Author Topic: New Tektronix 3 Series MDO  (Read 29621 times)

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
Re: New Tektronix 3 Series MDO
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2019, 12:41:02 pm »
I found these videos

Well those were handy. I'm impressed by how slow their UI response is, combined with some of the things it lacks over the 5 series I guess that puts the 4 off the table as a backup scope.

Hopefully someone smashes the screen on a 5 and flogs it off cheap at some point, the math & analysis features do look nice.

As others have said, you really have to wonder if any of the Tek folk have used a current Keysight 3-6k series, sure the Tek wins on probes & some of the neat analysis you can do on the 5 series, but actual usability looks much worse.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2019, 08:53:25 am »
BTW at these prices, you are usually spending someone else's money on the scope anyway.

I don't think Tek are getting any business at all from people spending their own money. Not hobbyists, not one-man bands, not small business with a few employees.
They may not care, and that's fine of course, chase the big end of town is not a bad option, but it's why no one really seems to care about the new "Series" scopes.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2019, 09:02:28 am »
Before the price release it's was a nice ride.

Now we came down back to earth and it's business as usual...

At least, I wish the hobby market adopts the bigger screens layout.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 01:33:51 pm by tv84 »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, PixieDust

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2019, 01:35:30 pm »
I had a 4 series in the lab last week - nice scope definitely.  But by the time you have a decent spec. it is actually cheaper to buy the 5 series..  :palm:

Struggling to understand what the 4 brings to the table, the only reason the rep could come up with was that it was 'smaller' and lab space is at premium.

I didn't even bother turning on the 3 series.

https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2019, 05:22:57 pm »
The pricing strategy on these is bloody outrageous, honestly. If you take just the 3 series, the base price for the lowest end model is approachable until you realize you need to spend at least another 3-4k on top of that to get the options necessary to make it worth your time. Probably a lot more. Pretty soon, it turns into a $10k instrument and if you want to spend that much, might as well save and put it toward a better model IMO. [edit] or go for a loaded scope from a Chinese OEM.

[edit again] the MDO option is even dumber...$50 worth of parts and a few thousand for a software unlock???
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 05:25:00 pm by 0culus »

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2019, 09:09:30 pm »

This is quite good for the new 3, 4 and 5 series BMW!
Oh wait...

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, tv84, 2N3055, genghisnico13, cpt.armadillo

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2019, 01:08:35 am »

This is quite good for the new 3, 4 and 5 series BMW!
Oh wait...

Wow, $3850 for the entry level 2CH job  :o
And $7550 for the entry 4 series, so much for their marketing slogan "Affordable on almost any budget" or whatever it was.
You'd want to really like that big screen GUI
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:11:24 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: mig_skyfighter

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2019, 03:15:58 am »
I was actually in contact with one of their salespeople. I spoke my mind about how ridiculous the pricing was....haven't heard back from them since.  :-DD

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2019, 11:09:59 pm »
Will there ever be a Tektronix 2 Series?? Will the 11 old MSO2000B be replaced sometimes? https://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/mso2000-dpo2000
Well, it has
Display resolution 480 horizontal × 234 vertical pixels (WQVGA).
  :) :) This was OK back in 2008.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline NuclearLabRat

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2019, 10:44:10 pm »
Mechanical engineer here to whom any scope is a horrible box filled with black magic only to be used when something goes horribly, horribly wrong.
I work instrumentation and am looking at an option to replace my group's current scope (it saves to 3.25" floppys) and was considering the 3 series.
Features I liked:
Very pretty screen. I like pretty colors
ability to decode ARINC 429 if you give TEK your first born
ability to decode UART

I see you all are not impressed with it for the price, but as we are not allowed to order Chinese products where I work, is there something else I should consider instead?
I don't think I need high bandwidth, I'm working with simple analog 0-10v signals and digital data streams.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2019, 11:01:17 pm »
If you can't buy Chinese then don't buy Tektronix because their (lower end) products are made in China. Keysight is made in Malaysia but maybe China too nowadays. You could consider R&S which is produced in Europe. The RTB2004 has an option to decode Arinc and it is 10 bit as well.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2019, 11:03:45 pm »
Mechanical engineer here to whom any scope is a horrible box filled with black magic only to be used when something goes horribly, horribly wrong.
I work instrumentation and am looking at an option to replace my group's current scope (it saves to 3.25" floppys) and was considering the 3 series.
Features I liked:
ability to decode UART

I see you all are not impressed with it for the price, but as we are not allowed to order Chinese products where I work, is there something else I should consider instead?
I don't think I need high bandwidth, I'm working with simple analog 0-10v signals and digital data streams.

Keysight 3000T series ? It is really fast, feels like analog scope.. Short acquisition memory though. Very good, nevertheless .
Rohde & Schwarz RTM3000 series? It's 10 bit, and 500uV/div, very nice for analog (sensors and such). Very long memory. Probably more expensive than Tek, but WAAAY better machine.

The following users thanked this post: NuclearLabRat

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2019, 11:07:09 pm »
If you can't buy Chinese then don't buy Tektronix because their (lower end) products are made in China. Keysight is made in Malaysia but maybe China too nowadays. You could consider R&S which is produced in Europe. The RTB2004 has an option to decode Arinc and it is 10 bit as well.

RTB2000 doesn't have AERO protocols AFAIK...
You need to go to RTM3000 to get them...

Or if PC USB scope is acceptable Picoscope does it all, and you can have 23" touch screen....

Offline NuclearLabRat

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2019, 11:19:36 pm »
I looked at the RTM3000, but haven't received a quote from them yet. Also looked at the wave surfer. Didn't look at the picoscope, but I don't think that will fly with management.
One limitation I should have mentioned is that no part of the order can be more than $5k. So we can buy the hardware(Tek scope and function generator option), and then add the software (bus decoders) later when the budget allows it.
As long as the company is not based in China, I don't think the bureaucrats here will notice where it is made.
I also looked at the HP scope, but Tek gives our company a deal and so it is cheaper.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2019, 11:50:54 pm »
As long as the company is not based in China, I don't think the bureaucrats here will notice where it is made.
So rebrands are OK then ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2019, 12:04:13 am »

Keysight have a major R&D and manufacturing hub in Malaysia and it looks pretty polished. Nothing to worry about in terms of quality ;)

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2019, 12:41:15 am »
One limitation I should have mentioned is that no part of the order can be more than $5k. So we can buy the hardware(Tek scope and function generator option), and then add the software (bus decoders) later when the budget allows it.

Any decent company or dealer will understand such capex limitations and do a custom invoice deal accordingly, just ask them.

The following users thanked this post: NuclearLabRat

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2019, 12:43:44 am »
Will there ever be a Tektronix 2 Series?? Will the 11 old MSO2000B be replaced sometimes? https://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/mso2000-dpo2000

Almost certainly. Don't expect it to compete well on price though.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2019, 07:12:13 am »

yeah, let's get the rebadged siglent at 2.5x the price from lecroy :palm:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2019, 07:51:41 am »

yeah, let's get the rebadged siglent at 2.5x the price from lecroy :palm:
I'm sure the BK Precision version is cheaper than LeCroy.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline NuclearLabRat

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2019, 10:29:54 pm »
Features I liked:
ability to decode UART

Keysight 3000T series ? It is really fast, feels like analog scope.. Short acquisition memory though. Very good, nevertheless .
Rohde & Schwarz RTM3000 series? It's 10 bit, and 500uV/div, very nice for analog (sensors and such). Very long memory. Probably more expensive than Tek, but WAAAY better machine.

I am currently leaning towards the RTM3000 based on your advice (my boss nixed my idea of getting the RTM2000 and a Micsig tablet for Arinc and UART and portability), but I have now gone 3 days without them responding to my many requests for a quote. Does anyone know if this is expected from R&S or if it is an anomaly?

Finally, in the review of the R&S RTM3000 posted on this forum it mentioned that the large memory, while nice, could cause the RTM3000 to feel laggy. Does anyone know if this something I will notice compared to the 3 series?
Thanks again for all your time.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2019, 10:54:07 pm »
The Tektronix likely slows down when using math. Keysight and R&S (and others too) use a decimated data set for math operations. This makes math fast but can introduce errors in some corner cases. AFAIK Tektronix uses the actual sampled data which always gives a correct result but it also means that it will need to process much more data.

If you have trouble getting a quote then you should contact Rich from R&S who is active on this forum.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA, NuclearLabRat

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2019, 01:39:03 am »
Features I liked:
ability to decode UART

I am currently leaning towards the RTM3000 based on your advice (my boss nixed my idea of getting the RTM2000 and a Micsig tablet for Arinc and UART and portability), but I have now gone 3 days without them responding to my many requests for a quote. Does anyone know if this is expected from R&S or if it is an anomaly?

Finally, in the review of the R&S RTM3000 posted on this forum it mentioned that the large memory, while nice, could cause the RTM3000 to feel laggy. Does anyone know if this something I will notice compared to the 3 series?
Thanks again for all your time.
Sorry to hear you’re not getting a response. Please PM me your location and contact info and I’ll make sure you get taken care of.

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, NuclearLabRat

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2019, 02:19:38 am »
Didn't see anybody mentioning that they are giving away some scopes:
https://info.tek.com/www-new-gen-scope-june4-wc.html

Where at on the page is this located? I'd like to enter!

Offline michalsykora

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2019, 11:32:38 pm »
Hi guys,

Tektronix 3 series main downside is, you can NOT have RF turned on (visible) at the same time as any other of the channels. I have not found this mentioned anywhere.

It is just two devices in one, in this case RF analyzer is really a useless benefit for me. You buy a scope with RF for time correlation, right?

BTW: The interface is really kind of slow, even the mouse is lagging behind more than on 4 series.

BTW2: This scope has 8 bit ADC (you can use up to 12bit HiRes mode). 3 series has different front end than 4 and 5 series (which are 12 bit and up to 16 bit in HiRes mode).

BTW3: 3 series LCD screen compared to 4 looks a bit diffused and not so sharp, kind of VGA like.

After finding the RF analyzer visibility limitation, I immediately went on to test 4 series.

- - - - - -

807441-0

First of all, I am looking for a contemporary, fast and modern mixed signal scope.

This unit was MSO 46 @ 350MHz (weirdly), firmware 1.20.7, with full software licenses as a DEMO unit (400 days licence).

I am younger generation user who is used to touchscreens, I never owned an oscilloscope.
I hate wasting money on stuff that is mediocre, I preffer paying more for high quality / investment.

I need:
- logical analyzer, current probe, SPI, I2C, UART
- no fan, or a really silent fan
- well made, intuitive and fast UI
- good screen, quality build

Not needed but nice and futureproofing:
- separate Aux In
- separate Aux Out, Ref In, AFG
- RF analyzer on every channel

- - - - - -

I will try to include anything positive and negative i have found.

For me there are two main downsides on a "built from scratch, new and fast GUI":

1. Even though there is quite a bit of nice and well thought out touch and visual elements present in the GUI, its frame rate looks slow and somehow fixed to the framerate of the acquired data presentation update rate. The screen framerate should be independent and prioritized for fast GUI response we are used to from high tech smartphones and tablets, to match the quality of the hardware panel controls. I think to wait for data to be ready to be shown is a minor issue and to be expected, with a lot of processing that a sheer number of inputs, search, measure, math and other functions on this scope introduce. I hope I write it clearly.

2. I work in professional live audio industry, where touchscreens on mixing consoles and tablet / smartphone remote controls are very common. I am into UI, HMI, LEDs, audio, maybe some RF modules.
When debugging these mixed signal devices, there is quite a lot to watch for, and a lot of times I am looking at a broader context, then at solving some particular issue found, then again on the broader context and so on.
Tek 4 series allow to save a "Setup" to a file and then reload it, which is awesome idea BUT:
- The load of this file starts with a "default setup", when every probe is turned off, display is cleared, etc. etc.
- A complete load of setup file takes around 30 seconds, which is really too much, considering nothing has changed in the physical connections and settings. I just wanted to see a different combination / representation of the same data on the scope for particular purpose.
- If there were a possibility for the scope to compare actual state with the setup file I want to load, this "switchover" could take considerably shorter time and act similarly to a layer switching of faders on an audio mixing console, which makes your use of the panel and display context sensitive and therefore the operation is much quicker!

- - - - - -

Positive:
- execelent quality of buttons and knobs, especially those two cursor knobs
- every off (not visible) channel is aquired all the time, so you can turn on channels after the aquisition and the data is there to be shown
- 30A current probe is amazing
- matte display, option to have "black on white" color scheme for bright environments (and for export of waveform images to pdfs etc.)
- you can change channel color coding (including front panel buttons and led rings) to match your preference or project, trigger knob ring has the color of the source
- Aux In is simple edge trigger only - but handy

Weird quirks:
- 4 series has a better position of USB connectors than 3 series, but both 3 and 4 have them a bit too close to used buttons in the bottom of the panel.
- When selecting bus decode on analog channels, all of the predefined triggers are set to 0V, which is of little use and you have to change this to some milivolts above 0V to trigger.

Negative:
- Long startup time.
- Scope freezed 2 times in 5 hours.

- - - - - -

GUI:
- FHD display is so much more practical, where:
- - amazing feature to have is Overlay / Split view of channels
- - nice option to Group needed channels to a part of the Split window
- - possibility to resize individual parts of the screen, dragging of tables, plots etc.
- - unfortunately when turning channel off and on again, Grouping of the channel is lost
- - Grouped channels could have all their respective vertical division values displayed in adjacent columns on the right side where they are nicely colored

- a lot of scrolling is needed when multiple channels, busses and other features are active because of:
- - AFG, Horizontal and Trigger windows take unnecessary space on the bottom line of badges / buttons
- - Run/Stopped button take unnecessary space as well (Run / Single buttons on the top of the scope are perfectly visible and tell me far better what is happening)
- - Clock badge take unnecessary space. I have clock elsewhere in the workplace, not needed on the scope. If somebody likes to see the clock, it would be more adequate in the top right corner, where is plenty of space
- - DVM badge takes unneccesary space and could be well hidden inside Measure button

- "Add New..." section on right top corner has quite small buttons for my fingers, I kept pressing Note instead of Search quite often

- Missing Trash gestures to the bottom and side of the touchscreen as they are present on 3 series! You have to drag everything to trash (or invoke a right click menu) which is quite slow.

- Very nice would be an option to SWITCH Measure, Search and Bus decode to be done JUST on the visible data. As these processes are now done on whole captured data (which is sometimes very useful), it slows the unit down significantly. Of course you need a full data Bus decode for triggering from the Bus, but that is just one Bus decode, with much lower speed penalty.

Feature requests:

- Bus decode displayed charactes horizontal size to be maximized, not limited to length of the serial data. Binary representation is longer and not visible even if it could be, same applies for hex and ascii in various zoom levels. (check my photo)

- Push and hold on Channel/Math/Ref button to select it as a Trigger source?
(this would avoid some menu diving)

- Fast Setup switching.

- Faster GUI framerate. Say when you turn Bus decode ON, it takes long time (2-3 seconds) until the GUI lets you know, that you have pressed the button, just the menu did not appear yet.

- - - - - -

Unfortunately i did not have the possibility to check out the logical probe (and the firmware behaviour), as the sales person forgot to bring it. I have just seen the different 3 series logical probe, which is a very nice one.

- - - - - -

Tektronix 4 series needs quite a lot of work until I consider it to be worth the expense. Tektronix 3 series is a no go for me.

Apart from that, it is surprisingly modern and slick and much better than everything else I have seen so far.

Tektronix MSO 4 has potential to be the best mixed signal scope on the market.

PS: I think 4 series are MDO, and 3 series are MSO with RF, and that the official product names are other way around and confusing.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:36:08 pm by michalsykora »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, egonotto, genghisnico13

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf