work on single 230v AC.

Please remove this confusion.

this machine can work in 120v in USA but with converter adapter but it wont be then 3000watts then, it will be only 1400watts or so.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 08:12:02 pm by administr4tor »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 08:19:18 pm »
What you would do is wire the "L" and "N" conductors from the steamer to the "H1" and "H2" pins in the North America (NEMA) plug. You would connect the Earth conductor from the steamer to the Ground pin on the NEMA plug. You can ignore the neutral pin on the plug (if it has one).

For safety, you should also check that the "L" and "N" conductors on the steamer are properly isolated from any exposed parts. You should also check that any exposed metal parts are connected to the earth or ground conductor.

The following users thanked this post: administr4tor

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 08:25:32 pm »
how will it work? the AC in those NEMA are two single phase 120v right? and the AC the device would work on single 230v AC.

this machine can work in 120v in USA but with converter adapter but it wont be then 3000watts then, it will be only 1400watts or so.

Because it's how electricity works. The only difference between 240V in North America and 240V in other parts of the world is where the earth potential is connected. In Europe it's 240V to ground, in the USA/Canada it's 240V between two wires that area each 120V from ground. 240V is 240V, the appliance doesn't care, it's just a heating element.

If you run a 240V heating appliance on 120V you won't get half the rated power, you'll get 1/4 the rated power so in this case it would only be 750W.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 08:26:18 pm »
is there any adapter to do that? or I can make my own :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 08:27:41 pm »
Didn't somebody already post a link to an adapter? Otherwise just cut the plug off and install one that matches your receptacle.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 08:35:15 pm »

I would recommend to cut the plug off and wire up a proper NEMA plug that fits your socket. Adapters are always dodgy. If the NEMA plug has both neutral and ground pins, make sure to connect the green/yellow earth wire to ground and not to neutral.

FYI, I have done this with a 240 V, 3000 W appliance of my own, using a NEMA 6-20 plug and socket.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 08:44:13 pm »

I would recommend to cut the plug off and wire up a proper NEMA plug that fits your socket. Adapters are always dodgy. If the NEMA plug has both neutral and ground pins, make sure to connect the green/yellow earth wire to ground and not to neutral.

FYI, I have done this with a 240 V, 3000 W appliance of my own, using a NEMA 6-20 plug and socket.

please can you draw a picture in paint or anywhere so I can follow it what to do with that chinese pin and 4 holes NEMA.
Appreciate it.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 08:47:40 pm »
If its 3kw on 240v its gonna be nearer 750w on 120v

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 09:09:33 pm »

please can you draw a picture in paint or anywhere so I can follow it what to do with that chinese pin and 4 holes NEMA.
Appreciate it.
Hire an electrician to rewire the plug.

so many ways to fail and cause a danger, that cannot be communicated in a picture marked-up in paint

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 09:24:54 pm »
Also bear in mind that the color coding of wires in North America is different from what may be found in other parts of the world.

On an imported 220/230/240 V appliance you will commonly find brown=line, blue=neutral, green/yellow=earth. In North America you will find black=line 1, red=line 2, white=neutral, green=ground.

So the way you typically wire up a 240 V plug is brown to L1, blue to L2, green to E, nothing to N.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 11:05:11 pm »
Appreciate it.

If it is not obvious by now, I would suggest finding someone knowledgeable to help you. The most important thing is to connect the green wire to the ground terminal, in any plug that screw should be colored green so that it's obvious. The other two wires in the cord will probably be brown and blue, those go to the two live terminals in the plug, it doesn't matter which way around.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 11:18:26 pm »
Its a Chinese local market budget steam cleaner built into a fricking toolbox!

What even makes you think its got a ground wire?
I'd also bet the trigger switch on the gun isn't IP68 sealed, and if that's a 240V circuit (rather than isolated low voltage), I wouldn't care to use it.

It needs to be internally inspected by a competent appliance repair tech, and probably rewired to bring it up to western safety standards, if that's even possible.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 11:25:49 pm by Ian.M »

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2023, 11:36:41 pm »

Your picture of the "Chinese" plug is incorrectly labelled.
Although the Chinese standard plug is a little bit different to Australian plugs, it is "plug in" compatible.

The non-angled pin is [b[NEVER[/b] connected to Neutral---it is the "EARTH"(ground or PE) pin.
I'm not sure if the Chinese convention for the other pins is the same as that in Australia, but in Oz, the standard, if looking at the pins of a plug is RIGHT pin Active, LEFT pin Neutral, non-angled pin, Earth.
Note: After thinking I had that the correct way around, I still got Active & Neutral reversed. The Capitalised version is the correct one!

If you are looking at a power point on the wall, the positions of Active & Neutral are the mirror image of the above, but the Earth remains the same.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 11:57:04 pm by vk6zgo »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2023, 12:02:16 am »

I've also just noticed that the wand appears to have a telescopic sight on it?   ???

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2023, 12:07:56 am »

What even makes you think its got a ground wire?
I'd also bet the trigger switch on the gun isn't IP68 sealed, and if that's a 240V circuit (rather than isolated low voltage), I wouldn't care to use it.

It needs to be internally inspected by a competent appliance repair tech, and probably rewired to bring it up to western safety standards, if that's even possible.

It's probably grounded, even a lot of that random Chinese stuff isn't THAT bad, but it is worth checking. If the front panel is grounded then electically speaking it should be fairly safe. It's not the sort of thing you'd leave running unattended.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2023, 12:24:54 am »
I advise you to avoid 240V 3kva ChiCom cleaner....Mains voltage, water, steam, questionable connections,

Lack of safety earth or insulation fault can be lethal.

Just rent a non Chinese machine locally

j
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2023, 12:49:30 pm »
Nobody is concerned about the voltage rating?
3000W @ 220V = 16,13 Ohm, 240V -> 3570 W, 20% more heat.

and: simply no idea why this is questioned in "Test equipment"...
once you do it right, it works :-)

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2023, 01:01:22 pm »
You'd be surprised how much excess power water heating elements can typically withstand, if kept free from scale.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2023, 01:26:42 pm »
Great stuff. Had much fun viewing it. Made my day  :-DD
Nevertheless, it's a risk, if even a small one: due to the tolerances a 230V device has to withstand 253V without any damages. Whatever it is, kettle or TV.
once you do it right, it works :-)

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2023, 03:28:45 pm »
Nobody is concerned about the voltage rating?
3000W @ 220V = 16,13 Ohm, 240V -> 3570 W, 20% more heat.

and: simply no idea why this is questioned in "Test equipment"...
Power only scales as square of the voltage when the resistance is constant.  In the case of a heating element the resistance increases somewhat with temperature meaning the calculated 20% is likely higher than actual.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2023, 04:06:41 pm »
Power only scales as square of the voltage when the resistance is constant.  In the case of a heating element the resistance increases somewhat with temperature meaning the calculated 20% is likely higher than actual.

But the temperature of the heating element remains close to the temperature of boiling water.

I have several electric kettles and on the rating plate they all say "220 V 2520 W to 240 V 3000 W".

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2023, 04:19:16 pm »
I hope its actually *got* a heating element and isn't an electrode boiler . . .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf