Author Topic: Looking to buy a low cost multimeter.  (Read 2848 times)

Offline allikatTopic starter

• Contributor
Looking to buy a low cost multimeter.
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:25:42 am »
I'm looking to buy a low cost meter for occasional use, and having seen Dave's teardowns and explosions of cheap one-hung-low meters (seriously, that 100th episode explosion fest needs to be repeated for the 1k vid )  I'm looking at better brands, but because of a limited budget it'll have to be used.  Any recommendations for decent non-*censored* meters that will come up at similar price to the cheap ones?
I'm currently looking at a BK Precision 2805, a Fluke 77, Fluke 25 and a Fluke 8021B /8022B.  Which would you guys pick?  It's for 240 volt electrical and occasional electronics use.  Price: Under 20 pounds Sterling in "The old Dart"

The BK precision kind of piqued my interest, and no-one seems to have mentioned that one on the forums, hence the question.  (Yes, I did search with both search boxes for the 2805 this post is the only result.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:28:46 am by allikat »
Any engineer can readily identify 3 smells:
1: Coffee, 2: Escaped magic smoke, 3: Bullshit
(from an original post by John Coloccia)

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking to buy a low cost multimeter.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 03:24:44 pm »
Fluke 77 would be my first choice, followed by Fluke 25. The BK meter has a strange configuration and may not be up to par, safety wise.
The Fluke 8021B is getting old now and is more of a collection piece than a reliable everyday meter.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 03:39:36 pm »
what is your intended use of the meter ?
if you'll never ever come close to mains with the DMM , just playing around with low voltage, then just go ahead and buy one of those cheap meters. later on you might buy a "big-boy" safe and accurate meter once you'll need it.

Offline allikatTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 04:03:58 pm »
Mainly just some low voltage playing, but there are a few 240V issues here I want to track down, probably just ancient cabling.  So, I guess it'll have to be the later fluke and be just like everyone else.  If I can get some overtime before the old BK drops off Ebay, I may pick it up as well and do some teardown pics (or mail it to our favourite crazy Australian).  I guess there's limits how far back (and how cheap) you can go before safety rears its ugly head, especially when there's always the temptation to take those voltage markings to heart and poke around live AC.

now to find some real fluke probes to go with it as well...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:30:58 pm by allikat »
Any engineer can readily identify 3 smells:
1: Coffee, 2: Escaped magic smoke, 3: Bullshit
(from an original post by John Coloccia)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 05:03:55 pm »
Fluke leads are nothing special.  Get a good set of these if you need good leads on a budget http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digitek-Gold-Plated-Test-Leads-Probes-for-Multimeters-CAT-III-1000V-/171120395118

Offline daddario

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 07:37:33 pm »
Fluke leads are nothing special.  Get a good set of these if you need good leads on a budget http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digitek-Gold-Plated-Test-Leads-Probes-for-Multimeters-CAT-III-1000V-/171120395118

I'd stay away from those noname probes. The ubiquitous TL75 aren't that expensive and you can obtain even more modern models bearing, for example, a Pomona badge even cheaper.
Besides, the gold plating on those ebay ones is as useful as the clap, to quote a film by Tykwer. You'll just get rid of it within the first days and you can bet your farm on it, that whatever the layer under that gold is, it'll oxidise in open air like rubidium. ( :
I bought myself a proper set of Fluke probes long before I could afford a Fluke meter, they cost about as much as my DMM did at the time, but it was worth every penny.
Never skimp on connectors or leads.
My competence in HF electronics over 30MHz rolls off 3dB/oct.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf