Author Topic: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2  (Read 88227 times)

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2020, 06:55:10 am »
Yeah i made the mistake of ordering the wrong one. Have not looked at the listing very much, mostly went off the photos. But then i got it and it turns out it doesn't have touch. :palm:
So yeah im gonna have to order a new one.

Not the end of the world - it can also be controlled via the 3 menu buttons, or over USB.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2020, 09:27:59 am »
I found this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/480x320-Display-Module-ST7796S-Driver/dp/B08C5FFX9P/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=480x320+ST7796S&qid=1596014221&s=electronics&sr=1-2 from DONGKERUS

It looks just like the one I got but it's $19 :(

You'd also have to remove the SD card reader but that's no big deal IMHO.

[EDIT] I also just found this one on AliExpress, please check but I think it's the right one. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:22:07 pm by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2020, 11:50:36 am »
Can anyone point me to a dimensioned drawing of the V2 PCB (Tindie version) so I can work on my 3D printed case ideas?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2020, 12:05:10 pm »
There is also a new, nice metal case being included with one of the NanoVNA clones.

I wish that an upgrade pacage was available with the case and the compatible screen. A larger size would be great, with a metal case and an appropriate substrate for the current nanovna.  Worth making, if anybody has metal fabrication skills.

I found this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/480x320-Display-Module-ST7796S-Driver/dp/B08C5FFX9P/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=480x320+ST7796S&qid=1596014221&s=electronics&sr=1-2 from DONGKERUS

It looks just like the one I got but it's $19 :(

You'd also have to remove the SD card reader but that's no big deal IMHO.

It would be great to have a SD card slot for saving calibration setups long term while operating portable. That is a feature I would appreciate in the firmware a lot.

I am concerned about heat in a plastic case. Unless it has ventilation.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:09:24 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2020, 12:29:00 pm »
It would be great to have a SD card slot for saving calibration setups long term while operating portable. That is a feature I would appreciate in the firmware a lot.

I am concerned about heat in a plastic case. Unless it has ventilation.
The 4" display I'm using has a 4 pin connector at the left edge but there's no corresponding connector on the NanoVNA V2 so it's all redundant.  I will allow for air flow through my case design which, in case it's not obvious, is a design for the standard NanoVNA V2 with the 4" display fitted as per my recent pictures.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2020, 01:12:19 pm »
This sounds like a great little mechanical project. I have 2 of the 4" displays comming and I'm good with verniers and inventor.

I'm thinking maybe I can come up with a printed mount of sorts that can be used to mount into a standard extruded case.

If they're not here by the weekend I might try and model the parts anyway and see what, if anything, I can come up with

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2020, 04:45:21 pm »
For my second try i ordered this display instead: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000966874873.html
Its 15 bucks with shipping from Europe.

Really made sure it has touch this time. So hope it works out.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2020, 07:29:28 pm »
For my second try i ordered this display instead: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000966874873.html
Its 15 bucks with shipping from Europe.

Really made sure it has touch this time. So hope it works out.
I think that's a good one, hope it works out for you.

Offline sn0w_gl0be

« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2020, 06:38:21 pm »
Hey everyone,

First post here (yay) after lurking for a little bit. Since the authorized dealer is on Tindie, is the one on Amazon by Aursinc just a fancy clone?

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2020, 04:21:19 am »
Yes all amazon, ebay, and aliexpress sellers are now selling bad clones. I'm getting emails about defective NanoVNA V2 devices every week now and they all turn out to be clones. If you have to buy a clone go for the 3.2'' version. This one has the least defect reports and seems to be well built.

Btw there will be a small hardware upgrade soon (1 month or so) that will allow 2x faster sweep and lower noise. It will be called V2-N and will only be released outside of China to keep off the clones for a while.
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2020, 04:35:49 am »
Do you mind if I order an exception unit?
Just PM me for a free sample. I think I'll have a lot of prototypes ready in a few weeks.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2020, 05:46:31 am »
I'm interested in it as well, but I'm also ready to pay for it.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2020, 08:09:07 am »
Yes all amazon, ebay, and aliexpress sellers are now selling bad clones. I'm getting emails about defective NanoVNA V2 devices every week now and they all turn out to be clones. If you have to buy a clone go for the 3.2'' version. This one has the least defect reports and seems to be well built.

Btw there will be a small hardware upgrade soon (1 month or so) that will allow 2x faster sweep and lower noise. It will be called V2-N and will only be released outside of China to keep off the clones for a while.

Layout change or just a BOM change? Something that could be retrofitted into an existing device?
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2020, 08:33:58 am »
It's a slight architectural change, so layout is modified and firmware support will need some work too. It's mainly ADF4350 fast lock, reworking the mixer signal path and noise reductions.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, thinkfat

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2020, 11:23:46 am »
I'm interested in it as well, but I'm also ready to pay for it.
Same here - price seems very fair for what it is, and I appreciate the efforts trying to stop people getting burnt by bad clones. Are there any plans for a case etc too? Or is 3d printing one the way to go?

Offline sn0w_gl0be

« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2020, 01:49:11 pm »
I'll echo this. I don't mind buying what would be my third NanoVNA (first official one) assuming it's ~$100.

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2020, 03:41:51 pm »

OwO ,

I have older eyes so the need for a larger screen 4" ?
Also no printer here so would like a case also .
I can wait , I would prefer to buy from You and or from at least one of the developers [ seems like there are 2 or more ? ]

Thanks for your efforts

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2020, 03:51:18 pm »
Gabriel,

Your organization should put together a case, 4 inch screen package with a "mother board" to mount both the existing NanoVNA and the posts to keep it all together on. You could sell it direct.

Frankly, I am so overjoyed to have such a useful tool, I want to support your efforts by buying all my accessories through you..

OwO ,

I have older eyes so the need for a larger screen 4" ?
Also no printer here so would like a case also .
I can wait , I would prefer to buy from You and or from at least one of the developers [ seems like there are 2 or more ? ]

Thanks for your efforts
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2020, 03:57:17 pm »
I don't sell these, I'm just one of the engineers. I think the V2-N will be priced basically the same as the current V2 on Tindie.

There are plans for a 4 inch version, but it will be a major redesign and not just swapping in a 4 inch display (which I'll leave to the clones). The aim is 5x faster sweep (500 points/s). We might hire someone from here to do the enclosure design.

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2020, 05:46:43 pm »
Oh ok .
I have no problem if getting more / costs more , bigger screen for old eyes & case .
Hopefully I could get on a mailing list of this version of one of these ?

Just sold my Sark110 because the screen was too small , and saw these around - NanoVNA .
Have a miniVNA Pro , MFJ-269 , had a Timewave TZ-900 .
Besides what ever bench gear I can afford , mainly broken and get twice the fun out of them - learn how to fix and then use , the best of both worlds .

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2020, 11:37:04 am »
We are working on getting a 3D case included with the current 2.8 inch version and maybe even a battery. We didn't go with a metal enclosure because it was found to worsen port to port isolation.

Are there any plans for a case etc too? Or is 3d printing one the way to go?

The following users thanked this post: cdev, TimNJ

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2020, 02:30:56 am »
We are working on getting a 3D case included with the current 2.8 inch version and maybe even a battery. We didn't go with a metal enclosure because it was found to worsen port to port isolation.

Are there any plans for a case etc too? Or is 3d printing one the way to go?

I know you are not the seller, but can you suggest to make the case available standalone too? I would like to buy a case for my V2.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2020, 06:24:54 pm »
So we ended up getting permission from one of the members of the community to use their 3D printed case design. I don't think it will be sold standalone but you can always just 3D print it.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2020, 06:38:16 pm »
I have now prototypes of the 4 inch version with 400 points/s sweep rate. The noise floor stays at around -80dB up to 1.5GHz even with the faster sweep. The DSP code can go up to 500 points/s but the UI refresh almost doesn't keep up when the 4 inch display is used, so it'll have to be 400 points/s.

V2-N will be renamed to V2 Plus to avoid confusion with another NanoVNA variant. I think it'll be available in a week or two. The improvements are 200 points/s sweep (compared to 100 points/s for the current V2) and a bit lower noise floor.

The 3D enclosure and battery option will also be available in a week or two, maybe a bit earlier than the V2 Plus.

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 05:07:20 pm by OwO »

The following users thanked this post: KD0CAC John, dr.diesel, thm_w, Kean, phs, 2N3055, czorgormez

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2020, 08:12:39 pm »
So we ended up getting permission from one of the members of the community to use their 3D printed case design. I don't think it will be sold standalone but you can always just 3D print it.

Are you referring to ch_scr's case, post #2 of this thread?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf