Author Topic: New toy(?) scope Fnirsi DPOX180H, claimed 180MHz/500MSps (May 2023)  (Read 89529 times)

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New toy(?) scope Fnirsi DPOX180H, claimed 180MHz/500MSps (May 2023)
« Reply #525 on: February 12, 2024, 05:45:33 pm »
Old in the sense of the initial offering or v1.

The following users thanked this post: Randy222

Offline iceek

« Reply #526 on: February 23, 2024, 12:05:22 pm »
Is there posibility to change menu language in menu or by flashing new FW?

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #527 on: February 23, 2024, 12:47:54 pm »
Is there posibility to change menu language in menu or by flashing new FW?
press move+power-on buttons together, choose language and press mod/ok

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #528 on: March 04, 2024, 09:16:38 am »
After a couple of hours of use, I wanted to turn it off and the screen crashed.
after pressing the power button again, it turned off normally.
I hope they release a bug fix soon.

Have they already replaced the incorrectly chosen capacities in the newer sold versions?

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #529 on: March 04, 2024, 12:18:42 pm »

I hope they release a bug fix soon.

Have they already replaced the incorrectly chosen capacities in the newer sold versions?

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #530 on: March 08, 2024, 05:23:49 am »

I sold my "old" version and bought the new one a couple of months ago. I have not disassembled it, but considering what I saw in my tests after receiving the unit I don't think they did.
I didn't bother modding this new unit because even with "better" caps the problem wasn't fully gone. It was better, but still there.

I can check by opening the unit tomorrow, assuming people here are truly interested in knowing whether they made any change to the caps they picked for the new version  :-//

The following users thanked this post: csuhi17

Offline infino

• Contributor
« Reply #531 on: March 08, 2024, 10:15:28 am »
What's the sense of replacing it then?

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #532 on: March 14, 2024, 01:22:10 pm »

Just to be clear, the problem occurs when measuring low-frequency waveforms (up to a couple of KHz) in AC coupling mode, with the probe at 10x. If you don't replace the caps, you get a severely attenuated signal under those conditions. Replacing the caps improves the situation and lowers the attenuation by a lot, making it a lot more useful in those scenarios BUT it doesn't eliminate it entirely.

After I sold my old unit and got a new one I couldn't be bothered to do the mod, mostly because I've not used the device a lot, and but also because I'm already aware of the problem so I can avoid it by not using the probe at 10x with low frequency signals if I want AC coupling.

I might still do the mod, but it's not in my priority list.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #533 on: March 14, 2024, 05:39:57 pm »

Just to be clear, the problem occurs when measuring low-frequency waveforms (up to a couple of KHz) in AC coupling mode, with the probe at 10x. If you don't replace the caps, you get a severely attenuated signal under those conditions. Replacing the caps improves the situation and lowers the attenuation by a lot, making it a lot more useful in those scenarios BUT it doesn't eliminate it entirely.

After I sold my old unit and got a new one I couldn't be bothered to do the mod, mostly because I've not used the device a lot, and but also because I'm already aware of the problem so I can avoid it by not using the probe at 10x with low frequency signals if I want AC coupling.

I might still do the mod, but it's not in my priority list.

So in this case where 10x is an issue, is it better to use 1x with a divider network? Example pic.

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #534 on: March 14, 2024, 06:53:48 pm »

So in this case where 10x is an issue, is it better to use 1x with a divider network? Example pic.

Well if you want to start adding external circuitry it would be simpler to try external ac-blocking first, since it's their selection of ac-blocking cap what is questionable (although I think at one point it was determined that the ac-blocking is happening after the input resistor that forms the voltage divider with the probe, and thus it's not as simple).

Now, I don't really do a lot of AC probing. At most I use AC coupling when measuring noise in switching supplies, but the frequency in those scenarios is usually is high enough for this to not be an issue, and if they were really low-frequency (in the <10 KHz range), I still could get around this problem by not using the probe at 10x.

If I had a need to measure high voltage low frequency AC signals regularly, I would definitely prefer to mod the unit over adding external circuitry or ignoring the issue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf