Author Topic: New Tektronix TBS2000 oscilloscopes  (Read 80489 times)

Online ADT123Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Pico Technology
New Tektronix TBS2000 oscilloscopes
« on: August 01, 2016, 06:16:13 pm »
Apologies if posted elsewhere but looks like Tek have launched a new range of low(ish) cost scopes.  TBS2000 series.  Not much on the web yet but found this:

http://www.top-oscilloscopes.com/fr/produits/oscilloscopes/oscilloscopes-num%C3%A9riques/tektronix-tbs2072-oscilloscope-num%C3%A9rique-70-mhz-%C3%A0-2-voies-detail

Disclaimer: I have worked for Pico Technology for over 30 years and designed some of their early oscilloscopes. 

We are always recruiting talented hardware and software engineers! Happy to answer Pico related questions when time permits but here as electronics is a hobby

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Re: New Tektronix TBS2000 oscilloscopes
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 06:24:48 pm »
http://www.top-oscilloscopes.com/download/PDF/Tektronix%20TBS2000.PDF
The pdf file was created on 24. 6. 2016.
Looks nice, but waveform update rate is unspecified. It looks like an original design, not similar to any Siglent, Rigol or GW Instek. I do not see any visual persistence feature like that on Rigol DS2000 or DS1000Z.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:27:11 pm by Hydrawerk »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 06:33:23 pm »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 06:45:08 pm »
I think the specs are preliminary. The 20MPts memory depth on all channels is interesting (Keysight doesn't even come close to that) and Tek finally put a display with a decent resolution in a low-end scope but what is missing are detailed specs like FFT length and decoding options. Without decoding this scope is just too expensive and also not very suitable for modern education.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
  • Acting user manual reader & forum search engine
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you"

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 06:54:19 pm »
They should do an upgrade to this old DPO2000/MSO2000 scope with that funny low resolution LCD.
http://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/mso2000-dpo2000

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 06:55:44 pm »
The TBS2000 oscilloscope series looks very ugly IMO.

Did you see the multi-color handle? And the panda screen is definitely not looking nice.

The feet look like a horse that is about to leave its stable =)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 06:58:52 pm »
According to http://www.newark.com/tektronix-tbs2000-oscilloscope is the waveform update rate 10 000.
Nothing in the official datasheet. http://www.newark.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/cms/asset/pdf/common/tektronix/Tektronix-TBS2000.pdf
Is there no video trigger and no serial decoding?
It is 5 years from 2011 when Keysight DSOX2000 was launched and there is still no competitor from Tektronix in the same price range.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:03:49 pm by Hydrawerk »

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
  • Acting user manual reader & forum search engine
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 07:46:07 pm »
I have not used video trigger in this century millennium, have you? The serial decoding is probably just a "insert coin" option. The big question is how usable are the decoding options, the Keysight is very fast and usable on decoding.

Johan-Fredrik
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:48:10 pm by LA7SJA »
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you"

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 07:48:21 pm »
A specific button for "courseware" - what a waste of space. :palm:

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 07:50:37 pm »
I have not used video trigger in this century millennium, have you? The serial decoding is probably just a "insert coin" option. The big question is how usable are the decoding options, the Keysight is very fast and usable on decoding.

Johan-Fredrik
Another really useful thing on the KS ( not sure which models can do it) is that it can do two serial decodes simultaneously - same or different types.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 07:52:01 pm »
I think the specs are preliminary. The 20MPts memory depth on all channels is interesting (Keysight doesn't even come close to that) and Tek finally put a display with a decent resolution in a low-end scope but what is missing are detailed specs like FFT length and decoding options. Without decoding this scope is just too expensive and also not very suitable for modern education.

I think education is what this thing was actually designed for. There seems to be a huge emphasis on the built-in "courseware" (which seems to be much more explanatory than the usual built-in help) and integration into Tek's classroom system.

This would also explain why it comes with Tek's TekVPI probe connector system, which doesn't make much sense for a conventional entry-level scope (too expensive).

I do like the LXI control screen.  :-+ I hope it works without Java  ;)

The overall scope properties remind me a lot of OWON. Tek already rebadges one of OWON's AWG series, and while this scope doesn't seem to have a direct OWON equivalent I wouldn't be surprised if this is in fact produced by OWON as a (heavily altered) OEM variant.

I doubt Tek sees this scope as a competitor to Rigol's DS1000z/DS2000/DS4000 Series, or the GW Instek GDS-2000E or the Keysight DSO-X2000, scopes which attract hobbyists and small businesses. The new TBS2000 seems to be designed particularly for that one market where Tek still makes a lot of sales - education.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 08:37:24 pm »

I doubt Tek sees this scope as a competitor to Rigol's DS1000z/DS2000/DS4000 Series, or the GW Instek GDS-2000E or the Keysight DSO-X2000, scopes which attract hobbyists and small businesses. The new TBS2000 seems to be designed particularly for that one market where Tek still makes a lot of sales - education.
Maybe but if it has some options like decoding the long memory sure makes it an interesting competitor for Keysight's offerings. This price for the 100MHz 4 channel model is around 2000 euro. So far the low end Tektronix scopes where plagued by short memory and small, low resolutions screens but it seems they finally addressed those issues.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 08:38:09 pm »
The overall scope properties remind me a lot of OWON.
I thought Hantek.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 09:15:52 pm »
The overall scope properties remind me a lot of OWON.
I thought Hantek.  :-//
Place your bets folks.....

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 09:18:51 pm »
No matter what market this scope is designed for, it just looks ridiculous and is under-powered.

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 10:42:16 pm »
Quite impressive Tek finally does something cheap that has long enough memory.
So, it sure has to be an adaption (with these very "nice" TekVPI connectors) of some chinese design, as Tek surely would find yet another use for their "great" 1k/2.5k/10k CCD storage chips they seem to have a few freight train loads too many around.
I wonder if it can actually power active/current probes without an external PSU this time, and how many. It is quite a shame a DPO2k cant power anything, and a DPO3k can just power 2 current probes.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 12:03:48 am »

Looks nice, but waveform update rate is unspecified.
I don't see any indication from that datasheet that it has intensity graded display. If it hasn't, it's just a sad joke.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 12:13:31 am »
According to http://www.newark.com/tektronix-tbs2000-oscilloscope is the waveform update rate 10 000.

I think that may be an error - it isn't mentioned at all in the datasheet. Neither are decodes.
So it looks like for over 1Keuro you get no intensity grading, no decodes.
But you do get 15 horizontal divs an wifi dongle compatibility - woop deedoo! :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
 :palm:

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 02:00:08 am »

The only time I have used video triggering was on my 2440 while playing with it.  Surprisingly it handled high definition 1200+ line displays just fine even though it was designed when NTSC and PAL was it.  Of course any analog oscilloscope with video triggering and trigger on delay can do the same thing.

I do not see anything about logic inputs which suggests to me that it will not have serial decoding capability.

The 5 year warranty will be nice but I think this model is intended as a replacement for their TBS1000 models although it has a lower bandwidth.  It is interesting that it uses the TekVPI probe interface though.

On a side note, the Tektronix web site is so fucking useless now.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 02:04:22 am »
Not much detail yet but no examples of intensity grading in the documents so far, and a shame to not have an integrated signal generator even if it has toy specifications for teaching labs.

But its carrying the TBS model name and has a CMRR specification for the inputs, along with the active probe interface. A mistake, should have been crosstalk?

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 04:29:02 am »
Not much detail yet but no examples of intensity grading in the documents so far, and a shame to not have an integrated signal generator even if it has toy specifications for teaching labs.

I did not see any examples of intensity grading either so while I am sure it supports variable persistence, it probably only displays one acquisition at a time and has a low waveform acquisition rate like their CCD based digitizers.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 05:07:18 am »
Linked in sleuthing...

From the dates there may have been some changes in the hardware since then, but its something to go on for now.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 06:23:01 am »
Sound like a scope designed by committee, with marketing taking a leading role and insuring it does not eat into their existing model's sales.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 06:38:34 am »
1400 Euros for 70Mhz, 2-channel 'scope with very basic features... and people are salivating?

Just because it says "Tektronix" on it?

I don't get it.  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf