Author Topic: New Scope Demoboard from Batronix  (Read 34339 times)

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Re: New Scope Demoboard from Batronix
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2023, 02:03:51 pm »
good morning,
after I ordered the demo board I got an email asking if I wanted to recieve a printed copy.
I answerd with yes, please and now it is on its way, hopefully will be dilivered today.

Regards, Ronald

Same here. Mine is also out for delivery today.

Edit: Got it. Smaller than I expected, which is nice.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 04:41:46 pm by KungFuJosh »
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: JOSM

Online pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2023, 01:34:32 am »
after I ordered the demo board I got an email asking if I wanted to recieve a printed copy.

Same thing here - very nice follow-up from Batronix
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2023, 08:50:00 pm »
I'll be working through the rest of the tutorial soon, probably on my summer vacation in two weeks.
Maybe I will also borrow a Rigol DS1054Z from work, then I would have three different scopes at home to try out.
The pictures or possibly short clips I will then upload to google drive and then post the link.
Then I will probably write a short conclusion and then...
..Yes what do you do with it then.
I have already found ways to not let it gather dust, for example my Bode Plot Speed Test thread.
Also I think about taking the board with me to work and make it available to new young colleagues, so they can familiarize themselves with our oscilloscopes.
I think it was already a worthwhile investment.
You (batronix) should perhaps think again about not being able to offer the board permanently for under 200.
I find the board super, but whether I would have struck just as fast and without thinking, it would cost 240€...

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, JOSM, Andre77

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2023, 12:47:53 am »
Filtered/non-filtered output is interesting

Yup. I finally started messing with this now that I have the printed manual. I was plugged into the wrong BNC, and the non-filtered output made that pretty clear. Oops.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2023, 02:11:52 am »
This has been pretty awesome so far. I've learned some useful stuff (including things the manual didn't suggest, like cheating and hitting the set to 50% option in the trigger). I also found the invert background option by mistake.  :-DD
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 02:27:27 am by KungFuJosh »

The following users thanked this post: Martin72, Andre77

Offline Andre77

• Contributor
    • Batronix
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2023, 08:41:38 am »
You (batronix) should perhaps think again about not being able to offer the board permanently for under 200.
I find the board super, but whether I would have struck just as fast and without thinking, it would cost 240€...

You are probably right about that too. We will reconsider the planned price after the end of the introductory offer. The sales figures are higher than expected and that should lead to savings for the next production batch. Maybe we can make the introductory price the permanent normal price soon after the end of the introductory offer.

Our friends at BatterFly have now also included the demo board in their distribution. For all those from Italy and around, it is now also available here:
https://www.batterfly.com/shop/it/batronix-bxd001

The following users thanked this post: Jacon, KungFuJosh, Martin72

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2023, 10:32:02 pm »
Setting up the trigger for the letter B was a little tricky as the trigger setup wasn't straight forward. But I guess I know how to do it now. 🤷

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2023, 10:35:09 pm »
You are further along than me, I had tried it and put it aside for later... 8)

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2023, 11:50:50 pm »
You are further along than me, I had tried it and put it aside for later... 8)

I'm interested in trying the SPL2016 clone I got from eBay for $40. I don't have a 3D printer, and I like how they did it. I'm assuming another member of this site made it. 😉
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 11:53:12 pm by KungFuJosh »

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2023, 11:52:20 pm »
I also found some leftover German in the English manuals. I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but this one stood out.

The following users thanked this post: Andre77

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2023, 12:40:16 am »
Spoiler alert...

To get the 3.2 SPI interface test to work, I had to set the SS/CS channel CLK Timeout.

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2023, 02:05:41 am »
I'm happy to report that the SPL2016 clone works.

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski, Martin72

Online pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2023, 12:09:21 pm »
I also found some leftover German in the English manuals. I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but this one stood out.

(laughs)  That's happened to me before - English spell check doesn't catch "bis" because it's also (technically) an English word. 

That said, I don't think I've ever heard or seen anyone actually use "bis" in spoken or written English.  I only (used to) ever see it in the Latin quote "bis dat qui cito dat"

You might want to let Batronix know:  they were extremely responsive about fixing a typo I found in the original German manual.
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2023, 02:30:59 pm »
You might want to let Batronix know:  they were extremely responsive about fixing a typo I found in the original German manual.

@Andre77 from Batronix monitors this thread, so when he checks he'll see. 😉

Offline Andre77

• Contributor
    • Batronix
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2023, 03:23:03 pm »
To get the 3.2 SPI interface test to work, I had to set the SS/CS channel CLK Timeout.

Your screenshot looks like you have an error on channel 1 (Chip Select). The level should not drift away like that. Have you switched on the AC coupling on this channel or do you have a contact problem?

If the chip signal is detected correctly, it also works without a CLK timeout. The CS type "CLK timeout" can be used if the CS signal is not measured (e.g. because you have a 2-channel oscilloscope or do not want to use more than 2 channels for the SPI measurement).

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline Andre77

• Contributor
    • Batronix
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2023, 03:34:17 pm »

Thank you for the info! The error is now fixed.

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski, KungFuJosh

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2023, 03:35:38 pm »

Your screenshot looks like you have an error on channel 1 (Chip Select). The level should not drift away like that. Have you switched on the AC coupling on this channel or do you have a contact problem?

If the chip signal is detected correctly, it also works without a CLK timeout. The CS type "CLK timeout" can be used if the CS signal is not measured (e.g. because you have a 2-channel oscilloscope or do not want to use more than 2 channels for the SPI measurement).

Oops! Looks like I missed a step. In the bottom left corner it says I had CH1 set with DC coupling. I'll go back and try that again before I move on to the RF stuff.

Thanks,
Josh

Edit: Was I supposed to have CH1 on AC also on reply 136?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 09:59:12 pm by KungFuJosh »

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2023, 03:48:39 pm »
Ordered mine this morning at breakfast. TEA is watching me... :-//

The following users thanked this post: duckduck, Andre77

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2023, 03:52:51 pm »
Ordered mine this morning at breakfast. TEA is watching me... :-//

Like the rest of us, it's probably @Martin72 's fault! 🤣

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2023, 07:37:57 pm »

Much better now. It works with "active low" and clk timeout.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2023, 09:55:22 pm »
Well, I guess I'm done. I don't have a tee adapter, and I'm not gonna get one right now just for the last test.

That was very informative, and I enjoyed running through all the tests. Hopefully, I'll be able to break it out again eventually and be able to trigger most of it without any of the hints. 😬

I could only find 1 ground spring quickly, so I only used 1. 🤷

The following users thanked this post: Martin72, mathstudi, Andre77

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2023, 02:00:52 am »
I have a dumb question.

The traces in the photos in the manual are a lot prettier than the ones in the images I posted. Is that mostly because they're using a fancier scope, fancier probes, or both?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2023, 02:06:36 am »
I have a dumb question.

The traces in the photos in the manual are a lot prettier than the ones in the images I posted. Is that mostly because they're using a fancier scope, fancier probes, or both?
Turn Show Menu to ON.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2023, 02:35:15 am »
Turn Show Menu to ON.  ;)

While I assume that has nothing to do with what I actually asked, I also don't see that as an option anywhere in my current firmware. 😉

Edit: I see what you meant (Include Menu) in the save/recall menu. But no, that has nothing to do with what I was asking.

I'm referring to how clean their lines are compared to mine in the attached example.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 03:19:13 am by KungFuJosh »

Online pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2023, 02:42:24 am »

Almost all of the screenshot examples are from the R&S MXO4, and it's a very, very nice scope :) 

The screenshots I make with my MXO4 are more or less identical to the Batronix manual.  And I've been using junk probes for my experiments.

One difference may be that the Batronix examples have sample rate at 5 Gsa/s and your scope seems to show 2 Gsa/s.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf