Author Topic: Need advice with a MSO  (Read 1248 times)

Offline pisoiuTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Need advice with a MSO
« on: February 22, 2022, 05:06:37 pm »
Hi all,
I know there are plenty of topics about this but my questions are somehow related to this precise moment in time, so I need a fresh opinion.
For my work I need a new scope, since the old one (100mhz 2 ch hantek) is not suitable for some of my problems.
Considering all technical parameters I need, MSO7000 series from Rigol would do the job, 4 analog+16 digital channels.
At this moment they have a promotion with 10% price drop and free options bundle, consisting of basically all serial decoders (can, i2c, spi, etc) and waveform generator.
I would need 500mhz bw, but unfortunately my pocket is tight right now and I must find...ehem..alternate solutions.
All their scopes from this series (100, 250, 350 and 500mhz bw) have the same hardware as far as I can see in their specs.
Question one is if these models can be hacked to 500mhz. I found other topics which says they can, but they are a bit old and maybe they removed the easy access to scope files.
Another question is if there are any other offers in the market with better value than this one. I know about siglent but those do not offer any included serial decoders (which costs a lot), and of course, Keysight, R&S and others like those are way out of my possibilities.
Thanks.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Need advice with a MSO
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 06:45:52 pm »

Another question is if there are any other offers in the market with better value than this one. I know about siglent but those do not offer any included serial decoders (which costs a lot), and of course, Keysight, R&S and others like those are way out of my possibilities.

All Siglent DSO's that offer decoding have I2C,SPI,UART, CAN and LIN decoding and trigger suites included for free.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline pisoiuTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 07:22:04 pm »
You're right, my mistake. Only some requires license (CAN FD, Flexray) and LA is also optional, for SDS5000x series. For SDS2000X plus the decoders requires licenses. Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 07:24:55 pm by pisoiu »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 07:38:58 pm »
You're right, my mistake. Only some requires license (CAN FD, Flexray) and LA is also optional, for SDS5000x series. For SDS2000X plus the decoders requires licenses. Am I wrong?
SDS2000X Plus has I2C,SPI,UART, CAN and LIN decoding free as does all Siglent DSO's that offer decodes.

Further info:
SDS5000X has individual vertical controls.
SDS2000X Plus has a shared vertical control.
Both 10" touch display.
They both use the same SPL2016 MSO probe set however LA license for MSO is more expensive for SDS5000X. Don't ask me why, I have asked Siglent to align the pricing better.

But, you can have SDS2104X Plus for $1400 basic unit however SDS5304X is $3569 basic unit.
Either can be enhanced to 500 MHz however SDS2000X Plus only permits the use of 2 channels at fast timebase settings and defaults to 350 MHz when 3 or more channels are active.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: pisoiu, ozkarah

Offline ozkarah

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 08:01:16 pm »
SDS5000X has individual vertical controls.

Sorry for asking. What is individual vertical control?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 08:09:52 pm »
Every channel got it´s dedicated vertical position knob, instead one for all.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 08:36:35 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, ozkarah

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf