Author Topic: Magnova oscilloscope  (Read 19444 times)

Martin72, dmendesf, mr.os, tv84, bux98 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SarielTopic starter

• Contributor
Magnova oscilloscope
« on: April 05, 2024, 04:03:02 pm »
Does anyone have any clue what these Magnova oscilloscope might be?

(See attached screenshot)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Mortymore

Offline axantas

• Regular Contributor
Re: Magnova oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 07:25:38 am »
Just got. the invitation as well. How could they hide this from us. No clue. There is one single hit on Google. This thread.  :D

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Andre77

• Contributor
    • Batronix
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 11:02:51 am »
It's great that the secrecy surrounding the Magnova worked for so long!

Okay, let's fuel the rumours with some insider information...

Exclusive previews for you, only here on the eevblog:
  • Unique: The Magnova breaks new ground. It's not just another oscilloscope, everything has been developed from scratch. Give the Magnova 5 minutes and you will be amazed by its unique concept and new possibilities.
  • Precise: 12-bit ADCs, as is now becoming more common in the new oscilloscopes? I can see a 200-microvolt signal sharply and in detail with the components only one microvolt high on the display (yes microvolts, not millivolts)... How is that possible? Are 12-bit ADCs sufficient for this or is something else needed?
  • Fast: Over 12 million waveforms per second in history mode with more than 3.8 million waveforms in the history memory? These are just two of the unbeatable specs.
  • Silent: Passive cooling with this performance? Is that possible? Perhaps with a full metal housing and all heat sources directly connected to it?
  • Display Dimensions: Wondering about the size of the display? Any guesses? ... It's a tad larger. It boasts full HD with 1920x1080 pixels. It also interfaces seamlessly and looks really great with external devices, such as big (touch) monitors or projectors.
  • Made in Germany: Development, circuit boards, housing comes from Germany... Okay, the microswitches come from Denmark. Did you know that the Danes are the second happiest country in the world? Some of this happiness will also be passed on to Magnova users... By the way, who actually installs microswitches in an oscilloscope? Don't they always use silicone switching mats?
The price? Not cheap, but fair and affordable for ambitious electronics enthusiasts. Much cheaper than it seems with these specifications.

We will be presenting the Magnova oscilloscopes for the first time at our booth at embedded world! I know, for many readers of the eevblog forum Nuremberg is a bit far... We will of course post further information on our Batronix website starting on Tuesday.

See you on Tuesday!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 11:23:55 am by Andre77 »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Mortymore, pdenisowski, mwb1100, axantas

Offline axantas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 06:46:51 pm »
You know, what I miss these times? "Secrets" and surprises like this. Usually there are a lot of leaks and everyone knows everything about possible rumors and what it will be at the end.
You managed to keep that secret.  :-+

...thinking about to book a ticket to Nuremberg, just out of curiosity. (...not THAT far from Berlin, where I actually stay)

The specs look stunning btw.

Offline Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 07:26:03 pm »
is magnova the name of the company? i haven't been able to find anything on them. i'm intrigued!

i also wanted to see if maybe the silhouette was a darkened but not completely black image, but this was the most detail i could get. looks like it might be touch screen and no knobs? the aspect ratio of the blue rectangle does look like 16:9. funny looking base too!

Offline SK

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 10:42:59 pm »
I don't know what is the harder work...

...developing a scope "like this" (...what ever it is  !! ?? ;-)

=> or inventing a name for it which everybody on our planet leads to exactly "HERE" ;-)

BTX => You make my day !!

Unluckily as I am, I only will be able to get to Nürnberg (via the A6 ( and all of its actual construction sites :-) ) on Wednesday

So propably i already read about it during this day…

CU on 10.04.

Offline Fried Chicken

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 11:29:39 pm »
It's great that the secrecy surrounding the Magnova worked for so long!

Okay, let's fuel the rumours with some insider information...

Exclusive previews for you, only here on the eevblog:
  • Unique: The Magnova breaks new ground. It's not just another oscilloscope, everything has been developed from scratch. Give the Magnova 5 minutes and you will be amazed by its unique concept and new possibilities.
  • Precise: 12-bit ADCs, as is now becoming more common in the new oscilloscopes? I can see a 200-microvolt signal sharply and in detail with the components only one microvolt high on the display (yes microvolts, not millivolts)... How is that possible? Are 12-bit ADCs sufficient for this or is something else needed?
  • Fast: Over 12 million waveforms per second in history mode with more than 3.8 million waveforms in the history memory? These are just two of the unbeatable specs.
  • Silent: Passive cooling with this performance? Is that possible? Perhaps with a full metal housing and all heat sources directly connected to it?
  • Display Dimensions: Wondering about the size of the display? Any guesses? ... It's a tad larger. It boasts full HD with 1920x1080 pixels. It also interfaces seamlessly and looks really great with external devices, such as big (touch) monitors or projectors.
  • Made in Germany: Development, circuit boards, housing comes from Germany... Okay, the microswitches come from Denmark. Did you know that the Danes are the second happiest country in the world? Some of this happiness will also be passed on to Magnova users... By the way, who actually installs microswitches in an oscilloscope? Don't they always use silicone switching mats?
The price? Not cheap, but fair and affordable for ambitious electronics enthusiasts. Much cheaper than it seems with these specifications.

We will be presenting the Magnova oscilloscopes for the first time at our booth at embedded world! I know, for many readers of the eevblog forum Nuremberg is a bit far... We will of course post further information on our Batronix website starting on Tuesday.

See you on Tuesday!

That is a surprising amount of Candor shown for a marketing email.  Wow.

Offline EvgenyG

• Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024, 12:28:52 am »
Perhaps it is great that they haven't started SDS800X sales here in Australia. Another option to consider. I guess we will see other companies introducing entry level 12 bit scopes some time this year. Competition is good for end user :)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 12:44:48 am »
Perhaps it is great that they haven't started SDS800X sales here in Australia. Another option to consider. I guess we will see other companies introducing entry level 12 bit scopes some time this year. Competition is good for end user :)

They say "not cheap" so I think you'll be comparing it against the SDS2000X series.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2024, 12:51:21 am »

They say "not cheap" so I think you'll be comparing it against the SDS2000X series.
Was 8bit.
Replaced with SDS2000X Plus with 8 or 10bit modes
12bit = SDS2000X HD released in 2022.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline EvgenyG

• Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2024, 01:29:19 am »

We will find out today. Anyone attending Embeddedworld in person? Would be great to see some photos of this new mystery scope.

Offline emerald13

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 06:30:47 am »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 07:00:06 am »
Well, here you go ;-) https://www.batronix.com/shop/batronix/magnova/index.html

Wow!! I don't know what I find more impressive -- the amount of original solutions, the fact that Batronix as a relatively small company could pull this off, or the fact that they could keep it a secret throughout a multi-year design effort.

I bet the Batronix engineers will be glad that they are finally allowed to leave the secret underground lab bunker again, at least to take a quick break. ;)

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2024, 07:16:32 am »
Has anyone managed to liberate it? haha.

Looking good although personally I'm really not a fan of having the BNCs on the side.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2024, 08:10:26 am »
In many environments, reflections of room/window lights reduce the visibility of information on the screen. The standard way of reducing that was introduced in the early 80s: high-end workstations had black on white displays, which were much much better than orange/green on black glass TTYs.

So, can the colour scheme be changed to reduce the effect of reflections?

Shame if not; it looks like there are some interesting innovations in that scope.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2024, 08:15:59 am »
What does that mean?

Sample rate    
Single channel mode: 1 GSa/s
Dual channel mode: 1.6 GSa/s

Isn't that a bit underwhelming for the price, or am I missing something?

Btw.

100MHz Version:
€ 3,568.81  20% discount
€ 2,399.- net (VAT Details)
€ 2,854.81 incl. 19% VAT

200MHz Version:
€ 4,758.81  30% discount
€ 2,799.- net (VAT Details)
€ 3,330.81 incl. 19% VAT

350MHz Version:
€ 5,948.81  30% discount
€ 3,499.- net (VAT Details)
€ 4,163.81 incl. 19% VAT

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 11:49:20 am by Aldo22 »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2024, 08:28:28 am »
In many environments, reflections of room/window lights reduce the visibility of information on the screen. The standard way of reducing that was introduced in the early 80s: high-end workstations had black on white displays, which were much much better than orange/green on black glass TTYs.

You are showing your age. All the cool kids have gone back to "dark themes" years ago.  :P

More seriously: I don't think I want a paperwhite background on a scope display. Seems to me that the large areas of light-emitting white will "drown out" the traces, especially weak, rare-event traces.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2024, 08:30:14 am »
Taking over where Micsig left off...?

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2024, 08:36:46 am »
What does that mean?

Sample rate    
Single channel mode: 1 GSa/s
Dual channel mode: 1.6 GSa/s

Isn't that a bit underwhelming for the price, or am I missing something?

It's 4 * 1 GSa/s if you use all channels, or 2 * 1.6 GSa/s if you use only two of them, in my understanding. Seems alright for a platform which goes up to 350 MHz bandwidth?

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Aldo22

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2024, 09:01:28 am »
It's 4 * 1 GSa/s if you use all channels, or 2 * 1.6 GSa/s if you use only two of them, in my understanding.

OK, but then I would write it more clearly if I were Batronix.
With the Rigol DHO1074 they write:

Sample rate
1 channel with 2 GSa/s
2 channel with each 1 GSa/s
4 channel with each 500 MSa/s

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2024, 09:16:16 am »

You are showing your age. All the cool kids have gone back to "dark themes" years ago.  :P

More seriously: I don't think I want a paperwhite background on a scope display. Seems to me that the large areas of light-emitting white will "drown out" the traces, especially weak, rare-event traces.

Yes, the traces are an interesting case, which could go either way. Certainly reflections can be a pain on CRT scopes.

I have two black-on-white scopes.
  • Tektronix THS720, for its isolated inputs. The screen is a relatively crude LCD, so generalising the experience to a modern scope is not useful
  • A Digilent Analog Discovery. That uses a computer monitor for display, and black-on-white works well

So, wouldn't it be nice if modern scopes/technology avoided problems that older scopes suffered due to hardware technology limitations.

Let's make new mistakes - that's a good motto for life in general.

(Oh yes, I'm a professional with a job to do, not an effin DJ using tech to pull birds :) And especially not an influencer paid shill)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 09:18:14 am by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2024, 09:31:06 am »
And especially not an influencer paid shill
:o
Whom are they, they should be reported !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2024, 09:34:31 am »
Taking over where Micsig left off...?

It looks like this.
I would borrow one if I ever get the chance. ;)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2024, 09:35:39 am »

I think you misunderstood. I took that as a humorous reference to the type of people who advocate cool "dark themes".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2024, 09:41:39 am »

:)

Although ebastler's comment is right, in the light of another thread I can't simply can't resist ...

According to the kewl kids, that is fully and unambiguously explained by

Sorry :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 09:45:56 am by tggzzz »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf