Author Topic: need some advice on what quality of oscope i might want to look at. future proof  (Read 333 times)

Offline NCC74656Topic starter

right now i do some amp tinkering, measuring audio signals, and some back emf stuff.  i have a cheapo x10 probe on a 30.00 hand held thing.
id like to be able to read canbus networks on cars, do more IC repair on motherbaords/video cards, and i think id want a 2ch, unless you all think a 4ch would be a need  case id run into?

i dont want to spend an arm and a leg so im looking at the used market on ebay - i just dont quite know what package spec envelope id want to focus on.   also, the idea of a battery powered scope is nice in that i cant short it to anything but maybe just some info on how to isolate a scope so it wont short while measuring?

thoughts?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Second hand isn't worth it now the new 12-bit entry level 'scopes have arrived.

The new Rigol DHO804 can be powered by a phone charger and hacked to decode CAN Bus.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
There's no such thing as future proof. There's only adjusting your budget for more power/features.

Do you have a budget range?

There are some great options for 12 bit scopes under $500 including 4 channel scopes. If you're doing audio, and plan on doing other protocols, you definitely would be better off with 4 channels.

Your question about probing sounds like you probably need to look into differential probes.

eBay is a bad idea. There's rarely anything good there, and when there is, it might cost more than something newer/better.

It sounds like you should do some studying and get more acquainted with scopes and probing.

Paul is a member here and makes some great videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

This thread is a great learning spot, and also has a ton of info on a great entry level scope: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/

Micsig would be a good option to look at for battery operated/portable scopes. But keep in mind that there's always a trade off from one brand or scope to the next.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Fungus, Sensorcat

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Yep. Micsig is truly "battery powered" and there's an automotive version with extra features and includes special cables for connecting to cars.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline J-R

• Super Contributor
Instead of floating the scope by going battery powered, you can use two scope channels and math to create a differential probe.  Or buy an actual differential probe, of which Micsig is a popular option.

Are you wanting "handheld" or "portable"?

Do you actually need to decode CAN bus, or just have a look at the signals to check for faults?  A lot of CAN bus troubleshooting can be done without decoding.

For the money, you do get a lot with the new Rigol & Siglent 800 series scopes, especially when you consider hacking.  But what if your price target is $200?

eBay is still a great place to find deals, but you just can't treat it like a regular store.  Set up search alerts and wait a few weeks to see if something turns up.

With regard to "future proof", it's for sure a loaded term.  A wrench might be "future proof" because it's always going to be useful by doing the same job forever.  So in that sense, even test equipment could be "future proof" depending on various factors.  There is a reason why some used test gear can still demand a premium.

Products that need software and/or drivers to function should get extra scrutiny before purchasing, however.  In my opinion, Ethernet and serial are good physical interfaces, GPIB is acceptable, USB-only could be problematic.  Also look for LXI and SCPI support.  Also, even if the device has Ethernet but still requires proprietary software, you might get pretty far with virtualization (if you still have the software), but a proper open standard is better.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf