Author Topic: Leader LBO 325 Oscilloscope [UPDATE]  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Matt HatterTopic starter

• Contributor
Leader LBO 325 Oscilloscope [UPDATE]
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:42:15 pm »
As I was perusing the local Craigslist, I stumbled across the only scope with a decent bandwidth (60MHz) and two channels that was reasonably priced ($50). It seems to be a smaller footprint, but otherwise appears to be fairly standard. It includes the probes and carrying case etc.

Anyone have any experience with this scope or Leader as a brand?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:03:27 am by Matt Hatter »

Offline etl17

• Contributor
Re: Leader LBO 325 Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:02:11 pm »
I used to work with this and other Leader scopes about a million years ago while I was still in Greece.
I would say that Leader used to be a fairly common brand and probably as popular as Hameg in Europe back then.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:24:45 pm »
its tiny!

sooooo cute!
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 09:39:37 pm »
Good score if it's functional.  :-+

• Contributor
Re: Leader LBO 325 Oscilloscope [UPDATE]
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 02:05:19 am »
I purchased the scope, and it is fully functional from every indication. I'll updated the post with pictures as soon as I'm able. Picked it up for $40! But man, this sucker is cute!

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:38:48 am »
I just sold 2 of them here on the forum.
Yes, it is a real cute scope and the quality of the knobs is superior to many other scopes.

Here are also a few pictures of the inside of the two I sold:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-leader-lbo-325-60-mhz-mini-oscilloscope-(for-beginner)/

Make sure it stays dust free inside for good airflow and it can last you for many years.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 01:08:33 pm »
 This one has the original carry case, probes, plastic front cover, the works. Looks like a few screws are missing from the chassis and crt bezel, but those are replaceable. I've just fiddled with it a little bit and already love it. Cant see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. To my knowledge these aren't too common stateside. The company I purchased it from bought it New decades ago. Their technician is from germany, so I guess that is how this little guy made it here. Cool story, cool scope, and a good price. Can't ask for much more. Any quirks to look out for?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 02:34:04 pm »
There was also a battery powered version available and I had one for the road for doing repair and service in remote areas. Leader was the "leader" in those days for these little scopes.

I still have one, brand new in original packaging, never used, never turned on and I will probably keep it forever.

Yours also looks like new, especially the case.

What to watch out for?
- Do not exceed input voltage, the front end is very sensitive to break. (Leader fixed one for me under warranty)
- Do not turn the brightness too high, it will burn in. Actually keep the brightness to the lowest level.
- And as I said before, if you have dust in your area, open up the scope once in a while and clean it out
- Chain it to your bench, people like it so much when they see it (soooo cute), they want to take it.

Enjoy your new scope.
The more you use it, the more you will love it!
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 02:44:51 pm »
It is in very good shape. The biggest issue at the moment is that several chassis screws are missing, so the bottom won't stay on outside of the bag. Also one of the plastic stand clips (the rear one) is broken but it was in the bag pouch. I personally think the screen is borderline oppressive at the current brightness, and I turned the intensity all the way down. Didn't notice much change. Problem with the small potentiometer perhaps?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 02:53:38 pm »
The brightness should go so far down, that you can not see the beam anymore.
Yes, probably the potentiometer needs some cleaning.

Did you notice, that you can push the three little knobs in and they then come out for easier turning?

If I remember right, the screws are M2.5 but may be M2

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 03:39:28 pm »
there should be a CRT bias adjustment internally that sets the intensity range, the missing screws would suggest that someone has been messing about

you find a service manual yet?
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 03:58:35 pm »
Yes, I did notice that. This is the picture from the ad, as I posted this before I purchased the scope.

Screws cost pennies, so I'll pick up some of both.

there should be a CRT bias adjustment internally that sets the intensity range, the missing screws would suggest that someone has been messing about

you find a service manual yet?

Yep, just search "LB0 325 Service manual", and it pops right up.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 04:14:29 pm »
well there it is VR1 (T-3591)    page 7

question is, why was someone fiddling with it and what else did they do?

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 04:30:07 pm »
well there it is VR1 (T-3591)    page 7

question is, why was someone fiddling with it and what else did they do?

The owner of the scope has been working in electronics since the 50's, so I have some level of faith that everything is probably ok. Thus far the scope has performed fine displaying sinewaves.,,

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 01:06:47 am »
i used leader scopes a lot back in the day. they were very reliable.

for $40 bucks, you did well. Congrats on your score!

I picked up a NOS LBO-516 recently myself and couldn't be happier with it.

Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf